Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Close to 50K Elite, what's best way to get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

I am at 47K miles, and I like to get to 50K quickly to get early recognition. Unfortunately, at work we got a travel freeze which prevents me from already scheduled flights... so wondering what's a good way to earn that 3K miles in the meantime?

I don't have any personal trips planned, so that doesn't solve it. Is there a way to get a flight but defer it until I decide to fly?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Other than buying unlimited passes (I suspect not in the cards for you) or most other flight passes (if you selected qualifying miles as your bonus), you actually have to fly to earn miles.

You did not specify where you are from, but if you are close to the US border, you should be able to do a mileage run on US or UA that gets you 3,000 qualifying miles in a day for a few hundred dollars.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
Other than buying unlimited passes (I suspect not in the cards for you) or most other flight passes (if you selected qualifying miles as your bonus), you actually have to fly to earn miles.

You did not specify where you are from, but if you are close to the US border, you should be able to do a mileage run on US or UA that gets you 3,000 qualifying miles in a day for a few hundred dollars.
I am in YVR, Vancouver, Canada.

What do you mean exactly? To do a short US flight to get the 3K?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:29 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Yes (I presume), make your way to Seattle and take a cheap US/UA flight but credit the miles to AE
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SYM
Yes (I presume), make your way to Seattle and take a cheap US/UA flight but credit the miles to AE
Ok, thanks. Would any class of UA count towards full Altitude miles, or is it only Flex equivalent flights? I had 2 tango flights that got me nothing.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Anything UA is good to go.

http://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...Partner=United

Click "Eligible flights" for details. Notice the minimum it earns is 100%.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC*S100K SPG Gold
Smile

I was in NYC last weekend, so the title reminds me of the similar Carnegie Hall joke ... In this case: travel, travel, travel.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Watch the Mileage Run forum on FT.

On UA, it's not hard to find deals at under 4cpm (or in other words, roughly $120 for what you need).
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:44 pm

Spend $30K on an unlimited flight pass (6 months). It may not be the cheapest way, but you'll get instant SE100K recognition (and bonus E50K for a friend).

And you won't have to spend time on a plane if you don't want to.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Spend $30K on an unlimited flight pass (6 months). It may not be the cheapest way, but you'll get instant SE100K recognition (and bonus E50K for a friend).

And you won't have to spend time on a plane if you don't want to.
I'm not sure how you could possibly think that's the best way

If you have enough money to drop $30k on something you won't even use, you might as well just always fly paid J.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by alexbc
To do a short US flight to get the 3K?
If you have the time to drive down, look for flights on US Airways out of SEA.

For example, in late August you can do SEA <--> PHL on US for around $400.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:56 pm

Use the google ita matrix. I was able to find plenty of options to get you your 3k+ miles for <$400 all in. If you can make a weekend out of it, visit a friend, do some shopping then all the better.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by donnyk
Use the google ita matrix. I was able to find plenty of options to get you your 3k+ miles for <$400 all in. If you can make a weekend out of it, visit a friend, do some shopping then all the better.
You should have done the 2X status miles promotion YVR-EWR-YVR. 9K miles for $425. Cool. You can't now. With one day left, it is expensive.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by alexbc
I am at 47K miles, and I like to get to 50K quickly to get early recognition. Unfortunately, at work we got a travel freeze which prevents me from already scheduled flights... so wondering what's a good way to earn that 3K miles in the meantime?

I don't have any personal trips planned, so that doesn't solve it. Is there a way to get a flight but defer it until I decide to fly?

Thanks
Easy! Head down to SEA and fly on US before they no longer credit to *A. You can fly SEA-CLT-BOS-PHL(or IAD)-SEA and credit all those miles to AP, earned at 100 percent, for about $250 return taxes in. I'm thinking of doing a similar mileage run to make E50K. UA likely has similar $250 all in fares out of SEA...$350 max.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Easy! Head down to SEA and fly on US before they no longer credit to *A. You can fly SEA-CLT-BOS-PHL(or IAD)-SEA and credit all those miles to AP, earned at 100 percent, for about $250 return taxes in. I'm thinking of doing a similar mileage run to make E50K. UA likely has similar $250 all in fares out of SEA...$350 max.
I tried to search for that on the ITA Matrix and I see way more than that. Do you have any dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.