Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

*A Codeshares: whose what earns what in M&B? (The mysteries of fare mapping)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

basic question, does Aegean work like other Star members when it comes to Codeshares. Basically do they count the Operating metal vs. the Marketed Metal. If so, there are some easy ways to get *G for 800 bucks from LAX using US codeshares on UA metal. if any only if "US A class codeshare = UA A Class metal" and they credit the metal.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:23 am

I bought on S class fare on a flight DEN-YYZ-CDG. I booked through UA, but it's on AC's metal.

I'm going for *G through Aegean.

Aegean offers 100% miles on S class fare on AC flights, but only 50% miles on S class fare on UA. Which will I get?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In Star Alliance, mileage earning is based on the fare class on the operator of the flight. Also, just because it's showing a UA S fare doesn't tell you anything about what the AC fare class is. You will have to find out the AC fare class and look it up on the Aegean site to see what it will earn.

So, if the UA S fare maps to any of KNGPTE on CA, you're out of luck (0% for DEN-YYZ and 50% for YYZ-CDG).
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The one data point I have seen says UA S maps to AC L. No guarantees as codeshare mappings can be market specific but you have a decent chance that it will be an AC L fare.

If that's the case you get 100% credit, or just over 5000 miles total for the trip.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:43 am

Thanks I appreciate it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
Another Aegean M&B Question (miles earned on codeshare flights)

This one concerns booking codes on codeshare flights...

I am looking at CDG-FRA-JNB return on LH/SA. Booking class for all legs is S.

However, the SA flights are booked as LH codeshare (i.e. LH 7350 operated by SAA).

Now where it gets interesting is according to our trusty A3 accrual table, S class earns only 50% on LH flights but 150% on SA. So my question is would the long haul flights on SA metal be logged by M&B as LH or SA flights?

The difference in miles is over 10,000 depending on how this registers with M&B.

Thanks in advance.

*I do realize there was a similar question recently regarding AC-UA codeshare. Perhaps someone can shed similar insight.

Last edited by DLinYUL; Jan 28, 2011 at 5:01 am
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Code shares on crediting to aegean?

Im looking at booking a S fare on aircanada but the return portion is on LH metal yet booked as a aircanada flight, will they credit the flight the same all the way as AC S class or the LH based on LH even though its a AC ticket?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
Im looking at booking a S fare on aircanada but the return portion is on LH metal yet booked as a aircanada flight, will they credit the flight the same all the way as AC S class or the LH based on LH even though its a AC ticket?
Mileage accrual depends on the booking class the AC ticket maps into on LH (operating carrier). In simpler words, LH based.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
That actually is not very logical if i am buying a air canada flight shouldnt my miles accrue according to them not lh.... Makes things not so great as lh credits only 50% on s and ac 100%
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by kauppias
That actually is not very logical if i am buying a air canada flight shouldnt my miles accrue according to them not lh.... Makes things not so great as lh credits only 50% on s and ac 100%
Welcome to Star alliance where the metal rule is king.
It is truly a pain as many times you will not know how much a codeshare earns until it posts.

Have a look at this thread

GBM
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC *G, A3 *G
AC Codeshare with UA - Aegean Earning Question

Hi

AC codeshare flight in W class operated by United airline from NRT - BKK would this flight earn 100% or 50%.

As per Aegean :

AC flight in W class would earn 100%
UA flight in W class would earn 50%

Also I think that an AC W class may map into a UA L class which earns 50% on Aegean.

Just double checking is it the carrier that does the flight fare class rather than the fare class from AC.

Cheers
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by thai1
Just double checking is it the carrier that does the flight fare class rather than the fare class from AC.
Miles will always be credited according the booking class on the operating carrier.
You can check with UA, in which booking class AC RBD W will be mapped...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
Should be booked into AC W. Had this same issue on a YUL-LHR flight booked as an LH codeshare in L class but operated by AC. When the miles posted to my A3 account it indicated the AC flight number and L booking class earning 100% (as opposed to 0 on LH).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
the only option is to check...

go to United's website and try it - it should allow you to view the booking using your credit card number, and it displays the fare class on the "view my bookings" screen..
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Late to this thread, but I thought I might help.

AFAIK, AC W maps to UA W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.