FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Codeshare mileage accumulation update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1324985-codeshare-mileage-accumulation-update.html)

TemboOne Nov 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Question from a newbie accumulator

I've gone through this thread and can't seem to narrow down some answers.

We have a long trip scheduled next year and are trying to figure options as far as mileage accumulation is concerned. (Our previous trips were all easy PTP returns on AC only with no interlining).

The entire 26,152 mile trip except SIN-AKL is classified as Tango booking class on aircanada.com but there are some non-AC segments that we are unsure of.

YYZ-NRT AC001 Tango L
HND-SIN SG635 Tango L
SIN-AKL to book separately on either JQ or SG
AKL-SYD QF140 Tango Q
SYD-YYZ AC034 Tango A

At first glance it looks like 50% status miles on AC001 and AC034 but even here I'm not sure.

Seems that SQ will (maybe) give 70% for HND-SIN

QF is a question mark; probably zero.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction; thank you!

GJS - yow Nov 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE (Post 21818810)
As always, "it depends". While United Express counts the same as mainline United, Silk Air does not count the same as Singapore Airlines.

Regarding Swiss, Swiss European definitely counts the same as mainline Swiss International flights. Edelweiss flights however per se do not count, unless Swiss has a specific agreement with them on certain flights like LH did with Privateair. For MR purposes I would avoid Edelweiss to be on the safe side.

On the minimum miles issue I would bet that the table (250 miles) is correct and the text beneath it has not been updated yet.

Thanks for the insight. I'll take Lufthansa and earn 50% on the intra-European flights rather than risking earning nothing on Edelweiss.

ACflyerDE Nov 21, 2013 3:55 am

Originally Posted by TemboOne (Post 21822237)
YYZ-NRT AC001 Tango L
HND-SIN SG635 Tango L
AKL-SYD QF140 Tango Q
SYD-YYZ AC034 Tango A

The AC flights in L resp. A class earn 50% status miles.

The SQ (not SG) flight in L class earns 100% status miles.

QF is a member of the Oneworld alliance and you can't earn any Aeroplan miles for this flight. JQ is a subsidiary of QF and also not a partner airline of Aeroplan.

AA_EXP09 Nov 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TemboOne (Post 21822237)
I've gone through this thread and can't seem to narrow down some answers.

We have a long trip scheduled next year and are trying to figure options as far as mileage accumulation is concerned. (Our previous trips were all easy PTP returns on AC only with no interlining).

The entire 26,152 mile trip except SIN-AKL is classified as Tango booking class on aircanada.com but there are some non-AC segments that we are unsure of.

YYZ-NRT AC001 Tango L
HND-SIN SG635 Tango L
AKL-SYD QF140 Tango Q
SYD-YYZ AC034 Tango A

At first glance it looks like 50% status miles on AC001 and AC034 but even here I'm not sure.

Seems that SQ will (maybe) give 70% for HND-SIN

QF is a question mark; probably zero.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction; thank you!

I assume you mean SQ.
You could also take QF/TZ to Oz.

AA_EXP09 Nov 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE (Post 21825127)
The AC flights in L resp. A class earn 50% status miles.

The SQ (not SG) flight in L class earns 100% status miles.

QF is a member of the Oneworld alliance and you can't earn any Aeroplan miles for this flight. JQ is a subsidiary of QF and also not a partner airline of Aeroplan.

And you get 25/0% on the cheap QF fares, and a goose egg for JQ (crediting to AA/CX.)

bimmerdriver Nov 23, 2013 7:29 am

This is a old thread, but it's interesting that it was started by AC almost 2 years ago and the obfuscation of AQM accumulation for codeshares still hasn't been eliminated. If you call AC to ask about the AQMs for a code share flight, they will tell you to call AP. Of course, if you call AP, they will tell you they can't provide any info on the AQMs without knowing the booking class of the operating carrier, which AC apparently does not provide to AP. They certainly don't provide it on their website. I recently had to play this ridiculous game and it's tedious the way AC and AP point fingers at each other.

