Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding on upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Question Bidding on upgrade

I am new to this forum. I will be traveling ORD to DUB on Ei the third week in March with one of my adult children. I can bid to upgrade to business, but have no idea what to bid. The flight is currently approximately 40% booked. Expert Flyer shows 8 of the 23 business class seats taken. With bids starting at $530, what bid would give me a decent chance without going crazy high?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:11 pm

March is off peak I would not bid much more then start offer
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by Beleir
March is off peak I would not bid much more then start offer
Patrick’s weekend is the third weekend in March…….
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by JoMac88
I am new to this forum. I will be traveling ORD to DUB on Ei the third week in March with one of my adult children. I can bid to upgrade to business, but have no idea what to bid. The flight is currently approximately 40% booked. Expert Flyer shows 8 of the 23 business class seats taken. With bids starting at $530, what bid would give me a decent chance without going crazy high?
Have look to see what the cost of purchasing a direct upgrade is on your booking, you might get lucky with the price. Other than that I would go a little higher than the minimum nut probably not more than 50 if as I assume you are not looking to spend too much.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:25 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by alserire
Patrick’s weekend is the third weekend in March…….
Haha oops... outed myself as not Irish
alserire likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm going the week of the 20th and returning before Good Friday so as to avoid any holiday or celebration time.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje
Have look to see what the cost of purchasing a direct upgrade is on your booking, .......
How do I do this???
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:14 pm

How do I do this???
To be honest its been such a long time since I tried it I can't remember exactly but you should be able to find it in your "manage my booking" on the aer lingus website. Maybe its under change my booking.....maybe someone else can chime in here with an open TATL booking in economy and check where the cash upgrade option is (if available).
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:25 pm

I know someone who bid €650 for an upgrade to Florida next week and it got accepted. Was surprised. Bidding €50 over the minimum sounds a good way to go .
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
The mins have gone up I think, I remember them being ~$370 IAD-DUB and vice versa, no they're starting at $510.

Though it could be dynamic?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
How do I do this???
If you access the reservation via the website (not the app), there is generally a few links underneath the flight information.

Change your flights
Upgrade to Business Class
Bid to Upgrade your Flight
Want to cancel your flight?…

The second link is the fare difference (immediate update), the third link is the bid option. Change your Flights link should also work to display the fare difference.

It was slightly more than I wanted, but saw a fare difference on an upcoming trip (JFK) of €635 one way so took the guaranteed upgrade vs chancing it with a potential bid upgrade.
mccartje and DELLAS like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
If you access the reservation via the website (not the app), there is generally a few links underneath the flight information.

Change your flights
Upgrade to Business Class
Bid to Upgrade your Flight
Want to cancel your flight?…

The second link is the fare difference (immediate update), the third link is the bid option. Change your Flights link should also work to display the fare difference.

It was slightly more than I wanted, but saw a fare difference on an upcoming trip (JFK) of €635 one way so took the guaranteed upgrade vs chancing it with a potential bid upgrade.

That worked quite well. Thank You!

To upgrade going to Dublin is an additional $3920 To upgrade coming home is an additional $582. I think I'll stick with a lottery. But thank you again for showing how to check.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Looking at extra flyer from ORD to Dublin on the 24th of April the cabin is over half empty yet when I click bid to upgrade and get a message saying sorry we're not offering this option. Does anyone have experience that the option is made available closer to travel?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:26 am

I'm aware of couple of IT companies that have sales kickoff in the USA including my company. A lot of us used upgrade vouchers, you might see the cabin as half empty but not sure if it is. My flight is from SFO back to Dublin but for there's people flying over ORD as well. My only advice is Avios might be an option.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Expert flyer is not an accurate measure of EI inventory nor is the number of seats visible for selection in the seat map

Revenue team probably expect to fill the cabin from revenue so no need to enable bid to upgrade.
Beleir, irishguy28 and nismo240ssx like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.