Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Below MCT, more than 24 hours. What do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder

I'm planning a route with a loooooooong connection and I was hoping to go ICN-HKG-FRA.

TG629 ICN-HKG arrives @12:55
LH739 HKG-FRA departs @ 13:00

Obviously I can't connect in 5 minutes but I can't treat that as a connection because it exceeds 24 hours; it would count as a stopover.

Is there an obscure rule (such as the one where you are allowed to keep something a connection as long as what you are connecting on to is not a daily service) or do I just need to pick a later flight into HKG?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:43 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Stopover/connection/MCT rules vary slightly from airline to airline. Which airline are you actually planning to book the ticket with? Is it an award ticket or paid/revenue ticket?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Reward ticket on AC
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:50 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Reward ticket on AC
In that case, let's move this over to the Air Canada forum, as the experts there will be the most familiar with the routing/stopover/MCT rules associated with AC and an AC award ticket. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 7, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I always understood it was next flight out....

Recall a case where NFO was 3 days!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Next flight out is normally the rule, but you'll likely need to call and book through an agent, of course. YMMV.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Is there an obscure rule (such as the one where you are allowed to keep something a connection as long as what you are connecting on to is not a daily service) or do I just need to pick a later flight into HKG?
You just need to pick a later arrival into HKG as that rule only works when there is infrequent service available at a connection point and I'm quite sure that isn't the case between ICN & HKG.

Also your choice of trhead title isn't exactly correct as you aren't under MCT you are over your max. connect time.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
You just need to pick a later arrival into HKG as that rule only works when there is infrequent service available at a connection point and I'm quite sure that isn't the case between ICN & HKG.

Also your choice of trhead title isn't exactly correct as you aren't under MCT you are over your max. connect time.
MCT=Maximum connection time :P
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by tcook052

Problem is that ICN-HKG goes out in bands of morning and evening. And on top of that of course are the OZ blackouts.

OP, I hope you realize that a TG+LH combination on this route will set you back about $450-$500 in real money in scamcharges on this route.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
OP, I hope you realize that a TG+LH combination on this route will set you back about $450-$500 in real money in scamcharges on this route.
Didn't work in the end.

Full story:
Changing a MiniRTW and was ditching Korea entirely because of a requirement to be home sooner than I wanted to be. I was hoping to sneak into HK for a night. It never worked out and I ended up going NRT-MUC-FRA-YVR on ANA F and LH F. Now the mystery is how I was only charged an extra $34.10 (and $90) for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.