FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AIR CANADA'S Fall Promotion - 105,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1270933-air-canadas-fall-promotion-105-000-bonus-aeroplan-miles.html)

getaround Oct 19, 2011 4:23 pm

AIR CANADA'S Fall Promotion - 105,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles

https://www1.aeroplan.com/promotions...ortCookie=true

Time to buy a London pass :)

Clipper801 Oct 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I have made a comment regarding the current Canada-China/Hong Kong promotion in post #152 at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post17302741

It is interesting to note that AC has deliberately excluded Latitude and Executive Fares from this promotion.

In order to get the bonus with Latitude fare, one must be able to upgrade into R as R is a qualifying class for the bonus.

Railroad flyer Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Well the offer is in response to this from BA

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...penxtype=click

However BA offer is on any TATL with BA / AA or IB where as the AC offer is only to London.

If there was a direct *A flight to MAD or BCN I would be jumping on this.....

jerryhung Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

To get 105,000 Aeroplan miles, 3 round-trips needed to London

Offer is valid with the following fare options (booking classes) only:

Latitude (Y, B)
Executive First Lowest (C, D, Z)
Executive First Flexible (J)

PreferBulkhead Oct 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Why worry about facts and details - this is FT afterall :p

getaround Oct 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 17303143)
To get 105,000 Aeroplan miles, 3 round-trips needed to London

Hence why a Europe Lat pass could be a good option especially if you have the credits to burn - $7,620 3 returns in J if you have the credits and a bucket load of miles - base miles / E&SE bonus miles and the up to 105K bonus wouldn't be too bad.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by getaround (Post 17302613)

Well...

You get 105,000 bonus for 3 round-trips in Y/B, but if you upgrade a latitude pass booking (which maps to Y) on those legs you get kicked into R class, which means only 5,000 bonus miles per RT.

So, in a sense, upgrades on a Y flight pass booking during the promotion now cost 6 eUps plus foregoing a whack of bonus AE miles.

On the one hand that seems kinda crappy. On the other, it's a promo... 5,000 bonus miles is still a bonus, and I'm sitting up front. Suppose I can sit in the back if I want the extra miles, which I might do if AE miles were still worth anything...

payam81 Oct 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by getaround (Post 17303206)
Hence why a Europe Lat pass could be a good option especially if you have the credits to burn - $7,620 3 returns in J if you have the credits and a bucket load of miles - base miles / E&SE bonus miles and the up to 105K bonus wouldn't be too bad.

Actually it's more like $8610 after HST.

Even with the SE 100% bonus and 1 mile/$ CC earning you'd still be closer to 0.06 CPM. Hardly close to MR territory but I guess if you just have to be in LHR, then it's not a bad bonus. Definitely not worth entertaining MR ideas though.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by getaround (Post 17303206)

As I read it, upgrading to R class means just 15,000 bonus miles for the 3 RT's.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 17303250)
Actually it's more like $8610 after HST.

I don;t think there is HST on international flights. I do my own books and I've never seen HST on any London or Europe FP I've bought.

payam81 Oct 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Souvlaki (Post 17303262)
I don;t think there is HST on international flights. I do my own books and I've never seen HST on any London or Europe FP I've bought.

Ahhh I stand corrected. You're right!

This brings down the CPM to $0.05.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 17303276)
This brings down the CPM to $0.05.

For non-status miles. Why on earth would one want to do that? Is it even called a MR when the miles are non-status?

zorn Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Souvlaki (Post 17303239)
Well...

You get 105,000 bonus for 3 round-trips in Y/B, but if you upgrade a latitude pass booking (which maps to Y) on those legs you get kicked into R class, which means only 5,000 bonus miles per RT.

So, in a sense, upgrades on a Y flight pass booking during the promotion now cost 6 eUps plus foregoing a whack of bonus AE miles.

On the one hand that seems kinda crappy. On the other, it's a promo... 5,000 bonus miles is still a bonus, and I'm sitting up front. Suppose I can sit in the back if I want the extra miles, which I might do if AE miles were still worth anything...

They have inelegantly worded the T&C to exclude upgraded Tango+ flights from the 25000 per round trip bonus for being in Executive First.

There is no way you lose the Y/B bonus miles just because you upgrade.

mrpickle Oct 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 17303411)
They have inelegantly worded the T&C to exclude upgraded Tango+ flights from the 25000 per round trip bonus for being in Executive First.

I agree. I thought that the original booking class always determines mileage accrual. That should mean that the bonus applies to an upgraded fare.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickle (Post 17303479)
I agree. I thought that the original booking class always determines mileage accrual. That should mean that the bonus applies to an upgraded fare.

No way you *should* lose the Y/B bonus. And you may both be right. I'm just taking the T&C at face value.

Who wants to bet that AC IT is incapable of treating R-class bookings differently, based on original booking class, for the purposes of this promo?

