Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
I'm all for closed shoes ...and barefoot? People do this? Yuck.

As for clothes, what if someone is going on vacation? You can be casual and still dress nicely. A good T-shirt and jeans can look nice. Even khaki shorts look fine (I like to call them business shorts but that term hasn't caught on... yet).

Athletic wear should be left on the field.

I used to work at YYC and would enjoy passenger-watching. Baby-blue matching top and pant set anyone? I believe it was some sort of velvety material too. It has to be quite hideous for me to notice what other people are wearing.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
barefoot on the plane is not a problem, especially long haul. i actually dont care if you walk around and go to the washroom barefoot. its your feet. Just dont pick scabs on your feet and sprinkle them (one DUB-YYZ last year).

I dont agree with MLL dress code. that boat sailed a long time ago. I have mine (jeans. plain black tshirt) but if you're wearing shorts or those yoga pants for men from lululemon.. hey, thats your thing.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by karachi
barefoot on the plane is not a problem, especially long haul.
I strongly disagree. I don't have a foot phobia, but unless the feet are extremely well taken care of, I don't want to see dry skin, yellowing gnarly toe nails, bunions, etc. on a long haul flight (or at all). The beach or pool, sure, but not on a flight. It is just gross. Rarely does it seem to be the well taken care of feet that are exposed on the flights I am on.

And the going to the washroom with no shoes on makes me a gag a little bit. Yes, I know they are not my feet, but even thinking about what someone else is stepping in makes me feel ill. Ladies, you do know men have bad aim, right? I was glad to see the slippers on my last Asia flight in J and not just the socks. So much more civilized.

I agree with the comments of penguin and others regarding appropriate attire. Dressing nicely but casually does not equate to being uncomfortable. My fellow North Americans seem to be the biggest offenders on this front. You don't have to look glamorous, but there is not harm in making a tiny bit of effort to look decent. Unless flights are going to start offering in-flight yoga or boot camp (not a bad idea actually), please leave the Lululemon gear in your checked bag (or illegal carry-on).
Old May 29, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE
Agree MLL dress code is a losing battle. Personally I'm 50/50 whether i'm in jeans/collarshirt or suit. Doesn't really bother me what people are wearing.

Last night I sat beside an NBA all star heading to YVR - he was dressed in track pants and T. Big, fit guy - woudn't want to be the person telling him he coudn't enter the lounge

PS - he had the coolest rollerbag I've ever seen. All of us in J were jealous. Custom made??

PPS - really, really pleasant, nice guy. Unassuming if you can be that at 6ft 6 with massive shoulders.

PPPS- Pretty sure I know who the NBA Live 16 Cover Athlete is now Although he didn't cop to it!
Old May 29, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: ACSE, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Too many people worrying about things that dont't affect them. If you don't like what I'm wearing, that's your problem - not mine.

I work in a professional environment - I wear suits / ties most of the time.

But when I go on vacation, usually backpacking in Asia or South/Central America, I have my backpack with bare essentials - shorts, t-shirts, sandals, underwear and toiletries. That's it. It doesn't smell - I get my landry done every few days. I'm not going to lug around extra clothes and shoes just to please some people on a plane or in a lounge.

Just no hate speech or similar - that's not acceptable anywhere.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zarg
Too many people worrying about things that dont't affect them. If you don't like what I'm wearing, that's your problem - not mine.

But when I go on vacation, usually backpacking in Asia or South/Central America, I have my backpack with bare essentials - shorts, t-shirts, sandals, underwear and toiletries. That's it. It doesn't smell - I get my landry done every few days. I'm not going to lug around extra clothes and shoes just to please some people on a plane or in a lounge.

Just no hate speech or similar - that's not acceptable anywhere.
I am sorry, but having someone's bare feet hanging over the seat or picking scabs, or rubbing their sweat all over the seats because they aren't wearing at least t-shirt or polo shirt is definitely my business to complain about.

there are ways to dress casually, even for vacation, and then there are ways to dress to offend.

Feet also carry nasty germs, viruses, warts, and fungi. It's just gross, especially in confined spaces with hundreds of people together. There should be a very strict no-barefoot and skin covered rule.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; May 29, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old May 29, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jjlm
My fellow North Americans seem to be the biggest offenders on this front.
Bingo.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Seriously, we have far worse things to deal with in the MLL than shorts and tank tops. I think Zarg put it best: being bothered by what someone else is wearing is a "you problem." And, of course, it's a different story if it's a hygiene issue, Allvest. But who enters an MLL topless??
Old May 29, 2015, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
Seriously, we have far worse things to deal with in the MLL than shorts and tank tops. I think Zarg put it best: being bothered by what someone else is wearing is a "you problem." And, of course, it's a different story if it's a hygiene issue, Allvest. But who enters an MLL topless??
Haven't seen it yet...I am sure it'll be all over the net.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Zarg

But when I go on vacation, usually backpacking in Asia or South/Central America, I have my backpack with bare essentials - shorts, t-shirts, sandals, underwear and toiletries. That's it.
Exactly. Mind your own business. I wear work clothes at work. Thats enough.
When I fly, I ll wear whatever I like, including flip flops if I so desire.

