Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

What to do ~ a week in Cape Town / Area ("Capetown")?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do ~ a week in Cape Town / Area ("Capetown")?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's a big city, stuff is going on every day. V&A Waterfront is always hopping, there are parts of downtown with lots of nightlife.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
5 Nights in Cape Town

I spent most of my nights at the V&A waterfront as was traveling solo and enjoyed the area -
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
5 days will be perfect, the city and surrounds offer so much, great beach scene, wine, excellent restautant and bar visits and stunning vistas will not dissapoint, the current exchange rate will make the 5 days even better!!!!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:06 am
rev

I was just there solo for 5 nights and wish I'd made it longer. There's plenty of nightlife around Long St., and the Waterfront is a good option too. On the weekend I found the bars were (predictably) more packed and many had loud music if that's your scene, but weekdays still had respectable sized crowds after about 10pm in most places and I found it easier to meet other people that way. Above that, there's tons of different kinds of restaurants, beaches, and scenery to check out.

Even though I'm more of an urban dweller and I like the nightlife of different cities a lot, I found Cape Town was possibly the only place I preferred being outside the city. Table Mountain, Cape of Good Hope, Garden Route, tons of Reserves, Wine Tours...all good stuff
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:58 am

Thanks for the great info! I would like to do a day trip Safari nearby to Cape Town. I don't want to stay overnight anywhere just want to go outside of Cape Town for the afternoon to check out some of the animals? Everything I have looked up was overnights.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
Around Cape Town there are several options, Cape Point Nature Reserve you will see some buck and ostriches some penguins near Simonstown is a must. There is also a Cheetah experience in Somerset West. If you really want a decent experience try Aquila, it is pretty distant, but well worth it.
http://www.aquilasafari.com/day-trip-safari
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:16 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Thanks for the great info! I would like to do a day trip Safari nearby to Cape Town. I don't want to stay overnight anywhere just want to go outside of Cape Town for the afternoon to check out some of the animals? Everything I have looked up was overnights.
I enjoyed the day long tour of the Cape of Good Hope with DayTrippers. You stop in Simon's Town for the penguins, then do some bike riding and hiking out on the peninsula. Lots of good exercise, and nice guides. Free lunch, too.

http://www.daytrippers.co.za/Day%20t...ape_point.html

I can recommend the two day pass on the hop on hop off buses, go all around Cape Town, as well as out to a few Constantia Valley wineries and Hout Bay.
https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/cape-town

Enjoy!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I enjoyed the day long tour of the Cape of Good Hope with DayTrippers. You stop in Simon's Town for the penguins, then do some bike riding and hiking out on the peninsula. Lots of good exercise, and nice guides. Free lunch, too.

I can recommend the two day pass on the hop on hop off buses, go all around Cape Town, as well as out to a few Constantia Valley wineries and Hout Bay.

Enjoy!
What sort of " biking" is involved in the DayTripper's tour? My wife is not in the greatest shape and despite that I own a bike shop, it's not really her thing. But if the biking is reasonably level and means you don't have to walk as far, it could work out nicely.

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You've got to experience the Camps Bay nightlife scene while there also.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Cool

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
What sort of " biking" is involved in the DayTripper's tour? My wife is not in the greatest shape and despite that I own a bike shop, it's not really her thing. But if the biking is reasonably level and means you don't have to walk as far, it could work out nicely.

Thanks!
The bike ride part is about 6k flat to down hill. And anyone who wants can stop and get in the van anytime.

I had a nice day with DayTrippers last month, great guide, pickup/drop off at the hotel made it all easy.

You're gonna have a blast - it's a beautiful city/country.
The hike is about 3km from Good Hope to Cape Point. Beautiful vistas. Again, they'll let people ride in the van between the two.

http://capepoint.co.za/best-short-wa...nd-cape-point/
(To summarize for others.)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP Gold 75k, Etihad Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
I am in Cape Town right now and have been surprised at the number of restaurants that are closed on Sunday.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH FTL, QR Silver, Hilton Diamond
Try Stellenbosch area for fantastic wine yards with wine tastings i.e. Webersburg, Glenelly and hundreds of others..
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Just got back...

We had a very good time, three nights, in Cape Town. Maybe one more day would have been better, but we got in a Cape of Good Hope tour with Penguin visit (much too short a Penguin visit), Table Mountain Sunset (highly recommended and half price after 6pm!), Robben Island tour, many nice dinners on the Waterfront (very reasonably-priced due to the strength of the dollar), and only did the hop-on hop-off bus at the very end, when we had an afternoon to kill after a cancelled flight earlier in the day.

What we should have done was the hop-on hop-off earlier in the stay. Didn't realize you could transfer freely between the various lines; that would be a great way to hit up not just the local sights but the wineries as well. The basic Red line also takes you up to Cable Mountain.

I cannot emphasize enough how friendly people were. My initial reaction was cynical; that it was an act, for tourists. No, I think people actually are that friendly, especially in the service/tourist industry.

Cape Town at the wharf does feel a bit fake though. Like San Francisco's Pier 39 but on steroids. Not really a bad way to finish the trip, but it's really not South Africa but rather a safe tourist enclave that's no more adventurous than an English-speaking country in Europe.

We stayed at the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront Hotel. Not a very risky choice, but very very nice place. About $250/night, and you're right there in the middle of all the shops and restaurants.

We went to a number of crafts markets but found the Watershed, very close by, to be the best for us. No real haggling over prices, nobody following you around. Again, it's not really South Africa but rather a controlled environment to make tourists feel at home and safe.

It's a world apart from Johannesburg and all its barbed wire and electrical fencing, but knowing how bad the economic segregation in the country is, it feels just a tad bit fake and I oddly feel a bit guilty while there. Go figure.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:32 pm

You'll hopefully be a tad more adventurous the next time you go.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Glad you had a good time, Mike. I really loved the cape, took a tour on the Garden Route, which was fantastic as well. As you mentioned, just really nice people everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.