YYZ-FRA J award availability

Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
YYZ-FRA J award availability

For 13 years as an E this was always one of the toughest awards to get. I've had no status with AC for 8 years now and rarely even collect AE points from Esso purchases. But in the last year I have redeemed for 3 J awards on this route from Aeroplan as a nobody. What changed?

I've only got enough AE miles(or whatever they are called)now for one more TATL J redemption and then I've finally burned through my AE miles stash.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
For 13 years as an E this was always one of the toughest awards to get. I've had no status with AC for 8 years now and rarely even collect AE points from Esso purchases. But in the last year I have redeemed for 3 J awards on this route from Aeroplan as a nobody. What changed?

I've only got enough AE miles(or whatever they are called)now for one more TATL J redemption and then I've finally burned through my AE miles stash.
I dont see what being E has to do with award availability?

Reason? Maybe YYZ-FRA has probably become prohibitive in terms of awards, many people are put off by the $1000+ co-pay that AC collects on this route.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont see what being E has to do with award availability?

Reason? Maybe YYZ-FRA has probably become prohibitive in terms of awards, many people are put off by the $1000+ co-pay that AC collects on this route.
Well it did used to matter 10+ years ago for using upgrade certs but $1000+ is on all the TATL routes not just FRA. As I've said before I am not going through the U.S. to save a few hundred dollars when I can get a direct flight.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've said before I am not going through the U.S. to save a few hundred dollars when I can get a direct flight.
I am not saying that one has to go thru the states, but most reasonable/logical people, who pay out of pocket, would not be overjoyed at the prospect of $1000 copay on an award ticket that they may have been saving up miles for for years. They may just say, the hell with it, and buy a revenue ticket in Y for less than the J copay alone.

I am glad you are happy to pay $1000 to use your miles - for most people in the world - that is a sizeable chunk of change.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Well it did used to matter 10+ years ago for using upgrade certs but $1000+ is on all the TATL routes not just FRA. As I've said before I am not going through the U.S. to save a few hundred dollars when I can get a direct flight.
You could fly LOT to WAW--that certainly is not $1000. Or YUL-ZRH on LX with no scamcharges
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
You could fly LOT to WAW--that certainly is not $1000. Or YUL-ZRH on LX with no scamcharges
I always hear that LX has no scamcharges yet as an M+M SEN I get the following scamcharges on that route for LX awards on LX M+M plus higher mileage requirements

Y $580.45

J $980.45

F $980.45

Have looked at the LOT option even as a revenue ticket but since I'm then going to be backtracking west from WAW the connections are not good as far as timing is involved. Shame because I really would like to try LOT's 787. I really enjoyed the BA 787

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Dec 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I am glad you are happy to pay $1000 to use your miles - for most people in the world - that is a sizeable chunk of change.
Being Canadian means being bent over for everything is the price to pay unfortunately
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:38 pm

There are no scamcharges for LX on AP redemptions. Only thing is AP can't book LX F anymore.

For some - I guess those extra hours, or a forced overnight might not be worth it, especially if your time is worth more than that. Let's just hope the non-YQ J options stick around for a little while longer (LO, LX, TK, SN)
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
There are no scamcharges for LX on AP redemptions. Only thing is AP can't book LX F anymore.

For some - I guess those extra hours, or a forced overnight might not be worth it, especially if your time is worth more than that. Let's just hope the non-YQ J options stick around for a little while longer (LO, LX, TK, SN)
Oh I totally understand if you have been saving forever to for a redemption and then find $1000 tacked on. I've paid for all my flights over the last 15 years and to be perfectly honest I was wondering if I could ever get rid of Aeroplan miles on Classic rewards. So while I don't like paying the $1000 scamcharges flights from Canada to Germany run in the $6K range revenue wise in J so it's still a good deal in my circumstance.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Oh I totally understand if you have been saving forever to for a redemption and then find $1000 tacked on. I've paid for all my flights over the last 15 years and to be perfectly honest I was wondering if I could ever get rid of Aeroplan miles on Classic rewards. So while I don't like paying the $1000 scamcharges flights from Canada to Germany run in the $6K range revenue wise in J so it's still a good deal in my circumstance.
There's usually a ton of award space on LH F from FRA-YYZ and vice versa (searching on UA however, not ap.com)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always hear that LX has no scamcharges yet as an M+M SEN I get the following scamcharges on that route for LX awards on LX M+M plus higher mileage requirements
Air Canada picks carriers at random to which to apply the fuel surcharge.
As long as it stays that way, and they dont apply them to all partners - there is still great value in Aeroplan to be had.

flying YYZ-EWR/PHL-FRA vs YYZ-FRA however, yes I will sacrifice 2 hours connecting to save $1000 and spend it at the destination instead. Not a big deal, GE makes it painless. That $1000 will buy me like an extra week at the destination.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

Y $580.45

J $980.45

F $980.45
Aeroplan charges no YQ on LX but M+M does. One of the times AE is better for redemption than the competition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.