Search

Self-upgrading passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mlbmlb
Obnoxious passenger!

He kept coming back to use the washroom, try to get drinks, and barged his way to the front when we landed.
I can't even imagine how I'd react to that.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
lol when you said OP I thought you were talking about yourself and got so confused

I wonder how many pax actually get away with self upgrading. I can't believe some people actually have the guts to do that lol
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
lol when you said OP I thought you were talking about yourself and got so confused

I wonder how many pax actually get away with self upgrading. I can't believe some people actually have the guts to do that lol
I could see it working on something like YYZ-YOW where there's no need to consult the manifest (priority meals), and they're super rushed to get service done.

Board last, take an empty J seat.

One time, I boarded last, and sat in the only empty J seat (yes, I had a BP for J). It wasn't until meal orders that I learned I wasn't sitting in my assigned seat. Someone else had taken it, and I didn't notice (or care). But that could very easily have turned into them asking me for my BP, because I was in the seat that was supposed to be empty.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I could see it working on something like YYZ-YOW where there's no need to consult the manifest (priority meals), and they're super rushed to get service done.

Board last, take an empty J seat.

One time, I boarded last, and sat in the only empty J seat (yes, I had a BP for J). It wasn't until meal orders that I learned I wasn't sitting in my assigned seat. Someone else had taken it, and I didn't notice (or care). But that could very easily have turned into them asking me for my BP, because I was in the seat that was supposed to be empty.
Hmm this is true.

Flight attendants just take head counts before closing and not who is sitting where, correct?

Thinking about it... It'd be more worthwhile and easier to get away with for the E+ seats on the US legacy carriers. I don't think 99.99999% of people even think about this stuff so I doubt it rarely actually happens.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
In my experience both Delta and United are pretty vigilant about poaching of E+. I've seen poachers adjacent to me evicted from E+ on both airlines.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given that this seemed to be after the SD had the manifest, the door would have been closed, so does it really matter?
If it was indeed after the door closed and it was truly irrelevant, perhaps not, but the guy was an ... and perhaps that little extra humiliation would have made him think twice about doing it again in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by mlbmlb
Obnoxious passenger!

He kept coming back to use the washroom, try to get drinks, and barged his way to the front when we landed.

if I was the SD, at this point I would have called security for when the plane landed... just to waste his time and question him thoroughly and let him know that such behaviour is suspicious and there was a debate to land early to remove him from the aircraft. That might scare him into not doing it again.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I believe all head counts are done by cabin - when I am near the front usually
the FA reports to the SD something like " 122 and 17".
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I believe all head counts are done by cabin - when I am near the front usually
the FA reports to the SD something like " 122 and 17".
I've always wondered what the numbers meant. Seriously.

One of my favorite self-upgrading pax moments was when I boarded last (no roller bag) and the J cabin was already full.

It took a while to convince the guy in my seat to show his boarding pass. He kept trying to convince me that the airline made a mistake and must have double booked us, and that I would be SOL. His boarding pass was for a seat in the back.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I have noticed a number of former SE's who are still boarding Zone 1, demanding concierge service and upgrades lately.

What is it about stages of grief ...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I have noticed a number of former SE's who are still boarding Zone 1, demanding concierge service and upgrades lately.

I have all of my SE luggage tags since 2014. I will wear them all on a hat the year that I am no longer SE.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)

How do you know they're "former" SE's? Last year's tags?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I think the oldest SE tag I still use is from 2011. I'm still an SE, I just don't replace old tags that are still in decent shape.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by CanRulez
2016 tags.

I think that since they look similar, they can get away with it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
2016 tags.

I think that since they look similar, they can get away with it.
I still have the 2016 tags on some of my bags and 2017 on others. I also use my 2017 tags with the red straps from 2016 because they work and look better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.