Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan: 20% conversion bonus (Nov 11-Dec 9)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan: 20% conversion bonus (Nov 11-Dec 9)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I'm sitting on the fence and thinking about jumping into RBC Avios. I don't think that I'll be committed unless I take advantage of the 50% balance transfer Amex MR to Avios. This March will be the telling time whether I'm committing to Avios or not.

I usually don't fly short haul. The last time I did a short haul was when we redeemed two AeroPlat 2 for 1 benefits. My wife had an AeroPlat and I had an AeroPlat and the two cards overlapped a month. I couldn't leave 30k points on the table, so I redeemed for 4 short haul tickets to YVR. I lt was a nice long weekend trip last year over Remembrance Day.

Not too excited for short haul, but the RBC 2 for 1 companion ticket on BA metal is appealing except I don't see too much business availability to LHR. Thus still sitting on the fence.

But 200k Amex MR converted for 100K bonus would do the trick. But that remains to be seen if that bonus will surface to fruition.
Yeah, when 50% transfer bouns promo is on, we cannot resist.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jerryhung
@AM
Keep in mind Avios expires 36 months from last activity (while Aeroplan will NOT expire anymore come 2014)
Aeroplan miles expire 12 months from last activity
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Yeah, when 50% transfer bouns promo is on, we cannot resist.
Another reason I didn't just jump onto the RBC Avios is because the offers don't seem as good. But I'm encouraged that the US Chase Avios came back with a 100K offer, although its dependent on large spend thresholds. I'm a high spender so I don't mind.

Again, remains to be seen whether the 50% transfer bonus will reappear. I sort of wish there was the transfer bonus now, as I'm needing to make plans for next year's travels, and I'm sitting on the fence whether to redeem AE, or Avios for the trip.

I'm gun shy, and actually wish that the Amex MR 20%-25% was still there.. then I would stick with AE.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:45 pm
Original Member

marginally related:

RBC is currently offering a 50% transfer bonus to BA, and a 20% transfer bonus to AA.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
4. ARE ALL MILES ELIGIBLE FOR DISTINCTION STATUS?
Distinction eligible miles are miles earned in the Aeroplan Program directly at participating partners and include base and certain bonus mile offers. Unless otherwise indicated at the time of offer, the following miles are not eligible for Distinction status: Financial Card Welcome Bonus; bonus miles received as a benefit of Air Canada Altitude status or Aeroplan Distinction bonus miles; miles accumulated through conversion from other programs or transfers between member accounts; top‐up miles; contest prizes; and reinstated miles.
Any one else get a different outcome?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
marginally related:

RBC is currently offering a 50% transfer bonus to BA, and a 20% transfer bonus to AA.
Great call on the RBC Avion. Good to know that the 50% transfer bonus is offered out there somewhere. Any threshold requirements?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Any one else get a different outcome?
Certainly did! Noticed that the points I transferred from the BW sign up were credited as Distinction this morning. Same with the 10k that rolled in from the Amex Aerogold sign up. (When I'll receive the remaining 15k remains to be seen, but that's for another topic)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:51 am

What is your opinion: Is it a good deal?

I have option to buy 80,000 SPG points for 1,550 USD.
I can transfer them to Aeroplan and get 20,000 additional Aeroplan miles from the SPG.
And I think this Aeroplan promo will give me another 25,000 Aeroplan miles.

So basically I can buy 125,000 Aeroplan miles for 1,550 USD (~1,700 CAD).

As a caveat I am not going to spend them until 2015 travel.

Would you do that?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

marginally related:

Great call on the RBC Avion. Good to know that the 50% transfer bonus is offered out there somewhere. Any threshold requirements?
5K min to AA, 10K min to BA.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by alexmik

I can transfer them to Aeroplan and get 20,000 additional Aeroplan miles from the SPG.

Would you do that?
$1700 CAD / 125K Aeroplan = 1.36 cents per mile

I suppose it's okay, but I wouldn't do it unless you already find a booking to book RIGHT NOW to use it (in general, any redemption at over 2 CENTS is good), and you still have to pay fees/taxes and possible $$$$ YQ

FYI, starting Jan 2014, it'll be 150K to do a Mini-RTW too

Heck, I can probably sell mine at 1.5 cents and be happy (i.e. book for others) as Aeroplan kept losing its value with all these "enhancements". But based in YYZ, there aren't too many choices
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

5K min to AA, 10K min to BA.
5K and 10K both increments respectively? Any maximum?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by alexmik

Would you do that?
I never buy points because you can get the point in a much lower cost by signing up new credit cards. Only if you are planing to use your miles for business tickets, you probably will not save a lot of money by doing this.

Last edited by Cana2013; Nov 21, 2013 at 10:06 pm
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:35 pm
Suspended

I never buy points because you can get the point in a much lower cost by signing up new credit cards. Only if you are planing to use your miles for business tickets, you probably will not save a lot of money buy doing this.
Buying points is a convenience, just in case the account is just short. I have used it to top up, but a very nominal amount, like $10 or something. But its still a nice convenience to have.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:42 pm

Buying points is a convenience, just in case the account is just short. I have used it to top up, but a very nominal amount, like $10 or something. But its still a nice convenience to have.
Yeah, it makes sense if you top up for a reward, but not for buying a lot without knowing when you and how you are going to use it.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Yeah, it makes sense if you top up for a reward, but not for buying a lot without knowing when you and how you are going to use it.
US Amex cardholders can borrow.. come to think of it, some US products have no forex fee.

I would be upset not able to complete a redemption, being a few hundred or a few thousand points short. Buying points, and the ability to top up, is important to give the loyalty program liquidity and consumer confidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.