Wiki Posts
Search

Clever routings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC QR WS*P
Clever routings

I am going to resume travel (4-6 times per year) between YHZ and ULN, and over the last few weeks I have been trying to come up with some clever routings to:
  1. Minimize cost (<$4,500 RT)
  2. Maximize time in J
  3. Maximize points (if possible, but not required)

My typical routings for two years were via either PEK or ICN on Latitude tickets, which were upgradeable most of the time (I think I was 7/9 last year, with one within the 4 day window required for a T+), however with the price of Latitude tickets being more than Z fares, this isn't possible for me any more as I need to stay within $4,500.
The three most promising are:
  1. YHZ-LHR-IST-FRU-ULN
  2. YHZ-YYZ-LHR-ZRH-PEK-ULN
  3. YHZ-LHR-SVO-ULN
Breakdown:
  1. Y to LHR J between LHR-ULN (currently the top option, but never flown TK before, best price thus far). The IST-ULN route is new however and I don't know if it (or the prices) will stick.
  2. Y to YYZ and LHR J to PEK Y to ULN (most points, just meets cost criteria, flying LX between LHR and PEK)
  3. Y to LHR J between LHR and ULN (I have no idea what I would do with Aeroflot points...)

Does anyone have any other suggested routings I may have missed? Ideally I would just move closer to a better serviced airport I suppose
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
GMP

Suggest YVR-GMP-ULN on Korean Airlines. $5 K CAD. Then buy separate AC flight YVHZ-YOW.

(Your challenge is finding flights originating in YHZ, a bit of a backwater it seems!)
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Suggest YVR-GMP-ULN on Korean Airlines. $5 K CAD. Then buy separate AC flight YVHZ-YOW.

(Your challenge is finding flights originating in YHZ, a bit of a backwater it seems!)
Either I am misreading OP's post, but isn't he explicitly asking for a fare below CAD 4500 from YHZ?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Interesting challenge. I like! ^^

OK, LHR-ULN is like you post around 2500 CAD in J. Depending on which day and which flight you take (TK), you could get the 330 with slanted beds in J.

Now, I searched every AC city in Europe.

ZRH: Higher prices than LHR
CPH: Prices at 2140 CAD (TK & SU), great city to overnight in (better hotel costs), really easy upgrade route from YYZ, you could get 767 SVO-ULN with beds cons: TK doesn't run daily, SU doesn't get Aeroplan
CDG: Like LHR
GVA: Like LHR
MAD: Higher
MUC: Higher
FRA: SU prices out lower (1964 CAD), plus you may not need to overnight as it departs from FRA around 2:00 pm, and then it connects to the 767 to ULN (beds) - pros: nice 6 hour final stint lie-flat cons: SkyTeam points
BRU: Very easy upgrade route, 2220 CAD on TK - 330 with beds to IST, 320 from there

note also TK doesn't always have proper J in its' 320s - often it's the Euro-trash J with an empty Y seat in the middle... SU always has proper J, plus slanted lie-flat on the 767 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelingotter/2591848296/)

Have fun!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:06 pm

One final thing you may like to consider:

I found YYZ-PEK on Hainan (5-star airline, apparently) in C for 3200 CAD. Lie-flat seats. Then you would have the possibility to stay as long as you like in PEK, book the Air China 600 CAD round-trip to ULN, and book a separate YHZ-YYZ as you like.

Problem here is no points. But perhaps this will come in handy some day.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:12 pm

Seems I can't get off of this thing. Thought of a final option!

YHZ-IST costs 3500 CAD in Business (lots of routings *A), then IST-ULN costs 800-1000 CAD round-trip in Y. Another thing for thought.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:59 pm

Caught the bug indeed... Ahem.

Final (??) thoughts - TXL-ULN on MIAT. Their 767 seems to have J in a 2-2-2 config (what exactly I cannot tell) and the price is 1700 EUR. Not sure what the schedule is either. But I'm sure it would allow access to the lounge in ULN.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Much thanks

Thanks for all the research jlisi984!

Yes the TK flights fluctuate by a few hundred pounds (I haven't looked at why, but it might be the A330 vs. A320), and they fly a few days a week from IST-ULN (maybe three) but I can tweak my schedule as required so exact days, so that doesn't worry me that much. Getting a 320 without decent J would, but I think I will give it a try and see what I get (and of course will report back). Aparently there are a few people I work with that are trying the IST route, so I will check with them what they got when I see them as well. I see the TK forum has just started to get questions about the route, but since it is 10 days old, not much information yet. I will be watching to see if there is any feedback on it, and pose my own query as well. The IST-ULN leg is almost 4,000 miles (with the connection), so doing that in a removed-middle-seat situation would be less than ideal.

My thinking of going direct to London from Halifax was based on the shorter flight in Y, but if there is an easier upgrade route (such as you suggested to BRU) that might be an option, although if I don't keep down-leg flights *A I might not have the status to upgrade anyway (although that wouldn't be a problem with TK). It certainly puts more ideas into my head though. I know a few people who have to connect through YYZ and that might be an opportunity for them to bypass London with a better upgrade option.

The Hainan trip sounds interesting, and is certainly an option for the new year and depending on the status I plan on making I might give it a try just for kicks. I am quite familiar with the CA901/902 PEK-ULN flight, you are correct, it is usually about $600 in Q (50% miles). The only (non-miles) issue I see with Hainan is a terminal change in PEK (if there were no overnight), they fly out of 2 and all flights to ULN fly out of 3. As for SU, There is the option from LHR as well, just I have no idea what I would do with the points. I tapped out all my regular miles this year so I have the option to completely switch to a new carrier with not that much loss, but I don't think Aeroflot will be the one, collect them for another SkyTeam carrier I suppose.

The TXL I had considered, I know a few people who have flown J on Miat on the 767 and from what I heard it's alright. As for the ULN lounge, I have never been but it is nothing special, I would almost prefer to sit at the bar just outside it, while the drinks aren't free, they are pretty cheap, and the chairs are probably as comfortable. Also it would be a shame to rack up FF points on an airline that doesn't fly anywhere I want to go of my own free will.

That does show me there are a few options I hadn't thought of. I could switch completely to Hainan, could make for some interesting mile redemptions. Since they aren't part of any alliance, anyone know what lounge you could access at YYZ international?

Thanks again for all the effort!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Seat arrangements

Just checked on Seat Guru for TK342, their two planes are
  • A320 - J configuration is 2-3
  • 737-800 - J configuration is 2-2

Doesn't look like the "Eurotrash" planes as described, Just bigger seats, that should suit me. While they are not layflat beds I would rather a nice big seat than risking an upgrade from YYZ-PEK at T-4 days. I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Last edited by kelapstick; Jul 11, 2012 at 2:10 am Reason: fix 737
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by kelapstick
Just checked on Seat Guru for TK342, their two planes are
  • A320 - J configuration is 2-3
  • 737-800 - J configuration is 2-2

Doesn't look like the "Eurotrash" planes as described, Just bigger seats, that should suit me. While they are not layflat beds I would rather a nice big seat than risking an upgrade from YYZ-PEK at T-4 days. I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
320 = middle seat blocked out (read description above the map on SeatGuru)
738 = some have proper J (better post on TK forums about this)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, indeed, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.