FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Below MCT, more than 24 hours. What do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1395045-below-mct-more-than-24-hours-what-do.html)

zoobtoob Oct 7, 2012 9:36 am

Below MCT, more than 24 hours. What do?

I'm planning a route with a loooooooong connection and I was hoping to go ICN-HKG-FRA.

TG629 ICN-HKG arrives @12:55
LH739 HKG-FRA departs @ 13:00

Obviously I can't connect in 5 minutes but I can't treat that as a connection because it exceeds 24 hours; it would count as a stopover.

Is there an obscure rule (such as the one where you are allowed to keep something a connection as long as what you are connecting on to is not a daily service) or do I just need to pick a later flight into HKG?

JY1024 Oct 7, 2012 10:43 am

Stopover/connection/MCT rules vary slightly from airline to airline. Which airline are you actually planning to book the ticket with? Is it an award ticket or paid/revenue ticket?

zoobtoob Oct 7, 2012 10:46 am

Reward ticket on AC

JY1024 Oct 7, 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob (Post 19452623)
Reward ticket on AC

In that case, let's move this over to the Air Canada forum, as the experts there will be the most familiar with the routing/stopover/MCT rules associated with AC and an AC award ticket. Thanks! :) /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Dorian Oct 7, 2012 1:29 pm

I always understood it was next flight out....

Recall a case where NFO was 3 days!

krayZpaving Oct 7, 2012 2:04 pm

Next flight out is normally the rule, but you'll likely need to call and book through an agent, of course. YMMV.

tcook052 Oct 7, 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob (Post 19452299)
Is there an obscure rule (such as the one where you are allowed to keep something a connection as long as what you are connecting on to is not a daily service) or do I just need to pick a later flight into HKG?

You just need to pick a later arrival into HKG as that rule only works when there is infrequent service available at a connection point and I'm quite sure that isn't the case between ICN & HKG.

Also your choice of trhead title isn't exactly correct as you aren't under MCT you are over your max. connect time.

hearna Oct 8, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 19454827)
You just need to pick a later arrival into HKG as that rule only works when there is infrequent service available at a connection point and I'm quite sure that isn't the case between ICN & HKG.

Also your choice of trhead title isn't exactly correct as you aren't under MCT you are over your max. connect time.

MCT=Maximum connection time :P

rankourabu Oct 8, 2012 7:39 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 19454827)

Problem is that ICN-HKG goes out in bands of morning and evening. And on top of that of course are the OZ blackouts.

OP, I hope you realize that a TG+LH combination on this route will set you back about $450-$500 in real money in scamcharges on this route.

zoobtoob Oct 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 19456810)
OP, I hope you realize that a TG+LH combination on this route will set you back about $450-$500 in real money in scamcharges on this route.

Didn't work in the end.

Full story:
Changing a MiniRTW and was ditching Korea entirely because of a requirement to be home sooner than I wanted to be. I was hoping to sneak into HK for a night. It never worked out and I ended up going NRT-MUC-FRA-YVR on ANA F and LH F. Now the mystery is how I was only charged an extra $34.10 (and $90) for that.