Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 and ANA mileage accrual rates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Only the FFP (A3 in this case), not partners, decide the accrual rates.
There is some alliance-wide negotiation about rates among members, but the decision has nothing to do with partners.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Are you sure about this? I'm thinking of LH P fares which though business class fares earn nothing on A3 or TK flights but do on say SK. Equally LH only credit M&M customers 25% when they fly on TK.

I thought mileage was paid for by the operating carrier at the rate they determine otherwise how do you explain the great disparity in earnings between different airlines?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Are you sure about this? I'm thinking of LH P fares which though business class fares earn nothing on A3 or TK flights but do on say SK. Equally LH only credit M&M customers 25% when they fly on TK.
A3/TK, not LH, decide if LH P fares earn anything within their respective FFPs. They each decided that LH P fares earn nothing.
Simple as that.
See A3 earning chart here, and TK earning chart here.
You could try to petition/beg/sue A3 or TK to change their earning charts, but dont expect LH to help you fight that fight!

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I thought mileage was paid for by the operating carrier at the rate they determine otherwise how do you explain the great disparity in earnings between different airlines?
Each airline has its own strategy/business plan with their FFPs. They dont all think the same!
Some chose to reward passengers more if they stick with their airline while "punishing" passengers flying on *A partners.

Aegean M&B is structured to cater more for its local Greek market, and seems to follow this strategy of promoting flights on its own metal (including flights on OA).
I conclude that this is why it has low earning rates on most of its neighboring *A partners in Europe. As for distant *A partners in Asian & Africa, there is little incentive to "punish" passenger with poor earning rates, so we see some generous earning rates (300% on F class and 200% in C class on AirIndia/Thai/ANA/SouthAfrican is a killer earning rate, *Gold in one trip)
Exceptions are the relatively poor rates on United/Singapore/Eva.

Others airline FFPs award generously across the board, especially for premium cabins (BA, Alaska, Emirates, Qatar).

Others have now introduced a cash requirement component ( EQDs, = elite qualifying dollars) that pegs the miles earned to the amount paid for the ticket, not number of miles flown. You wont earn miles quickly by just flying.

Others use miles as a cash-cow and sell miles generously (Alaska, Lifemiles, American etc.).

Others use miles as a "honey trap" to lure passengers to fly award tickets on their flights by allowing miles-points conversions from all point sources (Singapore Airlines....)

Others have realized that all their main routes are long-haul, so they have set poor accrual rates across the board (JAL, ANA, Asiana, Korean, Qantas, Air Newzealand).

The miles/points game is not fair, and will always be skewed against the passengers. Just study the strengths and weaknesses, and play the game skillfully. Avoid LH P class fares if you really need to earn A3 miles.
Any more questions?
yauee and cheung.chunyuenc like this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Jan 31, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by ErnstH
I put a bid for my flight (beginning of Feb), if the upgrade goes through I will report back on what happened to my booking class (for now I am in L class => 50% accrual rate).
Well, my bid got accepted and my new e-ticket shows booking class E: premium economy! So it looks as if I am all set to earn 150% miles.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:50 am

Well, my bid got accepted and my new e-ticket shows booking class E: premium economy! So it looks as if I am all set to earn 150% miles.
interesting. Please report back once the miles post.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite

interesting. Please report back once the miles post.
​​​​​​ Will do, hopefully within the week (my flight is on Sunday).
headingwest likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
A3/TK, not LH, decide if LH P fares earn anything within their respective FFPs. They each decided that LH P fares earn nothing.
Simple as that.
See A3 earning chart here, and TK earning chart here.
You could try to petition/beg/sue A3 or TK to change their earning charts, but dont expect LH to help you fight that fight!
*A airlines negotiate with each other what one airline gets in compensation for the miles credited for travel on another airline. There seems to be a regular (yearly?) meeting to negotiate the compensation which LH's CEO Carsten Sphor jokingly described as "speed dating" at an event.

I think it's fair to assume that the amount of money they get is an important factor for A3 when determining how much a given fare class earns for travel on a *A partner airline.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Simple as that.
No, within the *A it is and always has been the operating carrier which decides what to award to which programme in each class.

Over time this has become more and more complicated as they have attempted to reduce earnings across the board and one of the worst has been Lufthansa over the last fifteen years or so. They introduced P fares specifically to reduce the earnings possiblities of short haul travelers who they are not so interested in and to protect their own programme from the keener programmes operated by A3 and TK.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:58 am

​​​​​​ Will do, hopefully within the week (my flight is on Sunday).
The flights just credited to my account, with mileage accrual corresponding to the original booking class. I sent them an e-mail though stating that I actually flew in booking class E, so let's see what happens..
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
A3/TK, not LH, decide if LH P fares earn anything within their respective FFPs.
Yes and no. The operating carrier decides how much they will pay for each fare. The FFP then decides how many miles that is worth.

Sure A3 can decide to offer 100% mileage credit for LH P flights. But if they receive (almost) nothing from LH in return, that would just cost them a whole lot of miles/money.

So in practice the number of miles earned for a fare reflects the amount paid (by the operating carrier to the FFP).

The flights just credited to my account, with mileage accrual corresponding to the original booking class. I sent them an e-mail though stating that I actually flew in booking class E, so let's see what happens..
Make sure to include the new e-ticket number. When they retrieve the booking based on the eticket number they should be able to see the new fare class.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:44 am

no surprises there.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by bensim
Can anyone clarify whether A3 or the partner airline made the decision to change the accrual rates?
Contact A3 and NH with your question! How should WE know that?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:44 am

no surprises there.
Why? When I upgraded my SK flights (also through Plusgrade), I did receive mileage according to the new booking class.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:50 pm

Why? When I upgraded my SK flights (also through Plusgrade), I did receive mileage according to the new booking class.
it’s the way ANA processes upgrades. You get a new ticket but earn on the former economy class ticket. If they do that for crediting to their own FFP, it’s expected for other *A partner crediting as well.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:12 am

it’s the way ANA processes upgrades. You get a new ticket but earn on the former economy class ticket. If they do that for crediting to their own FFP, it’s expected for other *A partner crediting as well.
That's too bad then. In any case, Aegean forwarded my question to ANA, so I should receive an answer from them soon enough.
Tokyoite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.