Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tracon
I don't think that routing would be allowed. That's a long back track.
I'm to lazy to look up the MPM to verify though.

BKK-DXB-YYZ would be a valid routing.
The backtrack via PEK is within MPM.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:27 pm

Sorry, another question, promise its not going to be the last one.

Instead of this routing:
yyz-muc
muc-bkk
bkk-Dps stop 5 nights
dps-sin stop. 5 nights
sin -bkk
bkk-dxb stop 5 nights
dxb-pek
pek-yyz

Can I do something like this?
yyz-muc (AC)
muc-bkk (Thai)
bkk-Dps (Thai) stop 5 nights
dps-sin (SQ)
sin - Add (ET)
Add -dxb (ET) stop 5 nights
dxb - Bkk (TG)
bkk-SIN (SQ) Stop 5 nights
SIN-TPE (EVA)
TPE - YYZ (Eva)

or this:
yyz-muc
muc-bkk
bkk-Dps stop 5 nights
dps-sin stop. 5 nights
sin -bkk
bkk-dxb stop 5 nights
dxb-bkk
bkk-sin
sin-tpe
tpe-yyz

I am trying to do stops in DPS, DXB, and SIN without using PEK as the route home. Would this be too many times through BKK? I am up for other creative options, even if I need to break some segments and pay for them separately.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Commie
Can I do something like this?
yyz-muc (AC)
muc-bkk (Thai)
bkk-Dps (Thai) stop 5 nights
dps-sin (SQ)
sin - Add (ET)
Add -dxb (ET) stop 5 nights
dxb - Bkk (TG)
bkk-SIN (SQ) Stop 5 nights
SIN-TPE (EVA)
TPE - YYZ (Eva)

or this:
yyz-muc
muc-bkk
bkk-Dps stop 5 nights
dps-sin stop. 5 nights
sin -bkk
bkk-dxb stop 5 nights
dxb-bkk
bkk-sin
sin-tpe
tpe-yyz.
1) No. DPS is considered the destination. Outbound is YYZ-MUC-BKK-DPS. Inbound is DPS-SIN-ADD-DXB-BKK-SIN-TPE-YYZ. You cannot go through SIN twice in one direction.
2) No. DPS destination. Outbound YYZ-MUC-BKK-DPS. Inbound DPS-SIN-BKK-DXB-BKK-SIN-TPE-YYZ. Cannot go through SIN or BKK twice.

Why not do something like this:

YYZ-MUC-IST-DXB-BKK-DPS
DPS-SIN-TPE-YYZ

Assuming you can find space of course.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
any suggestions for a mRTW i'm planning but where i am looking for different aircraft types looking at say A340/A380/747 vs the 767,777, 787 and A330 that i normally would fly on with AC. mainly looking at either Europe and/or Australia/NZ
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP perhaps you should try Award Booking Services. May cost you 2 to 400 $. There is thread with reviews. If you wait anymore there may not be anys pace !
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: hahaha
I've spent a few hours on the forum today (among hundreds of hours lurking in the past) just brushing up on mRTW booking strategies, because I'm just about to get open space (330 days) for a booking I've been planning for a while! But I have some questions...

The route is: IAD-CDG (stop)-TPE-HKG (turnaround) - TPE-KIX-HND (stop)-YVR-YEG-DEN/IAH-IAD (MPM valid, I swear)

The first goal is to minimize YQ, so I read somewhere that you can estimate with ITA Matrix. Unfortunately there's only so many flights you can pop into the multi-city search, so I tried to segment it by turnaround. Now I know that my turnaround (HKG "destination") has YQ-impact legislation, and I was choosing to fly with no/low YQ carriers (SN, UA, BR), but my YQ still ended up being a surprising C$528 on estimation, am I doing it right? Or is this what I should expect to pay?

Secondly, I know it's a bit early to find UA availability from YEG-IAH-IAD but doing 330 days out (or less) in Jan 2020, Dec 2019, or even Nov 2019 shows no space at all! Is this because UA credit card holders get access to so many seats and they've taken them all? Or in everyone's experience is UA stringent with this kind of routing? Or YEG-DEN on UA Express...do they often not give availabilities? Getting worried about how I'll get back to the east coast without booking AC all the way for max YQ

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asovse1
I've spent a few hours on the forum today (among hundreds of hours lurking in the past) just brushing up on mRTW booking strategies, because I'm just about to get open space (330 days) for a booking I've been planning for a while! But I have some questions...

The route is: IAD-CDG (stop)-TPE-HKG (turnaround) - TPE-KIX-HND (stop)-YVR-YEG-DEN/IAH-IAD (MPM valid, I swear)

The first goal is to minimize YQ, so I read somewhere that you can estimate with ITA Matrix. Unfortunately there's only so many flights you can pop into the multi-city search, so I tried to segment it by turnaround. Now I know that my turnaround (HKG "destination") has YQ-impact legislation, and I was choosing to fly with no/low YQ carriers (SN, UA, BR), but my YQ still ended up being a surprising C$528 on estimation, am I doing it right? Or is this what I should expect to pay?

Secondly, I know it's a bit early to find UA availability from YEG-IAH-IAD but doing 330 days out (or less) in Jan 2020, Dec 2019, or even Nov 2019 shows no space at all! Is this because UA credit card holders get access to so many seats and they've taken them all? Or in everyone's experience is UA stringent with this kind of routing? Or YEG-DEN on UA Express...do they often not give availabilities? Getting worried about how I'll get back to the east coast without booking AC all the way for max YQ

Thanks!
The point is, Aeroplan chose NOT charge YQ on certain partners, therefore what is shown on ITA or what local government regulations are, have ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING. It is Aeroplan's policy whether to pass along the YQ or not.

You already know you need to use those airlines you named to minimize YQ - because Aeroplan does not charge on these airlines - why would you check what the YQ would be on the ITA, if Aeroplan does not pass it along?

You know AC charges YQ on its own flights BUT if AC is only used between Canada and US, there seems also no YQ.

Not really sure why after hundreds hours lurking, you seem to still completely miss the basics.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 16, 2019 at 2:50 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Thanks!
You dont need to worry about the domestic/transborder AC sections, those dont really add to YQ. Just avoid the YQ carriers over water.

Unfortunatelly YQ is a totally made up scam by AC who make Aeroplan charge it as their agent, and since its not asked for by the carriers you are actually flying, its just a random list of where it gets charged and where it doesnt. Sometimes you think it wont apply, but by mixing in a YQ-able flight it will.

In your case HND-YVR will add YQ, it should be minimal on NH (and horrendous on AC, since you ll likely get charged for the entire HKG-IAD length, based on IAD as origin)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:03 am

Thanks!
Hong Kong is not a YQ regulated destination anymore since last November. Also, KIX-HND is a domestic NH operated flight, i don't think that NH releases that far out for domestic flight maybe somebody can chime in on this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:08 am

hmm not sure if I'm understanding the backtracking rule, if I'm going through the route below, does the route from BKK back down to DPS and DPS back up to TPE count as backtracking?
YYZ - CAI
CAI - IST
IST - MLE - stop
MLE - SIN
SIN - SGN
SGN - BKK - stop
BKK - DPS - destination
DPS - TPE
TPE - YYZ
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by southbeach82
hmm not sure if I'm understanding the backtracking rule, if I'm going through the route below, does the route from BKK back down to DPS and DPS back up to TPE count as backtracking?
There is no backtracking rule. You just have to be within MPM, and cannot transfer the same city twice in one direction. Your itinerary is perfectly fine, assuming it fits into YYZ-DPS MPM, which I bet it does.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Does anyone know if the YQ of the sum of 2 individual legs = YQ of the total? I am planning a mRTW, and these 2 flights are part of it.
i.e.
Singapore Airlines SQ600 SIN-YYZ $97 YQ for 2 pax
Mon. Aug 12

Air Canada AC62 ICN-YYZ $110 YQ for 2 pax (this was surprisingly low - not sure if glitch?)
Mon. Aug 12
Total should be approx 110+97?

Searching Sin-yyz on Aug12 yields the above combination, but YQ is 600$ for 2 pax.

I wonder what the phone agent will come up with. Is this not a case of sum of all the parts equal the total?

EDIT: just tried ICN - PEK - YYZ on AC for the long haul and it yields <100$ fees per person. Seems like starting from ICN gets rid of carrier surcharge on AC long haul when flying to YYZ. Does this mean one would need to do a STOPover at ICN to take advantage of low YQs coming back to YYZ on AC?

Last edited by cennis; Feb 15, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:44 pm

Is there a good way to find out the estimated tax+surcharge on mRTW? I have a few options on my route back to YYZ from Asia so wanted to compare the potential fee, assuming flights were available.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by cennis
Does anyone know if the YQ of the sum of 2 individual legs = YQ of the total? I am planning a mRTW, and these 2 flights are part of it.
i.e.
Singapore Airlines SQ600 SIN-YYZ $97 YQ for 2 pax
Mon. Aug 12

Air Canada AC62 ICN-YYZ $110 YQ for 2 pax (this was surprisingly low - not sure if glitch?)
Mon. Aug 12
Total should be approx 110+97?

Searching Sin-yyz on Aug12 yields the above combination, but YQ is 600$ for 2 pax.

I wonder what the phone agent will come up with. Is this not a case of sum of all the parts equal the total?

EDIT: just tried ICN - PEK - YYZ on AC for the long haul and it yields <100$ fees per person. Seems like starting from ICN gets rid of carrier surcharge on AC long haul when flying to YYZ. Does this mean one would need to do a STOPover at ICN to take advantage of low YQs coming back to YYZ on AC?
Aeroplan ignores enroute cities, most of the time you'll be hit with origin-destination YQ regardless of how you get there, unless you cross on an airline that doesn't charge like BR. You are getting hit with Canada-SIN whether you stop in ICN or not

You can easily test this by looking up YYZ-SIN, SIN-ICN, ICN-YYZ on Aeroplan multi city.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:00 pm

Just managed to book my 2nd ever mini RTW trip. Last minute trip to Asia again like 1st one last yr. Leaving in 3 weeks. Selected extra stop overs so to soak in biz class experience and lounge.

All segments in biz class except one which will be economy plus on Air Can. Was told if a biz seat opens up, I can get it at no extra charge.

Aeroplan reps (twice) picked up call within 30 secs. One today was super helpful. $630 in fees/taxes plus $30 for booking over phone. No way around the $630, mostly AC scam fees.

I will be flying biz class with Air Can, ANA, Thai Air, Sing and Air China. Tried Air Can and ANA and Thai Air previously.

Another epic trip. Super excited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.