Argonaut1000 Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

A promotion where you are encouraged to purchase a Tango Plus ticket to Asia instead of purchasing an Executive First ticket. Doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

Santander Oct 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Souvlaki (Post 17303510)
Who wants to bet that AC IT is incapable of treating R-class bookings differently, based on original booking class, for the purposes of this promo?

Request missing mileage to AP for 105000 miles. :D

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 (Post 17303612)
A promotion where you are encouraged to purchase a Tango Plus ticket to Asia instead of purchasing an Executive First ticket. Doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

T+ is no longer bottom-feeder class! But yeah, I would seriously consider buying HKG-YVR on AC if there was some sort of sizeable bonus miles on offer. When CX does bonus miles they at least offer double or more.

wwtsang Oct 20, 2011 12:02 am

seems dumb but based on how the site is laid out that might be the case

guess it 'encourages' people to buy the executive first fare instead of an instant upgrade from Y/B and getting a lot more points

becreative Oct 20, 2011 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Souvlaki (Post 17303510)

AC IT treats your upgraded bookings (bookings that have been moved to R class if when seats for upgrades are available and you are in the time period for upgrades) with the same way it would treat your booked fare class for mileage accumulation and change fare/cancellation penalties. Why would this promo be any different? What does AC IT have to do differently to make sure that your upgraded flights map back to the original class of purchase when they do this on a daily basis? :confused:

maybe i am just missing something very simple here but it seems to be clear as mud for me ;)

acysb87 Oct 20, 2011 5:15 am

Will there be bonus fees to redeem said bonus miles when it is time to book on AE ?:p;)

Clipper801 Oct 20, 2011 7:29 am

Similar rules for the Canada-China/Hong Kong promotion too.

No bonus for Latitude unless you upgrade into R (with eUpgrade or purchase LMU).

No bonus if you buy Executive First (Z,C,D & J).

Bonus only if you buy Tango Plus.

Tango gets double points in a separate but appearing to be targetted promotion.

The only "losers" appear to be those buying Latitude without upgrading into R (too bad if you do not have eUpgrade credits) and Executive First.

I wonder what this promotion is trying to achieve.

Clipper801 Oct 20, 2011 8:00 am

-deleted-

wwtsang Oct 20, 2011 4:59 pm

i DM'd the AC top tier twitter account and they replied back the following:

"Your eligiblity will be based on your originally purchased Economy booking class. Sorry for confusion, we'll improve T&Cs next time."

so upgraded latitude will still get the higher amount of miles, guess they're not that evil after all :D

Souvlaki Oct 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by wwtsang (Post 17309003)
so upgraded latitude will still get the higher amount of miles, guess they're not that evil after all :D

I'll reserve judgement until the bonus miles post. Thanks for the info.

But I didn't claim they were evil anyway. I just read the T&C and took them literally. Dumb thing only a lawyer would do, I know.

Andrew Yiu Oct 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Can confirm that bonus miles you receive will be based on your original purchased booking class.

global happy traveller Oct 20, 2011 8:31 pm

last time they had a similar promotion for Canada-Tokyo.........

Mrs GHT and I bought Tango Plus (upgraded to J one way) and returned using Executive Lowest return....... Supposed to be promo bonus miles (which is similar to the one posted) but because it was in mixed booking class, we got 0 bonus.

Tried calling Aeroplan and AC and it was just pure finger pointing then was told it has to be in the same class.

Clipper801 Oct 20, 2011 9:00 pm

It's the first time in recent memory that AC has purposely excluded those flying Latitude and Executive First from receiving any bonus in a promotion.

In the past, Executive First was always included and in fact received a little extra than Tango Plus.

I find it very upsetting that AC would treat its "premium" passengers flying in Executive First this way. When one is ready to fork out $6~7,000 to buy a business class return ticket to Asia, there are many choices including some with higher Skytrax star ratings and greater frequencies than AC. If one has already reached Elite but will not get to SE, there is more reason to check out other airlines.

acysb87 Oct 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 17310020)
It's the first time in recent memory that AC has purposely excluded those flying Latitude and Executive First from receiving any bonus in a promotion.

In the past, Executive First was always included and in fact received a little extra than Tango Plus.

I find it very upsetting that AC would treat its "premium" passengers flying in Executive First this way. When one is ready to fork out $6~7,000 to buy a business class return ticket to Asia, there are many choices including some with higher Skytrax star ratings and greater frequencies than AC. If one has already reached Elite but will not get to SE, there is more reason to check out other airlines.

Welcome to the club.I pay significant revenue to fly low Q mileage routes vs. those that pay TPlus fares to ASIA and get all these points on relatively low fares.

Happens all the time.Look at it this way, AC treats everyone the same.;):D

Santander Oct 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 17310020)
When one is ready to fork out $6~7,000 to buy a business class return ticket to Asia, there are many choices including some with higher Skytrax star ratings and greater frequencies than AC.

