Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Facts about Air Canada flight attendants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facts about Air Canada flight attendants

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I think I have read enough.

There is no right or wrong in this -this argument will never have a solid conclusion.

But somehow the following we know as a fact:

1. Air Canada is a really poorly managed company (even as the only Canadian airlines that serve international destinations, they are still not making profit and other airlines (like Cathay Pacific) are able to take advantage).

2. The Government of Canada is also stupid - failed to help Air Canada when AC needs the most.

A disaster is not resulted by one single incident. It is a combination of several things together.

So as a passengers, who cares how much a FA make? What we want is decent service, and a smile
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
I think I have read enough.

There is no right or wrong in this -this argument will never have a solid conclusion.

But somehow the following we know as a fact:

1. Air Canada is a really poorly managed company (even as the only Canadian airlines that serve international destinations, they are still not making profit and other airlines (like Cathay Pacific) are able to take advantage).

2. The Government of Canada is also stupid - failed to help Air Canada when AC needs the most.

A disaster is not resulted by one single incident. It is a combination of several things together.

So as a passengers, who cares how much a FA make? What we want is decent service, and a smile
... and a great ticket price, or low fee redemption..

an aside.. how would the Government of Canada help AC out more?

And when did AC needed the help the most?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Sorry I disappeared. I got called away to more pressing issues.

Right inside the original post is the claim:

That is quite simply not true. The number ($9502) may be, but "allowances" are not pay. They are reimbursements for out of pocket expenses incurred in conjuction with their employment. If AC wants to consider those allowances "pay" then they likely have a serious problem with Revenue Canada for not collecting the income taxes due on that "pay."

(If it was true that "allowances" are "pay" then it's likely that I and many other FT posters have been under reporting our "income" by thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.)

As well, under the "Hours Worked" section they go to great lengths to describe how FAs are paid during their paid working hours, yet there is no mention of the fact that they are required to work a lot of unpaid hours.

These unpaid hours are not time spent waiting for a plane to come in, or sitting in hotel room somewhere, but rather time where the employees are required to work, but are in fact not paid. A prime example is during the boarding phase of the flight where FAs are seating passengers, handing out newspapers, serving pre-flight drinks, and generally readying the plane and passengers for departure.

If you think these unpaid hours should not be included in the effective rate of pay calculations, then I presume you also agree that flight attendents should be allowed to show up for the flight any time before the cabin door is closed, as they are not getting paid for that time.

Calling reimbursements "pay" and not including the unpaid hours are to me both dishonest. The unpaid hours issue may be a "lie of ommision" but it's a lie nonetheless.
Thank you! Someone who gets it. And another point, I find it wrong for them to include extra hours (aka "overtime"- although we don't actually get paid any premium for picking up extra flights on our days off) in what is being purported to be "Flight Attendant salary." Overtime is optional and for the OP to include it, along with allowances, in average annual pay is dishonest.

Last edited by turnfreak; Oct 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aéroplan, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Corporate communication that although partly factual, clearly does not give the full picture. It does create a starting point for an informed discussion, however. Personally, I do not feel that it is appropriate to bargain their case in FlyerTalk, the proper venue is the bargaining table. Although most FAs are too professional to air dirty laundry with customers, those who have friends in AC employ are aware that the number of crew who are senior enough to hold overseas flying is limited to the top third. What these figures do not tell you is that to earn the average wage, most do extra flying, because since the 17% give-backs in bankruptcy, they cannot make ends meet JUST flying 80 hours a month. For the reserves, it is far worse.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Generally exec bod have a formal termination procedure..

But often removed means resigned.. so a conscious exec bod member would tune in to see if they lost confidence with their membership, and resign if they feel its best for the membership..

Sort of like coaches of NHL teams who step down.. headlines read, "Fired", when push came to shove, the ownership of professional sports teams ask the coaches to step down, and they did so voluntarily.. before the formal termination process kicks in.. but, many newspapers continue to consider the coach "Fired"..
I sure didn't see any kind of termination of CUPE FA execs, did you?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Calling reimbursements "pay" and not including the unpaid hours are to me both dishonest. The unpaid hours issue may be a "lie of ommision" but it's a lie nonetheless.
Agree that allowances are not pay but nor are they "reimbursements" - reimbursements are payments against actual costs incurred by the employee. Allowances are payments automatically paid against estimated job-related costs the employee will occur - the enterprising employee can earn a tidy tax-free sum off of allowances and the profligate ones will end up spending more than the allowance.

I'm always amazed how our sales people complain that the car allowance is too low, but when they are moved to management complain that they are not earning as much anymore because of less driving.

The unpaid hours issue is very real but a bit of a red herring. It appears to be one of those very bizarre practices that is standard in the airline industry, but it does create serious inequities - FA's who successfully bid for long hauls get their hours quickly, whereas the (usually junior) ones on short haul routes end up with a ton of "unpaid" time. Reality is that the industry could (and maybe should) move to paying based on hours at work, but then the hourly rate would decrease commensurately - it is just a matter of how you divide the compensation pie. Proposing such a change would undoubtedly create civil war in the union rank and file, which is likely why no one has touched it.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by AC SD YVR
Corporate communication that although partly factual, clearly does not give the full picture...
Thank you for your balanced first post and welcome to our little asylum. Now that you've dipped your toe in the water, don't be a stranger.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
... and a great ticket price, or low fee redemption..

an aside.. how would the Government of Canada help AC out more?

