Wiki Posts
Search

How to get value from Accor points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:48 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by patrickw
Actually I never have a problem with the website showing rates that allows points payment even when I searched from the front page of the website, although I haven't been actually using that for my last few bookings that slide bar to use points was always there if I'm choosing a rate that allows point payment.
As mentioned in my post, it's different for people who have corporate accounts and negotiated rates. If you click on your negotiated rate, the booking screen allows you to key in your GUESTS details. So you are booking on behalf of someone else.
Due to this, it doesn't allow you to use points upfront and the slider screen doesn't come up - but you use points upon checkout.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
My Accor points automatically convert to Aeroplan points. I must have done that pre Fairmont when I was staying at some Sofitels. I can't figure out how to switch it back or find a reason to do so now that I am accumulating more points from staying at Fairmont's.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
What are people's experiences with Accor's FOREX on points redemptions? I have no current plans to stay in an Accor in the Eurozone, but am thinking about using points at the LHR Sofitel. How have people fared on conversions from Euros to GBPs?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfrost
What are people's experiences with Accor's FOREX on points redemptions? I have no current plans to stay in an Accor in the Eurozone, but am thinking about using points at the LHR Sofitel. How have people fared on conversions from Euros to GBPs?
There is no FX risk after booking, as the room rate is reduced by points value to a fixed cash amount. (In other words, the conversion of the points takes places at the time of booking.)

I am wondering why you care about the EUR/GBP conversion rate. From my experience, the fee, spread, commission or whatever you want to call it Accor takes is too small to worry about.

But obviously, as long as you hold on to your points, you bear some FX risk. But the EUR is relatively stable. I think the worst depreciation we saw in its existence was like a 18% drop vis-a-vis the USD over a period of 15 months or so (during the Greek debt crisis/euro-zone crisis). And arguably, if you plan to redeem in the UK, an appreciation of your points seems more likely over the short- to medium-run than a depreciation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
In my experience, the conversion rate when redeeming points online has been fine. When using points directly at the hotel it has been a different matter.
prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
In my experience, the conversion rate when redeeming points online has been fine. When using points directly at the hotel it has been a different matter.
Thanks, that is very helpful.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Just made a flexible booking partly using points. Closer to the stay I might cancel and book a non-refundable stay with breakfast instead. Are the points refunded instantly when a reservation is cancelled so I can use them immediately for the replacing booking?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Just made a flexible booking partly using points. Closer to the stay I might cancel and book a non-refundable stay with breakfast instead. Are the points refunded instantly when a reservation is cancelled so I can use them immediately for the replacing booking?
Yes it's credited immediately.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I just booked a stay at Raffles, something I wouldn't do it especially in my home country. I guess that's what I plan to do with my points
gilbertaue and starflyergold like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:48 pm

What is left?

If you part pay using Accor points, what do you accrue as loyalty points, the whole amount on the invoice, or just the residual payment after the points offset, or nothing at all?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by kmcottrell
If you part pay using Accor points, what do you accrue as loyalty points, the whole amount on the invoice, or just the residual payment after the points offset, or nothing at all?
you will Get point accrue from the balance payment minus service charge and tax.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:43 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by kmcottrell
Also be aware that any stays that use points, either part paid or wholly paid, will not be eligible to earn bonus points on the residual balance from promos, such as the double, triple or quadruple points promos.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Also be aware that any stays that use points, either part paid or wholly paid, will not be eligible to earn bonus points on the residual balance from promos, such as the double, triple or quadruple points promos.
hence i always prefer to either pay fully with points, well as much as possible or none at all.
Maelstrom and hotel_user like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Also be aware that any stays that use points, either part paid or wholly paid, will not be eligible to earn bonus points on the residual balance from promos
As so many of the posts here are about that and about not being able to use points on the lowest rate sometimes, it seems to me there are only two sensible uses for LCAH points:
a) Use them at an Ibis, Ibis Styles, etc, when there are no promos on. (The brands that only earn half value anyhow if you pay with money.)
b) Wait until a good airline transfer promo comes up and move them to an airline that you can get better value out of.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Advanced Booking, Credit Card expired before booking, lost 10000 points

In a nut shell I booked an advanced executive room at the Novotel Bangkok Airport, I used 10,000 points plus cash. Before the commencement of my booking my Credit Card expired and my booking was subsequently cancelled. I tried telling the hotel that my new card is in the post and I would simply pass them my new details in a few days time. However they refused, despite my booking not taking place until November 2019. I have tried contacting Customer Services online, who say they will respond in due course. Sadly I have not heard a thing, I have now sent three messages over a three month period to no avail. Any ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.