Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus - Claiming EC 261 2004 - international litigation, small claims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus - Claiming EC 261 2004 - international litigation, small claims

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This seems to be the most likely scenario to me. There are quite a few confusing elements to OP's story that don't add up. Seems like they are not regular travellers, compounded by unfamiliar airport, perhaps language confusion (lost in translation?), if the lines were taking that long not speaking up is very puzzling to me. OP says arrived at 0630 for 1010 flight, which is way early. Goes to check-in (TK uses area/desk 10 - EI uses 7) and is told to come back two hours before flight. So potential advantage of early arrival morphs into disadvantage.
We are not regular travelers so we're not accustomed to all the different options we have in regards to asking for additional help / priority security access etc. But reading the signs / finding direction was pretty straightforward.

It was unfortunate that our early arrival did nothing for us. Fyi that day Turkish Air and Aer Lingus were using section 5 for check-ins at Brussels Airport.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Even though some of the details here seem to be a bit vague, it's difficult to see a successful Aer Lingus payout under EU261 here. The delay in getting to the gate seems to have either been caused by the OP, or by security and/or immigration
We thought that the entity that was making it so that check-ins are only allowed 2 hours prior to check-ins of international flights was the chief cause, since the little things adding up to 2.5 hours wouldn't have mattered. We thought that Aer Lingus was responsible for that, and thus responsible for our delay.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by vvaldellon
We figured if we arrived early enough, no matter what size the lines were, we would be okay. And that was the case when we departed from LAX, our airline was Jetblue and they checked us in right away when we arrived 3.5 hours prior.

Check ins opening only 2 hours prior is a standard in Brussels? What about international travellers? This is why we were surprised. Airline check-ins opening so late pushes the entire schedule back...

Yes, exactly.
Care to tell us your exact routing for whole trip and who you bought the ticket from? Who issued the ticket for your whole trip You flew EI on BRU/DUB/LAX on the return, but what about the outbound??
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
We figured if we arrived early enough, no matter what size the lines were, we would be okay. And that was the case when we departed from LAX, our airline was Jetblue and they checked us in right away when we arrived 3.5 hours prior.

Check ins opening only 2 hours prior is a standard in Brussels? What about international travellers? This is why we were surprised. Airline check-ins opening so late pushes the entire schedule back...
AS per the Brussels Airport website, all check-in desks would be open between 4 and, at the very latest, 2 hours prior to departure. In practice, though, I would expect them to open closer to 3 hours than to 2.

Originally Posted by eireman
Care to tell us your exact routing for whole trip and who you bought the ticket from? Who issued the ticket for your whole trip You flew EI on BRU/DUB/LAX on the return, but what about the outbound??
It doesn't matter who the ticket was bought from (though we already know it was Expedia) and it doesn't matter either what the outbound routing was.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eireman
What does it matter??
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

We returned to the check-in line at 7:45am and I recall looking at my watch around 8:50-9:00am (unsure) as we finally checked our bags in. Note departure was 10:10am and boarding was 9:40am. We cleared the security line at around 9:25am (unsure). Everyone here has been saying there are no customs, so it must be my mistake in terminology but I am referring to the line where you must show your passport (apparently called passport control). We did not finally clear this final line until 10:15 (past departure). I remember looking at my watch as we neared clearing the line. We arrived at the gate at 10:25ish where I checked my watch again.
I have been playing this scenario over in my head (I travel through BRU a fair bit). I cannot see how it takes 2.5 hours (!) from early check-in through to clearing Schengen passport control. Maybe it was a crazy day but even then you could and should have pressed an official to help you. I'm sorry, but I get the impression there is a piece missing to this story.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am also flummoxed by the story. I can't imagine there is even enough room between security and the passport check to contain a line of people sufficiently long/voluminous that it took almost an hour to process these pax.

The line was extremely long. Think of a line at an amusement park, except with people cutting in line every few minutes. With security not doing anything.

Unless the 3 pax remained at the end of the queue and new arrivals just streamed continually past them...

The OP should have shown their boarding passes - particularly the boarding time! - to the personnel and/or cut the line themselves...I've had panicky people come and cut the line in front of me on numerous occasion at Schiphol this summer and I always let them through.

(I certainly hope that the OP did not have the idea that missing the flight might lead to rebooking on a direct route and/or compensation and that hanging back might be a worthwhile strategy...a little knowledge about EU261/2004 is a dangerous thing!!!)

To the OP: what date did this happen?

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 25, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
AS per the Brussels Airport website, all check-in desks would be open between 4 and, at the very latest, 2 hours prior to departure. In practice, though, I would expect them to open closer to 3 hours than to 2.
As did we..

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I am also flummoxed by the story. I can't imagine there is even enough room between security and the passport check to contain a line of people sufficiently long/voluminous that it took almost an hour to process these pax. Hmm I really wish I took a picture now. Most of the time the line doesn't fill up all the little zig-zags that they make with the belt barriers. In fact when we returned on the next day, we don't recall very much of a line. But the day before the entire maze they made was in use and in fact they extended the belts toward the security check area.

Unless the 3 pax remained at the end of the queue and new arrivals just streamed continually past them... I'll try and post a sample pic in a following post so I don't risk losing my reply here

The OP should have shown their boarding passes - particularly the boarding time! - to the personnel and/or cut the line themselves...I've had panicky people come and cut the line in front of me on numerous occasion at Schiphol this summer and I always let them through. In hindsight we should have aggressively cut but as mentioned, the security already dismissed us with "everyone else is in a hurry / about to miss their flight as well", we also didn't want to risk causing a commotion / getting pulled over and forced to the back

(I certainly hope that the OP did not have the idea that missing the flight might lead to rebooking on a direct route and/or compensation and that hanging back might be a worthwhile strategy...a little knowledge about EU261/2004 is a dangerous thing!!!) No, we had no such plan. I only found about EU 261 / 2004 after trying to claim reimbursement on the Aer Lingus website as they had been so obstinate to work with us over the phone. There was a drop-down as to reasons for complaint

To the OP: what date did this happen?
I mentioned it somewhere earlier, but the date the flight was missed was Sun, Jun 25 - the weekend following the Brussels bombing.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Passport control looked like this on Monday, the day after. See all the belts going further back? That was all filled up on Sunday, but worse. See the distance between the 2 pillars? Well the line was zig-zagged until behind a 3rd pillar, where it became a straight line up until the security area.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Passport control looked like this on Monday, the day after. See all the belts going further back? That was all filled up on Sunday, but worse. See the distance between the 2 pillars? Well the line was zig-zagged until behind a 3rd pillar, where it became a straight line up until the security area.
Well thats not Brussels
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have been playing this scenario over in my head (I travel through BRU a fair bit). I cannot see how it takes 2.5 hours (!) from early check-in through to clearing Schengen passport control. Maybe it was a crazy day but even then you could and should have pressed an official to help you. I'm sorry, but I get the impression there is a piece missing to this story.
I mean, I guess the missing piece was that we didn't outright threaten security with litigation if we missed our flight because of the lines and the fact that they wouldn't let us through. We just got back from a fun trip and weren't expecting to have to become so cutthroat so suddenly.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Well thats not Brussels
I know that. I looked on google for a little bit but cannot find pictures of Brussels passport control, at least not one of the line that where I can make a visual explanation. I just wanted to provide an example image.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended

Well, the fact that this was shortly after the bombing may explain the additional security and slow moving lines. I think the only way to make progress here is with your travel insurance. You won't get anywhere with airlines, EC261, or Brussels airport (at this stage).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, the fact that this was shortly after the bombing may explain the additional security and slow moving lines. I think the only way to make progress here is with your travel insurance. You won't get anywhere with airlines, EC261, or Brussels airport (at this stage).
Isn't it all the more reason to adequately staff in anticipation of longer queues due to extended checks following an incident such as that during a weekend of a peak season?

We are just frustrated that all the other parties pointed fingers at each other until we were the ones who ended up having to shoulder the costs just to return home, when our actions as passengers should have been well within the bounds of a vanilla passenger. We thought at the very least, our tickets would have been re-routed for free just to go home but we were forced us to buy those as well.

My thought process was either the airline or the airport should reimburse us, but we aren't sure of the steps to take. Only 2 of us have travel insurance, the time limit may have expired (not sure) for one given that we were considering going the small claims route.

Update: One of the travel insurance agencies mentioned that this type of situation is not covered in the policy.

Last edited by vvaldellon; Jul 25, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I recall looking at my watch around 8:50-9:00am (unsure) as we finally checked our bags in. Note departure was 10:10am and boarding was 9:40am. We cleared the security line at around 9:25am (unsure).
It took you more than 30 minutes to clear security. I don't believe that.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's London Gatwick, and I have stood in lines longer than that there and in Heathrow many times, but never came close to an hour to get into the country!

When queues take an hour or more, it tends to make the news. Here's the most recent news from Heathrow about hour+ queues to enter. When the queue is that long, you can't even see the taped-off queueing area directly in front of immigration though...

Only once have I ever stood in line for an hour, at SYD, after our flight came in directly after 4 or 5 other planes and the line for immigration was way out past the duty free. That took an hour, but there were probably 1,000 people ahead of me, and they were being processed to enter the country, not leaving as was the case in your experience in Brussels

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 26, 2017 at 7:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.