FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1125435-air-canada-stopover-hotel-program-likely-terminated-early-2022-a.html)

lorkers Jun 27, 2012 11:53 pm

[QUOTE=CdnFlier;14642393]I've called in to ask a question or two and no one at AC seemed to have any clue how it works (or that it even existed). [QUOTE]

Has anyone had the slightest luck in booking this?

I've got a classic CPH-YYZ-SYD in J, with 21 hours in YYZ.

I tried to book on the web: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ver/index.html

It told me to phone Air Canda.

Tried 3 Air Canada Agents - 2 in Sydney, one in Canada.

The 2 in Sydney flatly denied it ever existed. They assured me that in 5 years working for AC they had never heard of it, and if it did exist then they would have been selling it to all their customers.

The one in Canada assured me that it was not free, ever, not for J customers. I pointed out that it was on their website as 'One free night hotel' and got the run arround that this was strictly for Aeroplan members.

:confused:

Odd, Singapore Airlines make a mint out of their Stopover programme. I wonder why Air Canada can't be bothered to, well, even tell anyone about theirs!

will5404 Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by brownbomber (Post 17927886)
I was routed SEA YVR SYD on T+ fare and tried to find out info prior to booking to see how much a room would cost($49+ was quoted), and which hotels were available in YVR.
My plan was to book the YVR SYD leg for the next day if the hotel was cheap.
Nobody could give me any info, passed the buck to various phone numbers.
Finally gave up and just booked with connections on the same day.
Received a prompt whilst booking, your connection is greater than 6 hours do you want to take advantage of our stopover program?(arrived YVR am, left pm)
3 hotels were listed, the cheapest was greater than $49 (I think $69) and the most expensive $199 or thereabouts. Maybe marginally cheaper than if you booked direct.
Really this info should be available prior to booking so people which flights to book.

Booked myself to Bermuda, and from YWG there is a forced overnight layover. The rates for the stopover program were quite good, cheapest was the Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport ($49 a/i), the Sheraton in the airport was $123 a/i. SPG quoted $123+ for the Four Points, and ~$220+ for the Sheraton in the terminal. I doubt you could find an airport hotel that you would want to stay in for less than $49 a/i, even with PL/Hotwire. $123 a/i is pretty decent for the Sheraton, although more than PL/Hotwire.

Clipper801 Jul 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by lorkers (Post 18834255)

Originally Posted by CdnFlier (Post 14642393)
I've called in to ask a question or two and no one at AC seemed to have any clue how it works (or that it even existed).

Has anyone had the slightest luck in booking this?

I've got a classic CPH-YYZ-SYD in J, with 21 hours in YYZ.

I tried to book on the web: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ver/index.html

It told me to phone Air Canda.

Tried 3 Air Canada Agents - 2 in Sydney, one in Canada.

The 2 in Sydney flatly denied it ever existed. They assured me that in 5 years working for AC they had never heard of it, and if it did exist then they would have been selling it to all their customers.

The one in Canada assured me that it was not free, ever, not for J customers. I pointed out that it was on their website as 'One free night hotel' and got the run arround that this was strictly for Aeroplan members.

:confused:

Odd, Singapore Airlines make a mint out of their Stopover programme. I wonder why Air Canada can't be bothered to, well, even tell anyone about theirs!

You will be entitled to the Stopover programme only if you have booked through www.aircanada.ca and it is an itinerary offered by the web site, i.e., not “forced” layover using multi-city and the layover is ≥ 6 hours.

I do not know how you ended up with 21 hours' layover in YYZ. When I picked a random date of 29th Aug. 2012, you do not qualify because your layover is < 6 hours.

AC883 arrives YYZ from CPH at 2:50PM. AC033 departs YYZ for SYD at 8:25PM. Your layover is only 5h 35m.

Since you're flying Executive First, you will have access to the MLL.

Stranger Nov 5, 2012 11:10 am

According to rules, stopover is free on latitude.

However when I try to book (fare is latitude+upgrade), it quotes me the Tango Plus rates.

I wonder, maybe their system does not understand R fares? I guess I should have booked the hotel before upgrading?

cmatteotti Nov 5, 2012 1:31 pm

Oh man, the stopover can be massively difficult to book. I've managed to do it (twice!) by ringing Air Canada Vacations repeatedly, until I finally managed to reach an agent who knew what was going on. I think one agent at Air Canada had heard of the programme but insisted that I didn't meet the terms and conditions as I wasn't going through Hong Kong, even though I could recite the *real* terms and conditions by the end of this ordeal.

You appear to be able to force a stopover by completing a multi-city booking online, putting it on hold (instead of paying for it), and then ringing Air Canada directly. When I did this, the agent was able to 'fix' the booking so that it didn't appear in Air Canada's systems as the forbidden multicity booking.

There are then two ways to pay - over the phone with the agent (not recommended, as this later caused problems with Air Canada Vacations) or by going back online to pay for the fixed booking (I imagine this would be easier, as it should provide the 'Opt in to the Air Canada Stopover' programme notification).

I've booked into random Toronto Airport hotels for Cad$49/night, which I think is pretty good but when the cheap rates aren't available, I just use Priceline to do the same thing at pretty much the same price. I think it's a great programme - it allows me to get the last flight out of LHR after pretty much a full day of work and to my western Canadian destination early enough the next morning in a much more rested state!

Stranger Nov 5, 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by cmatteotti (Post 19629149)
Oh man, the stopover can be massively difficult to book. I've managed to do it (twice!) by ringing Air Canada Vacations repeatedly, until I finally managed to reach an agent who knew what was going on. I think one agent at Air Canada had heard of the programme but insisted that I didn't meet the terms and conditions as I wasn't going through Hong Kong, even though I could recite the *real* terms and conditions by the end of this ordeal.

