Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Companion Ticket

First time Concierge looking to use the Companion ticket for a US trip next year for Mrs D. I have a conference in Dallas and she will join me at the weekend for a two week holiday in the US. Can I use the companion ticket for her outbound flight if I am not travelling with her ? We will return together from LAX.

Anyone have luck upgrading Companion tickets with the 4 free upgrades ?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Pick up the phone and call the magic number and ask, simple as that

Normally they are very flexible upgrade companion to biz should be possible but by definition the companion has to be on the same flight as you
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:22 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I have combined the companion ticket with the 4 upgrade vouchers. Next Aug I booked a saver fare for me to IAD and then used the companion ticket for my wife. Then used the 4 upgrades to stick us at the pointy end there and back. The staff on the magic Concierge number couldn’t have been more helpful. The only sting in the tail was the taxes and charges on the companion ticket. On my saver fare these amounted to €100 approx. On my wife’s companion ticket these were €350 approx. A complete rip off if you ask me but nothing that the Concierge staff can do anything about.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Danash
First time Concierge looking to use the Companion ticket for a US trip next year for Mrs D. I have a conference in Dallas and she will join me at the weekend for a two week holiday in the US. Can I use the companion ticket for her outbound flight if I am not travelling with her ? We will return together from LAX.

Anyone have luck upgrading Companion tickets with the 4 free upgrades ?
The companion ticket does need to be same itin (route, date and class) as the paid ticket so unlikely she would be able to follow at a later date unfortunately.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Life, EI Concierge, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dambus
The companion ticket does need to be same itin (route, date and class) as the paid ticket so unlikely she would be able to follow at a later date unfortunately.
Back in GC days - I annually did the Companion + 4 U/G and it was never a problem for the other half to travel on one of the legs solo - as long as the route was the same and at least one leg together - Good Luck and pls report back.
Danash likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by keatm1
Back in GC days - I annually did the Companion + 4 U/G and it was never a problem for the other half to travel on one of the legs solo - as long as the route was the same and at least one leg together - Good Luck and pls report back.
Interesting, I did ask for this once (about 4 years ago) and was told it was not possible on the outbound leg but they could sort things out on the inbound. Great if they are more flexible!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by trustno1
I have combined the companion ticket with the 4 upgrade vouchers. Next Aug I booked a saver fare for me to IAD and then used the companion ticket for my wife. Then used the 4 upgrades to stick us at the pointy end there and back. The staff on the magic Concierge number couldn’t have been more helpful. The only sting in the tail was the taxes and charges on the companion ticket. On my saver fare these amounted to €100 approx. On my wife’s companion ticket these were €350 approx. A complete rip off if you ask me but nothing that the Concierge staff can do anything about.
Very interesting. I emailed them about this a few weeks ago and was told this:
"You may book your companion ticket based on the original economy ticket that you have purchased. Unfortunately it would not be possible to avail of your complimentary upgrades on your companion ticket as per the terms and conditions it is not possible to avail of these rewards in conjunction with your companion ticket"
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Rules are rules but occasionally, as in all things, certain staff members/agents may have a certain degree of discretion, or even a propensity, to go a little further than is required. People may even have had rules bent for them without the passenger realising that this was the case.

Not advocating that everyone rings up, tries to sweet-talk an agent or cajole them into bending the rules - but some of the posters here probably have a track record with the airline and may be familiar to the staff working in GC (as it was; no idea how Aer Club is handled, whether any of the old staff are still there, or whether it's all handled now by faceless "Avios" people).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:23 am

Wink

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not advocating that everyone rings up, tries to sweet-talk an agent or cajole them into bending the rules.
I'm afraid you just have ;-)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:55 am

Apologies if this is a bit complicated.

I have one one concierge account with the companion ticket still available. On a second account and will be concierge in about 6 weeks.

So my plan was to buy 2 tickets to MCO and use the companion ticket on my first account.

Then use the platinum upgrade on second account and once I’m concierge use the 4 additional one.

am I going to run into issues using 2 accounts to upgrade?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by joe316

I have one one concierge account with the companion ticket still available. On a second account and will be concierge in about 6 weeks.

So my plan was to buy 2 tickets to MCO and use the companion ticket on my first account.

Then use the platinum upgrade on second account and once I’m concierge use the 4 additional one.

They may well want to know why you have two accounts. Most programs don't allow more than one account per person. So you could well run into a problem if you're trying to use two separate accounts to upgrade the one flight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by joe316

Well, given that you are in violation of the terms and conditions of AerClub (multiple memberships), then it might be a risky move. But then again, they are such a shambles they probably would not notice.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AerClub
T&Cs say :

Companion ticket

• Receive one return companion ticket to bring a companion with you on your journey. First book your Aer Lingus ticketed and operated flights. Then request your companion ticket by emailing your flight details or calling the number on the back of your Concierge card.
    Subject to availability, the companion ticket will be issued in the same fare class as the fare paid for by the Concierge member. For example, if the Concierge member buys a business class ticket, the companion will be booked in business class. This is a discounted fare so taxes, fees and charges apply and cannot be used in conjunction with other AerClub benefits eg complimentary upgrades.
Is the last part rigorously applied, or can you upgrade companion ticket ?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:20 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I had upgraded companion tickets in the past but it all changed in Oct 2018. They wouldn’t allow me to do it even though I had used an upgraded companion ticket in Aug 2018. The other thing that got my goat was that in the past I could enquire about a particular flight and ask if upgrades were available. Therefore you knew when you were booking that you would get your biz seat. Last time I tried this I was told to book the Econ seats and then they would check if upgrades were available. If they weren’t I was promised a refund. What a pile of poo. EI are treating Conc pax badly and I’m thinking of mixing my flights this year between LH, FR and EI whereas in the past I was solely Aer Lingus. Believe it when I tell you that EI have increased their prices on the FRA route. Last summer I paid an average of €142 per return flight. This summer it is working out at nearer €200. Aer Lingus are more expensive than LH. Low cost carrier my whole.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:45 pm

Got the answer - you can’t now get a free upgrade on a free ticket. Decided to pay for 2 economy tix & use the 4 upgrades against these.

Bought a separate ticket to US & got companion ticket against this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.