Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Which countries or regions has AccorHotels forgotten?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which countries or regions has AccorHotels forgotten?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 12:44 am

a lot in amsterdam
2 in eindhoven 1 pulman and no pulman /sofitel in the rest of the netherlands
kees
Old May 1, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Somnifer
Nothing in Croatia either!
there's a Rixos in DBV.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
My two cents:

- Japan: I would not like Accor to concentrate there. The local hotels are good and I, personally, prefer to stay in local chains or boutique in Japan rather than a chain. This is one of the country where I do not even checked Accor, Hilton, IHG, etc ...
- Scandinavia is a big mystery: the local chains have a stronghold there and no other chains are implemented (Hilton has 1 in Stockholm, but that is it). Specially Norway and Danemark are purely scandinavian chains. But those chains are crap, I mostly dislike the hotels in Norway due to the poor level of service and amenities compared to the premium paid. I think that due to some protectionism and the attitude of the locals (Jantelov) it is near impossible for Accor and other chains to get a good footprint there.
- South of France: agree with Goldorak. I was surprised to see Mercure as the top in Nice.
- Spain and Italy: not enough hotels in my view
- Greece is a bit special, there are not a lot of chains there in general, mostly small/boutique hotels. Athens is an exception.
Dover2Golf, remymartin and Dav77 like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Based on my travels.

Spain - Very poor outside of Barcelona. Valencia has 2 Ibis and 1 Budget Ibis only. Similar in Alicante. Madrid a little better, but that said, Spain is very well served by local chains.
Ireland - 1 Ibis in an woeful location in Dublin.
USA - Hardly a footprint at all, even with the recent acquisition.
Dav77 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:21 am

South Africa: 4 Mercure + Fairmont Zimabali (the mantis addition seems to be more lodge type)
Tunisia: 3 hotels in the country
Oman: 1 ibis in Muscat
Madagascar: 1 Ibis
Old May 1, 2019, 3:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
there's a Rixos in DBV.
And apparently a new Novotel is being built in Zagreb and should open in late 2020.

Other than everything that's already been mentioned, I wish Accor had more midscale or even budget hotels in Canada. It's mostly Fairmonts over there, which are, sadly, out of my price range.
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by while
South Africa: 4 Mercure + Fairmont Zimabali (the mantis addition seems to be more lodge type)
Welcome to FT
Indeed, South Africa is another big hole. There are some truly excellent BonVoy options with Protea, Westin, AC, etc but Accor is only present with a bunch of tired Mercures.
while likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I agree with most if not all above. Asia the most obvious is Japan and Taiwan. Philippines like Cebu is lacking outside of Manila. Would be nice to get 1 hotel even if just a mid range in Palau which is a hot tourist destination.
Some place in China still have very big holes like Chongqing a city of 30 million people has only 1 hotel in the city (Mercure maybe it opened by now) and 2 hotels far out of the city.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by fransknorge
- Greece is a bit special, there are not a lot of chains there in general, mostly small/boutique hotels. Athens is an exception.
I somewhat agree with a lot of your comments but not the one about Greece. If I am not mistaken Marriott has 16 hotels in Greece outside of Athens. Even if you remove the 4 Design Hotels where elite treatment might not be the same as full participating properties so no upgrade and no breakfast (but you earn points, night credits, and can redeem points), that's still a dozen hotels from Marriott alone. With the partnership of Hyatt with SLH now Hyatt also has a whopping 40 hotels to choose from (outside Athens) and earn / redeem points even though they are not fully participating, similar concept as Design Hotels for Marriott.

So if Marriott has 16 and Hyatt has 40 (via partnership) then Accor could certainly offer us 2 or 3!