You appear to be able to force a stopover by completing a multi-city booking online, putting it on hold (instead of paying for it), and then ringing Air Canada directly. When I did this, the agent was able to 'fix' the booking so that it didn't appear in Air Canada's systems as the forbidden multicity booking.

There are then two ways to pay - over the phone with the agent (not recommended, as this later caused problems with Air Canada Vacations) or by going back online to pay for the fixed booking (I imagine this would be easier, as it should provide the 'Opt in to the Air Canada Stopover' programme notification).

I happen to have a suitable stopover. When I booked it offered me the option and I selected it all right. However I did not actually complete the booking.

But anyway, my issue is not eligibility. But price.

I've booked into random Toronto Airport hotels for Cad$49/night, which I think is pretty good but when the cheap rates aren't available, I just use Priceline to do the same thing at pretty much the same price. I think it's a great programme - it allows me to get the last flight out of LHR after pretty much a full day of work and to my western Canadian destination early enough the next morning in a much more rested state!
I am on a latitude fare. The system quotes me the same price: $49 for the cheapest option. However according to their web page, for latitude tickets, the thing should be free.

That is my problem. Not getting access to the program.

cmatteotti Nov 5, 2012 1:49 pm

I am on a latitude fare. The system quotes me the same price: $49 for the cheapest option. However according to their web page, for latitude tickets, the thing should be free.

That is my problem. Not getting access to the program.
I spoke to about half a dozen people at Air Canada Vacations before I found someone who a) knew what was going on, and b) could help me. Maybe try ringing again??? (and then possibly again :mad:) It's a pain, yes, but since no one really appears to know how the programme works, I'm not sure what your other options are....

(except for Air Canada fixing their IT systems and telling their staff about their programmes, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon)

Stranger Nov 5, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by cmatteotti (Post 19629273)
I spoke to about half a dozen people at Air Canada Vacations before I found someone who a) knew what was going on, and b) could help me. Maybe try ringing again??? (and then possibly again :mad:) It's a pain, yes, but since no one really appears to know how the programme works, I'm not sure what your other options are....

(except for Air Canada fixing their IT systems and telling their staff about their programmes, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon)

I am in the middle of nowhere in South America. Using skype to call the SE line works more or less OK, and I might try it with their toll-free number. But I started by sending an e-mail to the contact e-mail mentioned on their web page.

Let's see how far I get. Whether I end up dealing with someone who understands the concept of upgrades, or someone who tries to BS me and tries telling me that R is some sort of T+....

Stranger Nov 6, 2012 10:28 am

So far no answer, and the problem persists.

BTW, interesting detail: on the ACVacations site, GRU airport became Guaruja instead of Guarulhos. I wish :D

(Would suit vacations better surely.)

bluegrinch Nov 6, 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 17929079)
There are very few situations where one cannot find an immediate connection within 6 hours.

Must be getting half of the few myself. Last happened beginning of the year, scenario always the same: morning transborder flight into Montreal/Toronto for day of meeting followed by flight to Europe. Hotel offered even though later transborder flights were available with <6h connection.

FWIW traveling in paid J.

yvr76 Mar 26, 2013 1:20 am

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 17931944)
I flew YVR YYZ SJU last December in paid J and tried to use this program and was denied. Classic Airline interpretation that SJU (and Hawaii) is considered an international destination when it comes to COS bonus and IKK, but domestic for the stopover program.

Was just able to do this for YVR YYZ CUN on an Exec Low (Z) fare. The stopover was 12 hours on the return and I booked 2 rooms (you're allowed 1 per pax).

Full rules here:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ver/index.html

hastuk Mar 26, 2013 2:04 am

We used the AC stopover program for an overnight stay in YUL last year and it was a good value for the $99 for two people in a double room. This year we are eligible for a flight from EZE to CDG via YYZ. Flight arrives at 6 am. Also booked on two different PNRs. Can book one room each for $42. Would be happy to have a double for $84 but not sure this will happen. Called the hotel desk to find out about going in at 7 am and she said we couldn't go in until 2 pm. She recommended that we book their day room, a double for $77. Sounded ideal until I called their res office only to find there is no availability and this is for November. Does anyone have any experience with going into a hotel at 7 am? This could end up being a very long day in YYZ lounge!

The Lev Mar 26, 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by hastuk (Post 20483684)
Can book one room each for $42. Would be happy to have a double for $84 but not sure this will happen. Called the hotel desk to find out about going in at 7 am and she said we couldn't go in until 2 pm. She recommended that we book their day room, a double for $77. Sounded ideal until I called their res office only to find there is no availability and this is for November.

Would you be allowed to book 2 nights at $42 - total $84 is not much more than the $77 day room.

hastuk Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 20485273)
Would you be allowed to book 2 nights at $42 - total $84 is not much more than the $77 day room.

Yes and that would be great and may be what we will do. However, the hotel desk clerk said that we couldn't check in until 2 pm. We would like to access said room(s) at 7 am. I still have the question - has anyone had success going in to a hotel at 7 am on the AC stopover program?

yvr76 Mar 26, 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by hastuk (Post 20485757)
Yes and that would be great and may be what we will do. However, the hotel desk clerk said that we couldn't check in until 2 pm. We would like to access said room(s) at 7 am. I still have the question - has anyone had success going in to a hotel at 7 am on the AC stopover program?

My flight from CUN comes in at 1am on April 6th and I'd need about 10 hours. If I was booking this hotel myself, I'd book April 5th and advise the property of a late arrival. However the stopover program has booked April 6th -> April 7th. :confused: