Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Seriously considering staying here over Christmas. I am quite familiar with the area but have never been to this Fairmont. Strange that some Fairmont rooms are 250 sq. ft and other 400, for the same rate. The hotel looks very nice on the web site and well, it is a Fairmont so I would expect the service to be top notch. Any comments appreciated.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, both when it was a Sheraton property and since Fairmont took over. I am a big Fairmont fan, but to be brutally honest, this is one of the worst Fairmonts in terms of room comfort. UNLESS you get one of the larger suites or bungalows. The "normal" rooms are really small, although most do have some sort of ocean view and a small lanai. On the other hand, the 10th floor 2 bedroom suite we had (paid, not an upgrade!) on the last visit easily accomodated 2 adults and 4 kids in comfort.

What's good about this hotel is the ocean view and proximity to Santa Monica restaurants, if those things are important to you. If you really want a beachfront hotel and don't mind paying $$$$, check out Shutters. I give a tremendous double thumbs-down to the Loews Santa Monica...horrible service and tiny rooms for a not-tiny price.

In sum: if you can confirm a suite at the Miramar and want to be by the ocean, go for it. If you are looking at a standard room, I'd stay elsewhere.

Personally, I have switched to the Century Plaza (Westin) for its nicer rooms, more convenient (for me) location and excellent service. Have had 4 excellent stays at the CP this year and highly recommend it.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 6:27 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I found the standard ocean-view rooms at the Fairmont Miramar Santa Monica to be totally adequate. No these rooms are not large, but they are sufficiently sized for a couple, and the view of the beach makes it all worthwhile. Last time I was there I was offered a free upgrade to a suite at check-in, but that would have required sacrificing the view to be in a larger room in the newer section of the hotel at the back, and for me the view was more important than room size.

I like the location of the Fairmont too: Within walking distance of the beach but close to the trendy shopping district and restaurants. If I remember correctly, Shutters is 'on the beach', but it's a bit too close to the amusement park for my taste, and it's a short walk away from the pedestrian shopping/dining area that I so enjoy in Santa Monica.

Edited to note: PS, I was last there in December 2002.

[This message has been edited by CanuckFlyer (edited 10-20-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2003, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a fairmont room booked in the Palisades bldg. It is about 400 sq. ft, which is pretty decent. I think the Fairmont and Deluxe rooms in the tower are only 250 sq. ft, which is very cozy. Still finalizing plans but at $167 with b-fast, this is a good deal for the location.

Thanks for the comments.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 2:36 pm

I stayed there for a week in August. Your rate is quite good. Weather permitting have lunch at the koi pond. There are fish and a family of turtles. Britney Spears ate lunch at a table next to mine. I don't think my twelve year old has yet recovered from getting an autographed picture.

One more thing - I have never seen a better assortment of magazines in a hotel room. There's a Barnes and Noble bookstore 1/2 block away!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
The Tower rooms are smaller, but all have the best view, except the ones at the very end of the building facing the ocean. With those, they do have a balcony, but you have to stand on the balcony to see the ocean. The other Tower rooms have glass on the balcony. You get a view of Santa Monica Pier on one side, which is nice because it's all lit up at night. The other side is the ocean and looking off towards Malibu.

The Palisades rooms are larger, with larger bathrooms, too. If you get one, request an upper floor.

The location is great and there's plenty to do in the area after dark, plus it's a safe area.

Edited to add: I've stayed at shutters before and their rooms are not large, either. Plus their rate for a standard room is more than the Miramar's. I totally agree about the Loew's...it's a glorified Hyatt.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited 10-23-2003).]
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:28 am

Originally posted by Nanook:
You get a view of Santa Monica Pier on one side, which is nice because it's all lit up at night.
You also usually get a great view of nighttime traffic in and out of LAX from this side, if that interests you.

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited 10-23-2003).]
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

While my whole trip report is posted in the Trip reports section I thought I would post my Santa Monica experience here as well:

Fairmont Miramar Santa Monica

Fellow FT’er Punished Edmontonian gifted a Suite upgrade certificate to me for this stay and I was pleased to be able to use it (thanks!!!). I was also able to secure an Aeroplan bed and breakfast rate of $167 USD; a very decent rate for this hotel. We arrived at the hotel about 9 am and asked if we could check in and if a suite was available. I had earlier checked with central res re: suites and they were available but was advised by the check-in that they were all booked. I told her I had just called central res, upon which time a suite magically became available – hmmm? We were advised to return in 90 minutes and upon returning were then advised to wait for an undetermined amount of time. We waited another 60 minutes and then went up to inquire of the desk. After another 10 minutes we were finally checked in. The room was very nice. It was located in the Palisades wing and was a true two room suite. There was a wet bar, nice marble bathroom, very nice furniture, nice window coverings, a selection of magazines and TWO dictionaries (huh?). Turn-down service was provided.

