FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Welcomes Agreement to Expand Air Services between Canada and Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1553196-air-canada-welcomes-agreement-expand-air-services-between-canada-mexico.html)

Spounce Feb 19, 2014 3:36 pm

It might be that the announcement about welcoming opening skies was made so that AC add its request of the Canadian government to drop the visa requirement on Mexicans.

Altaflyer Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by maradori (Post 22378407)
Hope this means we can :-: Mexican hat trick :-: again :D :D :D :D

"Mexican Hat Dance" :)

HangTen Feb 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 22379600)
As someone who lives in YEG, but whose work in the oil business takes him down to MEX regularly (and hopefully, even more regularly soon...) the great hope is a much needed YYC-MEX. Already me and many of my colleagues are happy about the YEG-DFW on AA, but all os us would love to see a non-stop from Alberta to MEX. As Mexico opens up its energy sector, there is *HUGE* business demand for us to get down there.

However, the reality is that this is probably more about Aeromexico (and Interjet and Volaris) getting more access to Canada than anything to do with AC or Westjet getting more access to MEX.

Without feed from Canadian markets, I doubt we'll see Volaris or Interjet launching service to Canada.

Many Canadian airlines fly to all kinds of places in Mexico but it seems like under the rules today, there were all kinds of holes in the market due to gov't imposed restrictions.

For example, WJ operates to Puerto Vallarta non stop from a number of markets, but not from Toronto. Same with Toronto to Cabo, Toronto to Ixtapa and any where in Canada to Huatulco.

This may allow access to these markets from the largest market in Canada and other new city pairs for Westjet and other Canadian airlines.

CloudsBelow Feb 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 22378513)
Where would the demand come from to even come close to filling a 787 on this route?
Likely at the extreme end of a 319's capabilities but the 737MAX could handle it once they begin to arrive if there were enough profitable volume.

At 2000nm, YYCMEX is no real problem for an A319 (nor current 73G). In fact, AC sends an A319 on MEXYVR which is 5% further.
It's not an aircraft thing, it's a demand thing as you point out - YYC would cannibalize YVR as well.

Spot planes Feb 20, 2014 2:48 am

Not happy with AC MEX-YVR departing MEX at 6am. Means getting up at 2am or just don't go to bed.

Argonaut1000 Feb 20, 2014 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Spot planes (Post 22382547)
Not happy with AC MEX-YVR departing MEX at 6am. Means getting up at 2am or just don't go to bed.

Return through YYZ - same price and more miles. Choice of two flights per day

Vasco Feb 20, 2014 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 (Post 22383799)
Return through YYZ - same price and more miles. Choice of two flights per day

One of those two flights (AC990) is a red-eye on a 319 that leaves MEX at midnight, arrives at YYZ around 5:30am. I've grown to despise that flight over the last 6 months. AC992 (leaves MEX earlyish afternoon) is very rarely an option for me.

So, for me it's either AC990 (leaves midnight for YYZ) or AC997 (leaves 6am for YVR.) Either way, I'm not getting any sleep. Plus, there are no lounges open for either flight at MEX during those times. The best that can be hoped for is the Amex lounge that sometimes opens at 5am.

The loss of productivity that I feel is rarely worth any extra miles gained by flying via YYZ.

My problem, I guess, is that I actually like flying on Air Canada. So I'm hopeful of an option to YYC. I don't particularly like flying on UA or AA, or transiting through the US (Nexus or no) but I also don't like AC's schedule out of MEX.

CloudsBelow Feb 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 22384506)
One of those two flights (AC990) is a red-eye on a 319 that leaves MEX at midnight, arrives at YYZ around 5:30am. I've grown to despise that flight over the last 6 months. AC992 (leaves MEX earlyish afternoon) is very rarely an option for me.

So, for me it's either AC990 (leaves midnight for YYZ) or AC997 (leaves 6am for YVR.) Either way, I'm not getting any sleep. Plus, there are no lounges open for either flight at MEX during those times. The best that can be hoped for is the Amex lounge that sometimes opens at 5am.

The loss of productivity that I feel is rarely worth any extra miles gained by flying via YYZ.

My problem, I guess, is that I actually like flying on Air Canada. So I'm hopeful of an option to YYC. I don't particularly like flying on UA or AA, or transiting through the US (Nexus or no) but I also don't like AC's schedule out of MEX.

I'd suggest AC's very early departure out of MEX is not to deprive you of sleep and productivity.
It's there to mitigate the payload restrictions the A319 would face ex MEX as the temp rises during the day.
MEX is hot and 7300 ft ASL - the A319 would be severely crippled with a midday departure all the way to YVR.

yyccdg Feb 20, 2014 3:34 pm

If I remember correctly, Aeromexico did have flights from YYC-MEX a few years ago but they were discontinued fairly quickly due to lack of volume. Sorry, I don't remember the plane size.

winnipegrev Feb 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by yyccdg (Post 22386626)
If I remember correctly, Aeromexico did have flights from YYC-MEX a few years ago but they were discontinued fairly quickly due to lack of volume. Sorry, I don't remember the plane size.

I remember seeing a Mexicana 319 at a gate in YYC before they went bankrupt.

ACYYZ/SD Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev (Post 22379309)
Sounds like a route which could work with Rouge's costs.

I too share others' confusion about this announcement... Never heard of any airline not being able to operate Canada-Mexico due to being denied rights. Open skies must just be a formality.

Aeromexico has operated farmworker flights between Mexico City and Hamilton, Ontario. That's pretty open skies.

TheGreatestX Feb 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev (Post 22386879)
I remember seeing a Mexicana 319 at a gate in YYC before they went bankrupt.

Mexicana operated 4x/week to YYC and 3x/week to YEG before they went bankrupt.

Spot planes Feb 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX (Post 22387809)
Mexicana operated 4x/week to YYC and 3x/week to YEG before they went bankrupt.

Mexicana also few red eye YVR-MEX.

ACYYZ/SD Feb 21, 2014 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 22379600)
As someone who lives in YEG, but whose work in the oil business takes him down to MEX regularly (and hopefully, even more regularly soon...) the great hope is a much needed YYC-MEX. Already me and many of my colleagues are happy about the YEG-DFW on AA, but all os us would love to see a non-stop from Alberta to MEX. As Mexico opens up its energy sector, there is *HUGE* business demand for us to get down there.

However, the reality is that this is probably more about Aeromexico (and Interjet and Volaris) getting more access to Canada than anything to do with AC or Westjet getting more access to MEX.

AM has dabbled with YYZ and currently only serves YUL. For the same reasons that you don't see Southwest, Frontier or JetBlue serving Canada - unlikely that Interjet and Volaris will be heading North anytime soon.

Swarez Feb 21, 2014 8:58 am

Isn't MEX slot controlled? That pretty much guarantees if there is a direct flight it will be AM and not AC who only has few dailies.