Its the MLL, not a boardroom.

Whats more annoying, someone wearing flipflops and a tshirt going about their business, or some DYKWIA in a suit yelling into his phone about the latest "deal" he must close....

Agree though, barefoot=gross
Old May 29, 2015, 11:56 am

I think you are missing the point here. These are just "pet peeves" which, by definition, are things that annoy someone more than the same thing annoys people generally. (Although, some of us do seem to have the same pet peeves)

I don't think anyone seriously thinks AC is going to introduce a dress code, nor should it. People can continue to dress as they wish and if I don't like it, it will indeed be my problem, not theirs. I only wish people would generally try a little harder. It is not the backpackers or other adventure travellers (provided they have cleaned themselves up as best they can before the flight) that bother me, it is the general slovenliness that seems to be taking over which disappoints. Again, it is my disappointment and I know it is my problem. But it remains a pet peeve.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Allvest
Haven't seen it yet...I am sure it'll be all over the net.
PM me first when you do -- I want to have a good laugh* at that

I'd also like to expand on my "you problem" comment. I guess the reason I feel strongly about this is because you're being offended by someone else's clothes not because they're harming you in any way, but because you're judging them. And I use "you" generally here -- Allvest gets enough grief on this board as it is

I recently came out of a phase where I absolutely needed to understand why people did the things they did. Why is this person dressed this way? Why is that person saying such a thing? Why are they doing that? I was convinced I needed to understand the reasons behind what everyone was doing around me, even if that meant I needed to guess (or draw ridiculous conclusions). And of course I would make subsequent decisions based on erroneous, or worse - fictional - conclusions.

Now I try to only worry about the things that affect me. For example, I'd worry about Mr. Gross Person's disgusting feet when they're on my armrest. When they're on someone else's, I laugh*.

*Because it's perfectly ok to judge someone if it's for amusement purposes only, not condescending or better-than-thou purposes... in my mind, anyway
Old May 29, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

PM me first when you do -- I want to have a good laugh* at that

I'd also like to expand on my "you problem" comment. I guess the reason I feel strongly about this is because you're being offended by someone else's clothes not because they're harming you in any way, but because you're judging them. And I use "you" generally here -- Allvest gets enough grief on this board as it is

I recently came out of a phase where I absolutely needed to understand why people did the things they did. Why is this person dressed this way? Why is that person saying such a thing? Why are they doing that? I was convinced I needed to understand the reasons behind what everyone was doing around me, even if that meant I needed to guess (or draw ridiculous conclusions). And of course I would make subsequent decisions based on erroneous, or worse - fictional - conclusions.

Now I try to only worry about the things that affect me. For example, I'd worry about Mr. Gross Person's disgusting feet when they're on my armrest. When they're on someone else's, I laugh*.

*Because it's perfectly ok to judge someone if it's for amusement purposes only, not condescending or better-than-thou purposes... in my mind, anyway
There are bigger issues. Sometimes "clothes make the man" and sometimes it's just appearances.

I don't really care, but please keep your feet covered and stop picking your nose, ears and scabs, refrain from flicking toejam, fingernail clippings and do NOT use your table napkin as a handkerchief. Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing and do wash your hands after using the restroom. With soap.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I don't really care, but please keep your feet covered and stop picking your nose, ears and scabs, refrain from flicking toejam, fingernail clippings and do NOT use your table napkin as a handkerchief. Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing and do wash your hands after using the restroom. With soap.
Completely agree. While imposing a dress code at a MLL may seem extreme, basic human manners should be followed. Most of the things you mention affect public health. And the fact that someone should post rules makes me think very poorly about society.

The last one is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. My wife says most women wash their hands after going to the bathroom irrespective of what they have done. Many men don't wash their hands after peeing.

That is ABSOLUTELY disgusting. Some may make the argument that urine is sterile - fine, but the wee-wee isn't. (who knows where it's been!) The fact that society doesn't even have a shaming culture against this is sad. In fact at the YYZ MLL, I'd say the majority of men don't wash their hands after peeing. And that handle thing - it's GROSS in the men's bathroom. And the auto open door thing takes FOREVER. YUCK. And these are the same guys grabbing the tongs for food. Unreal.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

Amen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.