My expectations of Fairmont are admittedly very high. This Fairmont failed to deliver the expected level of service. The check-in experience was disappointing and we were not given the type of room that was requested. We had coffee in the evening and also received extremely inattentive service. The following morning at breakfast plates were not cleared until I went to request that they be removed. Service was also slow. The restaurant also had some diner style booth seating which I thought was odd for a restaurant at such an establishment (I cannot even imagine such seating at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge’s Edith Cavell Dining Room). I expect a much more refined service experience from Fairmont than what I expect from a Hilton or a Doubletree. The fitness centre also contained EXTREMELY dated equipment that really has no place in this standard of hotel. The treadmills for instance were quite loud and did not feature a heart rate display – now that’s old!!

Don’t get me wrong, the hotel has very nice common areas and is a pleasant place to stay in and has a great location. It does not meet the standards that I have set for this chain. No other location that I have stayed at has failed to meet the standard (Toronto, Lake Louise, Victoria, Jasper), indeed Toronto and Jasper (Jasper on multiple occasions) have gone above and beyond.

The area around the hotel is great for people watching and shopping. I also enjoy jogging in Palisades Park, across the street from the Fairmont. Another great place to go to in the Los Angeles area is the Getty Museum just off the I-405 north of LA. The museum is very well run, has a nice collection and is free! Great views from the well landscaped grounds too.

Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Originally posted by AltaFlyer:
The check-in experience was disappointing and we were not given the type of room that was requested.
What type of room did you originally request?
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We were booked in a 2 bedded Fairmont. We were upgraded to a 1 bedded suite with a sofa bed and not a 2 bedded suite and were not told until we discovered this for ourselves (at which point it was really not possible for ME to downgrade US to a regular room - if you know what I mean ). They also misled us about suites not being available upon initial inquiry. I expect these details to be non-issues at this standard of hotel.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:23 pm

Programs: National Rental - Executive
Fairmont LA property

Altaflyer,
I noticed that you mentioned the Fairmont Santa Monica not being up to expectations. Could you elaborate? I have a leisure stay there next month and have been balking at the high rates. It's impossible to get a decent rate there on any day of the week.

Should I burn a suite upgrade or save $100/night at the Beverly Hilton?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is the report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000259.html

I should perhaps add that while I did not initiate a complaint I was called by Fairmont for a guest survey after my stay and I told them where they were sub-standard in a fair amount of detail.

A day later the front desk manager contacted me and offered a discount on our stay or a free night on another occasion. Since this place is EXPENSIVE and it is in a sweet location I took the free night, which has no expiry date and for which I already have a use when I return from the South Pacific in January

Subsequent stays at Fairmonts do reinforce the substandard level of service as Lake Louise and especially Jasper outdid themselves again!

Check tripadvisor.com and you will find mixed reviews for this hotel. If you have other questions ask away!
Old Mar 23, 2004, 8:56 am

Originally posted by Fletch!:
Altaflyer,
I noticed that you mentioned the Fairmont Santa Monica not being up to expectations. Could you elaborate? I have a leisure stay there next month and have been balking at the high rates. It's impossible to get a decent rate there on any day of the week.

Should I burn a suite upgrade or save $100/night at the Beverly Hilton?
My comments on the Fairmont Santa Monica are also on the thread linked to by Altaflyer.

I'd recommend the Century Plaza (*wood) without any hesitation over either the Bev Hilton or the Fairmont. The worst room at the CP is bigger and nicer than any (non-suite) room at the Fairmont. Not to rehash the other thread but the main attraction of the Fairmont is the ocean view and proximity to Santa Monica restaurants, pier etc. if those things are important to you.

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs down Still not up to standard

This hotel still lacks in a few departments. I used my free night mentioned above and note the following:

- check in was flawless and the room was great - 6th floor Palisades Suite with Ocean view

- no Platinum amenity in room but brought when questioned - fruit assortment - decent if not spectacular.

- Fitness centre has same dumpy equipment as a year ago except that they have removed the really ancient treadmills and now have marginally less ancient ones The run to Venice Beach was nice though

- Change room looked like a bomb had gone off at 8:15am Sunday but they did clean it up when I called the front desk to ask re: locker keys (which she had no clue about )

- valet and bell service great.

I don't think they have career staff here (for the most part) and obviously do not keep close enough tabs to ensure the staff they have are functioning up to standard. I would not spend $$ to stay here as it is substandard for Fairmont.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:43 pm

We stayed here for a week in April of 2003, while doing the southern California college tour with my kids. Other than the weather (a bit chilly) -- the stay was perfect. We were upgraded to a very large 2 br suite. Service was friendly and helpful in all respects. I would definitely stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.