FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AIR CANADA'S Fall Promotion - 105,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1270933-air-canadas-fall-promotion-105-000-bonus-aeroplan-miles.html)

getaround Oct 19, 2011 4:23 pm

AIR CANADA'S Fall Promotion - 105,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles

https://www1.aeroplan.com/promotions...ortCookie=true

Time to buy a London pass :)

Clipper801 Oct 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I have made a comment regarding the current Canada-China/Hong Kong promotion in post #152 at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post17302741

It is interesting to note that AC has deliberately excluded Latitude and Executive Fares from this promotion.

In order to get the bonus with Latitude fare, one must be able to upgrade into R as R is a qualifying class for the bonus.

Railroad flyer Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Well the offer is in response to this from BA

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...penxtype=click

However BA offer is on any TATL with BA / AA or IB where as the AC offer is only to London.

If there was a direct *A flight to MAD or BCN I would be jumping on this.....

jerryhung Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

To get 105,000 Aeroplan miles, 3 round-trips needed to London

Offer is valid with the following fare options (booking classes) only:

Latitude (Y, B)
Executive First Lowest (C, D, Z)
Executive First Flexible (J)

PreferBulkhead Oct 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Why worry about facts and details - this is FT afterall :p

getaround Oct 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 17303143)
To get 105,000 Aeroplan miles, 3 round-trips needed to London

Hence why a Europe Lat pass could be a good option especially if you have the credits to burn - $7,620 3 returns in J if you have the credits and a bucket load of miles - base miles / E&SE bonus miles and the up to 105K bonus wouldn't be too bad.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by getaround (Post 17302613)

Well...

You get 105,000 bonus for 3 round-trips in Y/B, but if you upgrade a latitude pass booking (which maps to Y) on those legs you get kicked into R class, which means only 5,000 bonus miles per RT.

So, in a sense, upgrades on a Y flight pass booking during the promotion now cost 6 eUps plus foregoing a whack of bonus AE miles.

On the one hand that seems kinda crappy. On the other, it's a promo... 5,000 bonus miles is still a bonus, and I'm sitting up front. Suppose I can sit in the back if I want the extra miles, which I might do if AE miles were still worth anything...

payam81 Oct 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by getaround (Post 17303206)
Hence why a Europe Lat pass could be a good option especially if you have the credits to burn - $7,620 3 returns in J if you have the credits and a bucket load of miles - base miles / E&SE bonus miles and the up to 105K bonus wouldn't be too bad.

Actually it's more like $8610 after HST.

Even with the SE 100% bonus and 1 mile/$ CC earning you'd still be closer to 0.06 CPM. Hardly close to MR territory but I guess if you just have to be in LHR, then it's not a bad bonus. Definitely not worth entertaining MR ideas though.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by getaround (Post 17303206)

As I read it, upgrading to R class means just 15,000 bonus miles for the 3 RT's.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 17303250)
Actually it's more like $8610 after HST.

I don;t think there is HST on international flights. I do my own books and I've never seen HST on any London or Europe FP I've bought.

payam81 Oct 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Souvlaki (Post 17303262)
I don;t think there is HST on international flights. I do my own books and I've never seen HST on any London or Europe FP I've bought.

Ahhh I stand corrected. You're right!

This brings down the CPM to $0.05.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 17303276)
This brings down the CPM to $0.05.

For non-status miles. Why on earth would one want to do that? Is it even called a MR when the miles are non-status?

zorn Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Souvlaki (Post 17303239)
Well...

You get 105,000 bonus for 3 round-trips in Y/B, but if you upgrade a latitude pass booking (which maps to Y) on those legs you get kicked into R class, which means only 5,000 bonus miles per RT.

So, in a sense, upgrades on a Y flight pass booking during the promotion now cost 6 eUps plus foregoing a whack of bonus AE miles.

On the one hand that seems kinda crappy. On the other, it's a promo... 5,000 bonus miles is still a bonus, and I'm sitting up front. Suppose I can sit in the back if I want the extra miles, which I might do if AE miles were still worth anything...

They have inelegantly worded the T&C to exclude upgraded Tango+ flights from the 25000 per round trip bonus for being in Executive First.

There is no way you lose the Y/B bonus miles just because you upgrade.

mrpickle Oct 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 17303411)
They have inelegantly worded the T&C to exclude upgraded Tango+ flights from the 25000 per round trip bonus for being in Executive First.

I agree. I thought that the original booking class always determines mileage accrual. That should mean that the bonus applies to an upgraded fare.

Souvlaki Oct 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 17303411)

Originally Posted by mrpickle (Post 17303479)
I agree. I thought that the original booking class always determines mileage accrual. That should mean that the bonus applies to an upgraded fare.

No way you *should* lose the Y/B bonus. And you may both be right. I'm just taking the T&C at face value.

Who wants to bet that AC IT is incapable of treating R-class bookings differently, based on original booking class, for the purposes of this promo?