Well, even HU is 5* (they're actually really good) but the fact that they're rated higher than NH sort of tells you something about the Skytrax ratings. Even CA, CZ and CI are 4* while "real" 4* airlines like 9W, TK and VS (arguably 5*) have to share space with the likes of SU and NK in the 3* category.

It doesn't change the fact that AC is nowhere near the best *A carriers from NA to Asia, even in "Executive First". But they still pride themselves on being better than American/Chinese airlines. :(

Snow Goose Oct 21, 2011 1:47 pm

@:-) If anyone is looking at the AC Europe pass as some kind of AC mileage run opportunity (i.e. $7600 for 3 round trips and 21k Status / 150k total miles for SE's earning 100% mileage bonus), it isn't a particularly good value. You can do better (double the number of status miles and lower cost / mile) to the same destination using creative routings, booking in Z so no need to burn upgrade credits and earning an additional 35k redeemable miles in the process. Cost is roughly the same and works out to 4 cents per mile for SE's. Not a great mileage run in its own right, but a stellar way to pick up extra miles or assist in requalification if you already have a desire or need to travel to London for business or pleasure.

The latitude passes do, however, make a lot of sense if you value the booking conveniance and direct flights over the additional miles.

SG

McScruffy Oct 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I wish they had also included other european cities as part of this promotion. I should be flying to FRA/MUC a few times between now and the end of the year.

Would anyone know if one flew on the 19th and then registered for the promotion after landing if that segment would qualify? I mean the promotion was to start on the 19th, but if one didn't get an email about it until the 19th how could one register prior to flying.

wwtsang Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Snow Goose (Post 17313883)
@:-) If anyone is looking at the AC Europe pass as some kind of AC mileage run opportunity (i.e. $7600 for 3 round trips and 21k Status / 150k total miles for SE's earning 100% mileage bonus), it isn't a particularly good value. You can do better (double the number of status miles and lower cost / mile) to the same destination using creative routings, booking in Z so no need to burn upgrade credits and earning an additional 35k redeemable miles in the process. Cost is roughly the same and works out to 4 cents per mile for SE's. Not a great mileage run in its own right, but a stellar way to pick up extra miles or assist in requalification if you already have a desire or need to travel to London for business or pleasure.

The latitude passes do, however, make a lot of sense if you value the booking conveniance and direct flights over the additional miles.

SG

as pointed out by another poster we shouldn't really call it a MR when most of the miles isn't status

applying for credit cards with bonus would probably earn you miles for a lot less cost, but you've made me intrigued, what kind of creative routings are we talking about? :)

wwtsang Oct 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by McScruffy (Post 17313958)
I wish they had also included other european cities as part of this promotion. I should be flying to FRA/MUC a few times between now and the end of the year.

Would anyone know if one flew on the 19th and then registered for the promotion after landing if that segment would qualify? I mean the promotion was to start on the 19th, but if one didn't get an email about it until the 19th how could one register prior to flying.

you're fine ^
from the T&C
Eligible flights taken prior to registration and within the offer travel period qualify

Ancien Maestro Oct 21, 2011 9:38 pm

So.. do you get 105,000 miles plus the regular miles thats usually included in the booking class?

Or just 105K miles..?

Jasper2009 Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17315849)
So.. do you get 105,000 miles plus the regular miles thats usually included in the booking class?

Or just 105K miles..?

The max. amount of 105k miles can be earnt in addition to the regular miles you´d earn anyway. (That´s why they´re called "bonus miles")

Ancien Maestro Oct 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 17317035)
The max. amount of 105k miles can be earnt in addition to the regular miles you´d earn anyway. (That´s why they´re called "bonus miles")

Thanks..

and the only thing to be careful when booking, is to ensure its a fare class that qualifies for the bonus miles..

Sounds like a pretty good deal, if the price of the tickets aren't jacked up just because of this promo..

ACflyerDE Oct 23, 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by McScruffy (Post 17313958)

If you don't mind connecting in LHR to get to FRA / MUC then you could just do that and collect the bonus miles. However, ac.com does not give you LHR as a transfer point automatically, you would need to call AC or a TA to book it.

McScruffy Oct 23, 2011 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE (Post 17320428)
If you don't mind connecting in LHR to get to FRA / MUC then you could just do that and collect the bonus miles. However, ac.com does not give you LHR as a transfer point automatically, you would need to call AC or a TA to book it.

I thought about that, but my client is booking my flight and checking on ITA, connecting through LHR is adding significant cost to the flights I need to take. Plus I'm travelling with 2 other people who don't have status and will definitely want to get to our final destination as quickly as possible.

Thanks for idea though.

BlondeBomber Oct 24, 2011 4:13 pm

anyone able to register today? I registered a while ago but my SO couldn't do it in IE9 or Firefox today--only got an error page. I tried on my computer and got same . . .

antirealist Oct 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 17329023)
anyone able to register today?

No, same here. Can't get log in to my flight passes either...