FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Welcomes Agreement to Expand Air Services between Canada and Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1553196-air-canada-welcomes-agreement-expand-air-services-between-canada-mexico.html)

tcook052 Feb 19, 2014 1:45 am

Air Canada Welcomes Agreement to Expand Air Services between Canada and Mexico

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1308...ada-and-mexico

MONTREAL, Feb. 18, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today welcomed the signing of an expanded Canada-Mexico Air Transport Agreement that will facilitate flying between the two countries and benefit business, travelers and shippers.

"Mexico is an important market for Air Canada and this expanded agreement will further strengthen air linkages between Canada and our NAFTA partner. Among other things it provides an open framework for direct flights, introduces more commercial flexibility and contains provisions for safety and security. This is an important agreement and we encourage the federal government to take the next step to build travel and tourism between Canada and Mexico and relax visa requirements for Mexican citizens visiting Canada in order that we can derive the full benefit of this agreement," said Derek Vanstone, Vice President of Corporate Strategy, Industry and Government Affairs at Air Canada. "More generally, the agreement also accords with Air Canada's desire for liberalized air agreements with large and important markets to expand air services and access in order to provide greater choice, convenience and travel opportunities for all Canadians, whether for business or leisure."

ACYYZ/SD Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am

I thought a blue skies agreement already existed between Canada and Mexico. AC already flies to MEX-PVR-CUN-CZM-HUX-SJD-ZIH. Zacatecas here we come?

airbus320 Feb 19, 2014 5:14 am

I do hope that more flights open to Mexico from Winnipeg,

folkart Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

I would love a Dreamliner flight YYC MEX my guess is that it would be a great aircraft for this route.

uni3052 Feb 19, 2014 11:00 am

I would love to get YUL-MEX service back.

stinger Feb 19, 2014 11:38 am

Not holding out any hope for YEG getting any Mexico from AC. ;)

CloudsBelow Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 22375629)
I thought a blue skies agreement already existed between Canada and Mexico. AC already flies to MEX-PVR-CUN-CZM-HUX-SJD-ZIH. Zacatecas here we come?

LOL ..... Exactly.
Wasn't as if any previous service was cut due to lack of approvals. What was the point of this?
Canadian and Mexican airlines are now clear to lose money serving more cities with increased frequencies than ever before!!

maradori Feb 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Hope this means we can :-: Mexican hat trick :-: again :D :D :D :D

The Lev Feb 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by folkart (Post 22377960)
I would love a Dreamliner flight YYC MEX my guess is that it would be a great aircraft for this route.

Where would the demand come from to even come close to filling a 787 on this route?

Likely at the extreme end of a 319's capabilities but the 737MAX could handle it once they begin to arrive if there were enough profitable volume.

Swarez Feb 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Isn't Mexico City slot controlled?
Doubt we see AC or WJ to the expansion rather Aeromexico expanding more into Canada.
Although my company has lots of people in GDL but there mostly blue collar

Swarez Feb 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Double post

aircanada_loyal Feb 19, 2014 1:38 pm

The national carrier of Mexico, Aerméxico, is a member of Skyteam not Star Alliance.

drvannostren Feb 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by stinger (Post 22378216)
Not holding out any hope for YEG getting any Mexico from AC. ;)

YEG-CUN on Rouge would make sense.

winnipegrev Feb 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 22379234)
YEG-CUN on Rouge would make sense.

Sounds like a route which could work with Rouge's costs.

I too share others' confusion about this announcement... Never heard of any airline not being able to operate Canada-Mexico due to being denied rights. Open skies must just be a formality.

Vasco Feb 19, 2014 3:08 pm

As someone who lives in YEG, but whose work in the oil business takes him down to MEX regularly (and hopefully, even more regularly soon...) the great hope is a much needed YYC-MEX. Already me and many of my colleagues are happy about the YEG-DFW on AA, but all os us would love to see a non-stop from Alberta to MEX. As Mexico opens up its energy sector, there is *HUGE* business demand for us to get down there.

However, the reality is that this is probably more about Aeromexico (and Interjet and Volaris) getting more access to Canada than anything to do with AC or Westjet getting more access to MEX.