And when did AC needed the help the most?
1. Government of Canada was unwilling to grant UA-AC anti-trust agreements.

2. In the past, the Government resisted Victor Li from acquiring AC.

3. Government of Canada does not encourage AC to purchase from home (EMJ v. CRJ)

4. AC relied heavily on *A partner support (For example, UA leased 3 A330s to AC).
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:07 am

.... (For example, UA leased 3 A330s to AC).

Can someone elaborate? I didn't think UA was in the A330 business.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
And of course, like everyone else, you have the right to take a different airline, a different mode of transportation, or a different job that doesn't require you to put up with FAs.
Yep, I do everytime I get the opportunity, did not need you to give me that advice. Just wish SQ flew into YYZ so at least I will have smiling dolls onboard.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:27 am

Correction.. Claims would be a more accurate word.

This is an interesting claim..

Many travellers don't know this.. Lets say there is a delay, would FAs get paid then? Cancellations?
I believe delay waits - probably not......... But cancellations, yes a minimum of X hours set forth by the Federal Labour Code (I believe its call the Minimum Callback time)......

Once again, that was how I interpret it............ But I find that very strange as well.......

I think a more accurate analogy would be that you are only paid when there are customers in the store.

Or maybe only when ringing up a sale.
LOL you sorta get my point...........and if you have a customer that goes on waiting waiting waiting or a slow day.....then your not being paid..... almost like a commission based only person with no base salary

I believe Asian carriers, does it a little differently............. if I recall they work on rotating rosters and not by seniority bidding........

But lets put it this way, our hours of work (regardless of what industry we are in) has increased...... think about wearing PJs or in the shower typing you your BlackBerries
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends where and how the delay occurs.

If the plane departs the gate and is then stuck on the tarmac, then they likely would be getting paid.

But the much more frequent occurance of a flight delayed at the gate results in additional unpaid time. And I've had my fair share of 2 and 3 and 4 hour delays at the gate. (See: Show me the button! for an extended description of an extended delay (of about 4½ hours.))

Unlike people whining about how they don't get paid for their commute, or they are away from home, we're talking about actual, real work, that they are not paid for because the cabin door is not closed.

As for cancellations, don't know.

(If you are concerned about the veracity of the claim, I refer you to the original post, where, though not explicity stated, is clearly implied:
How does it work when a crew reaches their 'limit'? If the airline doesn't consider them 'working' if they are sitting at a gate etc. then how do they exceed their hours? Just curious I guess!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:09 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by The Lev
The unpaid hours issue is very real but a bit of a red herring. It appears to be one of those very bizarre practices that is standard in the airline industry, but it does create serious inequities - FA's who successfully bid for long hauls get their hours quickly, whereas the (usually junior) ones on short haul routes end up with a ton of "unpaid" time. Reality is that the industry could (and maybe should) move to paying based on hours at work, but then the hourly rate would decrease commensurately - it is just a matter of how you divide the compensation pie. Proposing such a change would undoubtedly create civil war in the union rank and file, which is likely why no one has touched it.
Except it's not a red herring, notwithstanding that it's common industry practice.

The problem with the claims in the original post are that they triy to make the case that people are only working 65, 75, or 80 hours per month (or whatever the number is) when in fact they are working many more hours, which in turn dilutes their per hour rate.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Yep, I do everytime I get the opportunity, did not need you to give me that advice. Just wish SQ flew into YYZ so at least I will have smiling dolls onboard.
If "smiling dolls" are important to you then you are to be pitied.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by emma69
How does it work when a crew reaches their 'limit'? If the airline doesn't consider them 'working' if they are sitting at a gate etc. then how do they exceed their hours? Just curious I guess!
Crew work/rest hours are CARs/CA, paid hours is company payroll. The laws are complicated (which is one of the reasons CDO is so widespread in some parts of the industry) but essentially flight crew are considered working for legal purposes whether they're on the ground or in the air. So those crews who time out because of a 3 hour delay were legally working the whole time. Industry practice is to pretty much pay only when the prop is hot. Mind you, you wouldn't want to put your life into the hands of a timed-out crew... that means they've been working for anywhere between 14 and 17 hours without any real rest. Having done some 12 hour duty days in the past, I assure you that your alertness and judgment are not even close to what they should be after that length of time.

Can't really compare AC with CX, considering Canada isn't in a strategic connection location like HKG and has ridiculously cumbersome and bureaucratic immigration procedures. HKG and SIN are tiny places and CX/SQ have 100% widebody fleets. CX's existing HKG-YVR-JFK flight is one of the few routings stopping through Canada to a 3rd country but it could be much better with better transit procedures/facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.