Wiki Posts
Search

New Lounge At Heraklion?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Question New Lounge At Heraklion?

I was just booking a little island escape on SkyExpress, and saw this curious news on their website.

CIP LOUNGE. Now available also at Heraklion airport

In a totally new and comfortable place, which is created with exceptional taste for the Sky Express passengers that depart from Heraklion, can now relax and have a waiting time with coffee or light refreshment before the embarkation to the flight, in our CIP Lounge.

We are waiting to welcome you on board our flights as well as in our brand new CIP Lounge at Heraklion airport

Book now your next flight with Sky Express.
Now I know that Sky Express is a curious little airline and they already offer lounge access to all pax at ATH and SKG. But this got me intrigued as AFAIK there never was a lounge at HER to the complaints of many?

Maybe our esteemed Cretan καΐκι captain KLouis knows more about this? Is it just a broom cabinet with a coffee machine in it? Something actually decent? Does this mean that the lounge might be soon offered to A3 passengers as well?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
I was just booking a little island escape on SkyExpress, and saw this curious news on their website.
Is it just a broom cabinet with a coffee machine in it? Something actually decent?
From what I've seen and heard of HER, a broom cabinet with a coffee machine would be pure luxury!

Good on Sky Express I say - trying to make the effort to establish themselves as being a little different and 'better'. And if it forces A3 to follow suit then that's a bonus for us too.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:47 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
It actually might be a THY lounge :troll:
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Any additional facility at HER would be rather welcome. Yes, even a broom cupboard with a coffee machine

The off-season baggage belt departure hall, anyone? (Anyone who has been there recently during off-season will know exactly what I mean.)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I was in HER mid of July, and wondered already when I saw signs with "Lounge" written on them. Since I had some time, I followed them (up the stairs, around some corners) and... stood in front of a lounge that was currently put together: I saw a bar close to the entrance, cables hanging around, ladders standing here and there - all behind the glass entry doors.
So it seems something was happening. However, not sure whether it was for a specific airline or a general lounge.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I was in HER mid of July, and wondered already when I saw signs with "Lounge" written on them. Since I had some time, I followed them (up the stairs, around some corners) and... stood in front of a lounge that was currently put together: I saw a bar close to the entrance, cables hanging around, ladders standing here and there - all behind the glass entry doors.
So it seems something was happening. However, not sure whether it was for a specific airline or a general lounge.
That sounds already more promising than the broom cupboard we all joked about

Perhaps we are in for a pleasant surprise here! As the great bulk of all airlines flying into HER are charter flights, a joint lounge for carriers such as Sky Express, Aegean and perhaps one or two more airlines that fly into HER like Cobalt would make sense as you wouldn't need a huge amount of space.
LTN Phobia and Yreal like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
I know that ellinair (has russia-greece as it's main market) does have a lounge there
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Perhaps we are in for a pleasant surprise here! As the great bulk of all airlines flying into HER are charter flights, a joint lounge for carriers such as Sky Express, Aegean and perhaps one or two more airlines that fly into HER like Cobalt would make sense as you wouldn't need a huge amount of space.
It would be nice if BA arranged for access to this new lounge.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:12 pm

Sorry for being... late but I had a lot to do!
  • I've never flown Sky Express as it's much more expensive than A3: no experience there.
  • I also tried to follow the big signs to the lounge: I ended up behind locked doors.
  • Given that a lot of people in Crete are A3 Golds, I guess that an A3 lounge at HER would look like Omonoia square around noon. Thus, very few chances that we'll see one soon.
For those who don't know what Omonoia square in Athens looks like at noon, substitute that with the most crowded place of your home town
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Any additional facility at HER would be rather welcome. Yes, even a broom cupboard with a coffee machine

The off-season baggage belt departure hall, anyone? (Anyone who has been there recently during off-season will know exactly what I mean.)
Well, the off-season will start in about one-two months from now, but I must say that I simply love HER during the winter: always empty, quiet, fast, efficient and very friendly employees from December to March.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
I must say that I simply love HER during the winter: always empty, quiet, fast, efficient and very friendly employees from December to March.
I totally agree. So much nicer during off-season without a huge hoard of punters everywhere (counting myself as one of the punters, of course!).

It's just that the previous off-season involved using the baggage hall as departure hall much to my amusement... They did move lots of seats into there though.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:04 am

Yes, it must have been during the construction of the "new" departure area. The airport does indeed look like a European airport walking through the counters selling a variety of perfumes. Yakh...
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

I guess I will see what it's like when I'm there in November. I am imagining it like they've Skegnessed it (Skegness being a nickname for Thessaloniki due to it being SKG, and you have that little walk through the duty free shop).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Any news on this? Was any lounge opened there?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:37 am

There is indeed a Swissport (?) lounge open during the tourist season and contracted by some airlines, but nothing for A3/OA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.