The reality is that the info provided by AC is like building only part of a bridge. Even if only 10 feet is missing, the bridge is incomplete. Since the standard procedure in *A is for the operating carrier to provide the points, AC needs to be transparent about the class of ticket they book the operating carrier so AP or consumers can look it up themselves. In my opinion, it would be better for consumers if airlines would simply treat codeshare flights as their own product and state the AQMs up-front. It's frankly not useful that AC provides the table stating the percentage of miles, because without the booking class, there is no way to know what percentage applies to. Many flights, particularly short flights, do not award points based on the actual number of miles flown.

claurianta2 Nov 23, 2013 12:51 pm

The fact that Aeroplan is a separate corporate entity from Air Canada is a source of problems since they lack proper communication. If Aeroplan were part of Air Canada, it would be much easier to say "aircanada.com said it's booking class XYZ, so it should earn as XYZ". Now Air Canada and Aeroplan can just blame each other. Very convenient.

bimmerdriver Nov 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2 (Post 21839625)
The fact that Aeroplan is a separate corporate entity from Air Canada is a source of problems since they lack proper communication. If Aeroplan were part of Air Canada, it would be much easier to say "aircanada.com said it's booking class XYZ, so it should earn as XYZ". Now Air Canada and Aeroplan can just blame each other. Very convenient.

Exactly, how convenient.

ACflyerDE Nov 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Codeshare mileage accumulation update

This is actually not limited to AC and AP but a *A-wide issue where the *A HQ in Frankfurt has to get involved and start a transparency initiative. Why is it so difficult for all *A members to agree to a booking class alignment? They are all using the same letters a-z so why does every airline today has to invent their own alphabet?

Fine if the operating carrier determines the booking class that counts for mileage credit but pleeeeeease make that AC H = LH H = LX H = SQ H = TG H so everybody knows what to expect when booking a codeshare flight.

airbornesapper Nov 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by hjohnson (Post 18225514)
How about ditching the whole codeshare tomfoolery, and just putting the operating carrier's native flight number and fare class?

I've never understood the stupidity of codeshares. Why not just do away with this idiocy completely and show us the native flight numbers and fare classes?

You and me both....

Still waiting to hear from AC/Aeroplan on how an AC/TP "Q" on the ticket can become a TP "W" when posted to the Aeroplan account......dropping the points to 50%

Sick of this crap....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...is-nov-13.html

AC SE again for 2014...but sick to death of Star Alliance and all this horse_hit.

AA_EXP09 Nov 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by airbornesapper (Post 21840475)
You and me both....

Still waiting to hear from AC/Aeroplan on how an AC/TP "Q" on the ticket can become a TP "W" when posted to the Aeroplan account......dropping the points to 50%

Sick of this crap....

AC SE again for 2014...but sick to death of Star Alliance and all this horse_hit.

You could have interlined with BA/LH/TP if you wanted more transparency.

GJS - yow Nov 24, 2013 8:13 am

You and me both....

Sick of this crap....

I am trying to unravel all this confusion. I am planning not to use AC codeshares, but connect from AC to the *A partner flight number.

If I book a ticket on AC stock (014) that includes *A partner flights that are not identified as codeshare but as the originating partner (i.e. LH 2475), does the fare code identified on the ticket apply as the fare code used to determine Altitude Qualifying Miles and Aeroplan Miles?

HerpaYvr Nov 24, 2013 8:33 am

You and me both....

Sick of this crap....

Good luck with TP, like LH they have their own class and they do not like to give out points on AC codeshare. Flown TP a lot, I stoped through AC as you always loose out. I fly LX to LIS for 100% credit, TP is tough to get full paoints.

Stranger Nov 24, 2013 8:58 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr (Post 21844294)
I fly LX to LIS for 100% credit, TP is tough to get full paoints.

OTOH they give you 200% even on Z fares apparently.

ACflyerDE Nov 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by GJS - yow (Post 21844188)
I am trying to unravel all this confusion. I am planning not to use AC codeshares, but connect from AC to the *A partner flight number.

If I book a ticket on AC stock (014) that includes *A partner flights that are not identified as codeshare but as the originating partner (i.e. LH 2475), does the fare code identified on the ticket apply as the fare code used to determine Altitude Qualifying Miles and Aeroplan Miles?

If you mean by fare code the booking class for each flight segment then yes.

If you mean by booking an AC VHKXWDE (or whatever) fare all flight segments on AC and the other *A airlines book into V class then no.

If you book each flight under the operating carrier's flight no. through AC you can look up the reservation on AC's website and see the booking class for each flight.

Just ignore the fare description, AC's website applies their name to each booking class ignoring the fact that other airlines use the same letters for different purposes. For example you might see UA 941 FRA-ORD - A, Tango. Obviously UA does not even have Tango fares and A is one if UA's highest booking classes, it should say UA 941 FRA-ORD - A, First. Just another fine example of AC's IT-incompetence that causes only confusion.