What would be wrong about Accor having small/boutique hotels too. What's one more brand to the portfolio anyway
Dav77 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
My two cents:

- Japan: I would not like Accor to concentrate there. The local hotels are good and I, personally, prefer to stay in local chains or boutique in Japan rather than a chain. This is one of the country where I do not even checked Accor, Hilton, IHG, etc ...
I do agree and I think there are a few local chains working almost the same as Novotel or Mercure in Japan.
Japanese are loyal to their brands, so Accor would struggle to find locals to join Accor.
However I would think Accor should consider acquiring some brands in Japan or partner with them to join Accor so that we can earn points on them.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Switzerland & Iberian Peninsula & Overseas France

Switzerland
Besides some Mercure, Novotel, Ibis there is not much in Zurich, such a top Business destination there is no High End Accor property.
Similar to Geneva where there are lot's of cooperate and NGO, just one (now pretty nice) MGallery.

Iberian Peninsula
There are several Ibis and Mercure in Portugal however only one High End in Lisbon that is not even that nice.
Algarve & Porto could get something nice, or even the Islands?

Same for Spain, it use to have a Sofitel in Madrid but now nothing high end

Overseas France
New Caledonia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barth's, La Reunion, French Polynesia,
All of them miss some/additional properties. I know there are some in French Polynesia, but seeing how big they are in NZ and Australia they could get greater properties.
remymartin likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
I somewhat agree with a lot of your comments but not the one about Greece. If I am not mistaken Marriott has 16 hotels in Greece outside of Athens. Even if you remove the 4 Design Hotels where elite treatment might not be the same as full participating properties so no upgrade and no breakfast (but you earn points, night credits, and can redeem points), that's still a dozen hotels from Marriott alone. With the partnership of Hyatt with SLH now Hyatt also has a whopping 40 hotels to choose from (outside Athens) and earn / redeem points even though they are not fully participating, similar concept as Design Hotels for Marriott.

So if Marriott has 16 and Hyatt has 40 (via partnership) then Accor could certainly offer us 2 or 3!

What would be wrong about Accor having small/boutique hotels too. What's one more brand to the portfolio anyway
impressive presence in Greece by Marriott and Hyatt . I never supposed that !
Old May 2, 2019, 12:45 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Atlantico
Switzerland
Besides some Mercure, Novotel, Ibis there is not much in Zurich, such a top Business destination there is no High End Accor property.
Similar to Geneva where there are lot's of cooperate and NGO, just one (now pretty nice) MGallery.

Iberian Peninsula
There are several Ibis and Mercure in Portugal however only one High End in Lisbon that is not even that nice.
Algarve & Porto could get something nice, or even the Islands?

Same for Spain, it use to have a Sofitel in Madrid but now nothing high end

Overseas France
New Caledonia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barth's, La Reunion, French Polynesia,
All of them miss some/additional properties. I know there are some in French Polynesia, but seeing how big they are in NZ and Australia they could get greater properties.
There is a MGallery in Zurich, I stayed there three years ago. It is quite nice, a chalet atmosphere.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dav77
impressive presence in Greece by Marriott and Hyatt . I never supposed that !
Indeed. Hyatt went from having very weak presence in Europe to a very strong position due to the SLH tie-up. While I am not so interested in hotels with limited program participation (Design, SLH) in big cities because there are other choices with more generous elite perks from many hotel chains, but in small towns where there are not a lot of other options it's great to have a place to earn or redeem points. For example, Hyatt only had 2 hotels in Italy before SLH. Once the SLH is fully rolled out, another 65 properties will have joined the program, what a huge difference. Lots of those 65 are in interesting destinations where you cannot find other hotel chains, they are not all in Rome, Venice, Milan, etc. As of today, 27/65 can earn/redeem Hyatt points, more to come later this year.

Greece is a similar story: Hyatt only had 1 (Thessaloniki) and with SLH they are plentiful. Accor can do better. Mykonos and Santorini could very well host a Raffles, Fairmont, or Sofitel. ^
Old May 3, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

There is a MGallery in Zurich, I stayed there three years ago. It is quite nice, a chalet atmosphere.
No more MGallery (used to be even a SOFITEL), closed since December 18 and currently being demolished, Adagio/Ibis to replace it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.