FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YYZ-FRA J award availability (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1528721-yyz-fra-j-award-availability.html)

Crampedin13A Dec 7, 2013 8:27 pm

YYZ-FRA J award availability

For 13 years as an E this was always one of the toughest awards to get. I've had no status with AC for 8 years now and rarely even collect AE points from Esso purchases. But in the last year I have redeemed for 3 J awards on this route from Aeroplan as a nobody. What changed?:confused:

I've only got enough AE miles(or whatever they are called)now for one more TATL J redemption and then I've finally burned through my AE miles stash.:)

rankourabu Dec 7, 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 21923833)
For 13 years as an E this was always one of the toughest awards to get. I've had no status with AC for 8 years now and rarely even collect AE points from Esso purchases. But in the last year I have redeemed for 3 J awards on this route from Aeroplan as a nobody. What changed?:confused:

I've only got enough AE miles(or whatever they are called)now for one more TATL J redemption and then I've finally burned through my AE miles stash.:)

I dont see what being E has to do with award availability?

Reason? Maybe YYZ-FRA has probably become prohibitive in terms of awards, many people are put off by the $1000+ co-pay that AC collects on this route.

Crampedin13A Dec 7, 2013 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 21923860)
I dont see what being E has to do with award availability?

Reason? Maybe YYZ-FRA has probably become prohibitive in terms of awards, many people are put off by the $1000+ co-pay that AC collects on this route.

Well it did used to matter 10+ years ago for using upgrade certs but $1000+ is on all the TATL routes not just FRA. As I've said before I am not going through the U.S. to save a few hundred dollars when I can get a direct flight.

rankourabu Dec 7, 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 21923910)
As I've said before I am not going through the U.S. to save a few hundred dollars when I can get a direct flight.

I am not saying that one has to go thru the states, but most reasonable/logical people, who pay out of pocket, would not be overjoyed at the prospect of $1000 copay on an award ticket that they may have been saving up miles for for years. They may just say, the hell with it, and buy a revenue ticket in Y for less than the J copay alone.

I am glad you are happy to pay $1000 to use your miles - for most people in the world - that is a sizeable chunk of change.

mapleg Dec 7, 2013 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 21923910)
Well it did used to matter 10+ years ago for using upgrade certs but $1000+ is on all the TATL routes not just FRA. As I've said before I am not going through the U.S. to save a few hundred dollars when I can get a direct flight.

You could fly LOT to WAW--that certainly is not $1000. Or YUL-ZRH on LX with no scamcharges

Crampedin13A Dec 7, 2013 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 21923950)
You could fly LOT to WAW--that certainly is not $1000. Or YUL-ZRH on LX with no scamcharges

I always hear that LX has no scamcharges yet as an M+M SEN I get the following scamcharges on that route for LX awards on LX M+M plus higher mileage requirements:confused:

Y $580.45

J $980.45

F $980.45

Have looked at the LOT option even as a revenue ticket but since I'm then going to be backtracking west from WAW the connections are not good as far as timing is involved. Shame because I really would like to try LOT's 787. I really enjoyed the BA 787

Crampedin13A Dec 7, 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 21923942)
I am glad you are happy to pay $1000 to use your miles - for most people in the world - that is a sizeable chunk of change.

Being Canadian means being bent over for everything is the price to pay unfortunately

tng11 Dec 7, 2013 9:38 pm

There are no scamcharges for LX on AP redemptions. Only thing is AP can't book LX F anymore.

For some - I guess those extra hours, or a forced overnight might not be worth it, especially if your time is worth more than that. Let's just hope the non-YQ J options stick around for a little while longer (LO, LX, TK, SN)

Crampedin13A Dec 7, 2013 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by tng11 (Post 21924069)
There are no scamcharges for LX on AP redemptions. Only thing is AP can't book LX F anymore.

For some - I guess those extra hours, or a forced overnight might not be worth it, especially if your time is worth more than that. Let's just hope the non-YQ J options stick around for a little while longer (LO, LX, TK, SN)

Oh I totally understand if you have been saving forever to for a redemption and then find $1000 tacked on. I've paid for all my flights over the last 15 years and to be perfectly honest I was wondering if I could ever get rid of Aeroplan miles on Classic rewards. So while I don't like paying the $1000 scamcharges flights from Canada to Germany run in the $6K range revenue wise in J so it's still a good deal in my circumstance.

tnkngn Dec 8, 2013 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 21924115)
Oh I totally understand if you have been saving forever to for a redemption and then find $1000 tacked on. I've paid for all my flights over the last 15 years and to be perfectly honest I was wondering if I could ever get rid of Aeroplan miles on Classic rewards. So while I don't like paying the $1000 scamcharges flights from Canada to Germany run in the $6K range revenue wise in J so it's still a good deal in my circumstance.

There's usually a ton of award space on LH F from FRA-YYZ and vice versa (searching on UA however, not ap.com)

rankourabu Dec 8, 2013 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 21923996)
I always hear that LX has no scamcharges yet as an M+M SEN I get the following scamcharges on that route for LX awards on LX M+M plus higher mileage requirements:confused:

Air Canada picks carriers at random to which to apply the fuel surcharge.
As long as it stays that way, and they dont apply them to all partners - there is still great value in Aeroplan to be had.

flying YYZ-EWR/PHL-FRA vs YYZ-FRA however, yes I will sacrifice 2 hours connecting to save $1000 and spend it at the destination instead. Not a big deal, GE makes it painless. That $1000 will buy me like an extra week at the destination.

mapleg Dec 8, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 21923996)

Y $580.45

J $980.45

F $980.45

Aeroplan charges no YQ on LX but M+M does. One of the times AE is better for redemption than the competition.