FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1633837-air-canada-takes-westjet-holiday-video-its-own.html)

Q Shoe Guy Dec 3, 2014 5:18 pm

Are the pilots and flight attendants models ?

PLeblond Dec 3, 2014 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 23938335)
Are the pilots and flight attendants models ?

Judging by the francophone accent on Pilot #2, I would think not.

Q Shoe Guy Dec 3, 2014 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 23938366)
Judging by the francophone accent on Pilot #2, I would think not.

Models can't be Francophones ?

PLeblond Dec 3, 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 23938377)
Models can't be Francophones ?

Yes, they can. But that did not sound like a "professional" accent. Had they hired actors, I would think they would have hired better actors. The guys playing the pilots seems perfectly uncomfortable in a crowd so it looked legit to me.

RCyyz Dec 3, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm taking this one at face value. AC did something nice for a bunch of people.

Good on AC! ^

Q Shoe Guy Dec 3, 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 23938494)
Yes, they can. But that did not sound like a "professional" accent. Had they hired actors, I would think they would have hired better actors. The guys playing the pilots seems perfectly uncomfortable in a crowd so it looked legit to me.

What about the FA were they good or bad actors, and were they real FA?

PLeblond Dec 3, 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 23938519)
What about the FA were they good or bad actors, and were they real FA?

Didn't really notice.

jbb Dec 3, 2014 6:28 pm

I'm not a marketing/PR/advertising expert (though Ms. JBB is), but my problem with this ad is that it is so obviously derivative of Westjet's campaign. And, what's worse is that it isn't even as good in terms of execution or production as Westjet's (either last year's or this year's).

As AC already has a brand image problem with many average Canadians, the risk with an ad like this, is that it furthers the cynicism people associate with the brand. ie. that AC is unoriginal (for copying Westjet), behind the times (this ad came out after WS already put out 2 similar ads), and not as competent or creative (production values on WS ads were much higher).

I don't consider myself an AC-hater, but I'm pretty disappointed with this ad. AC had an opportunity to try something fresh and original, but this just seems late, uncreative and not well executed which unfortunately does reflect back on the brand as a whole and management in specific.

Good on the patrons of the Maple Leaf for scoring free tickets though!

Jagboi Dec 3, 2014 7:24 pm

I've been past the Maple Leaf pub and looked at the menu and I didn't think that it offered anything particularly "Canadian" it looked much like the pub grub at many other pubs in the UK. Aside from a few flags for decoration it didn't feel Canadian to me. Wasn't enough to tempt me to have a meal there.

Q Shoe Guy Dec 3, 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 23937289)
From a marketing perspective, at Christmas, AC isn't looking to compare with Westjet on a who-is-more-deserving basis, but rather making a connection with a middle class audience - the bulk of its clientele - by associating them with the joys of a family reunion.

Both videos have merit in their own right.

Expatriates living in London, England=middle class Canadians......ROTFL ! I am sure coffee bean will be by to set you straight ! LOL

djjaguar64 Dec 3, 2014 7:31 pm

The damage is done to AC's name and credibility, no matter what tactics they employ it will not work.

jbb Dec 3, 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 23938846)
I've been past the Maple Leaf pub and looked at the menu and I didn't think that it offered anything particularly "Canadian" it looked much like the pub grub at many other pubs in the UK. Aside from a few flags for decoration it didn't feel Canadian to me. Wasn't enough to tempt me to have a meal there.

Haha yup. I lived in London for 6 years. Walked into the Maple Leaf once, had one beer and walked straight out never to return. Never really understood any of the charms or attractions of the Maple Leaf, and from my experience with other Canadian ex-pats in London, they all felt the same.

capebretonboy Dec 3, 2014 7:52 pm

A nice video on AC's part and it's a wonderful gesture! It's too bad AC's video is not getting nearly the traffic and attention the WS videos have garnered. From a marketing perspective, it maybe did not attract enough eyeballs to justify the cost. Although it could yet go viral.

upgradesecret Dec 3, 2014 10:24 pm

Well the haters are really out tonight.

farmerbrown Dec 3, 2014 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret (Post 23939558)
Well the haters are really out tonight.

I disagree with you. When I first saw the video and how quickly it was done it was clear not much thought had gone into it. It was very lame. An embarrassment as far as I'm concerned, and as someone else posted, a derivative of the ws campaign. For the record, I'm not a hater