Wiki Posts
Search

First Timer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/Global Services, VS Silver, HH Gold
First Timer

First timer on Air Canada coming up, couple of questions. 1). Headed up to YYZ from IAD. I have a 7 hour layover on a Saturday, any chance it is enough time to get out of the airport (huge hockey fan, would love to hit the HOF if possible)? 2) Heading to ZHR in business, basically looks like Virgin's UC offering, is this about what I can expect? 3). If stuck at airport, which lounge would you hit, or how would you kill 6/7 hours.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Caphck
First timer on Air Canada coming up, couple of questions. 1). Headed up to YYZ from IAD. I have a 7 hour layover on a Saturday, any chance it is enough time to get out of the airport (huge hockey fan, would love to hit the HOF if possible)? 2) Heading to ZHR in business, basically looks like Virgin's UC offering, is this about what I can expect? 3). If stuck at airport, which lounge would you hit, or how would you kill 6/7 hours.

Thanks!
You can make the Hockey Hall of Fame depending what time you get in and when you depart. It's traffic that can hinder you. Although Saturday is a good day to make it. The HHF is right downtown and thats about 25-35min from the airport (good traffic). The lounge in the airport is Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge. As a UA1K member entry is no issue.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:53 pm

The Hockey Hall of Fame is located at the corner of Front and Yonge. Take the Airport Express and get off at the at the Royal York/Union Station. From there it's maybe a 5-10 minute walk east.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The issue you're going to face is distance. Toronto's airport is actually not even remotely close to the downtown core, and the 30-45 minute estimates are sadly accurate. It's about a $40 cab fare one way, by the way.

The Airport Express, as mentioned above, will still be costly - around $40 roundtrip. Your better option may be to get to Yorkdale Mall and hop on the subway. That line will take you almost to the front door of the HHOF and it's going to cost you about $6 roundtrip... plus transport to Yorkdale mall, of course. Total transit time is the same - about a half hour.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
From the airport you can take the 192 bus to Kipling Station then take the subway to St. George, switch to the University line, go south to Union station and it is about a 3 minute walk to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Will take you about an hour each way and cash fare is $3.00 each way.

If you run short on time, take a taxi back to the airport.

The AC international lounge is pretty decent.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
As far as YYZ is from downtown Toronto, with 6 to 7 hours to kill, I would definately head downtown. That's far too long to just hang around the airport, and there's really nothing around the airport worth visiting, so a few hours downtown is a great choice. If you still have a little time after the HHOF, there's lots to see just wandering around in the immediate area.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great input, think I will give it a shot
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
First Timer

Regarding your question on the seat it is very similar to Virgin's seat for config and privacy. I believe the main difference is that you can move from seat to bed through recline without getting up.

Regarding the city. The bus and subway option although the cheapest is a little time consuming for your short time; it would take over an hour plus wait time for buses and trains. The most straightforward transit option is the Airport express bus that can be bought roundtrip for $38 in advance from the web (www.torontoairportexpress.com) to the Fairmont Royal York. Or take a taxi.

You want to leave downtown no later than two hours before flight or 2.5 to be sure. You just need to clear security and head to the International MLL which will have lots of food and drink options to get warmed up for the flight.

If you want more time to explore you could always take the morning flight out of IAD and make a day of it with no pressure.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Caphck
3). If stuck at airport, which lounge would you hit, or how would you kill 6/7 hours.

Thanks!
If you're at all sporty, then cycling or jogging at Zurich airport might be fun:
http://www.trurodaily.com/Canada---W...-pedal-power/1

Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RocketmanBRU
If you're at all sporty, then cycling or jogging at Zurich airport might be fun:

Little too ambitious for me, plus my layover is in Toronto, but thanks for the idea.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
As far as YYZ is from downtown Toronto, with 6 to 7 hours to kill, I would definately head downtown. That's far too long to just hang around the airport, and there's really nothing around the airport worth visiting, so a few hours downtown is a great choice. If you still have a little time after the HHOF, there's lots to see just wandering around in the immediate area.
+1

I often fly to YYZ for meetings for a single day and can usually accomplish 6-7 hrs work downtown with an 8-9 hr `layover` in the city which includes commute time to and from YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.