Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Raffles Istanbul

Raffles Istanbul

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Raffles Istanbul

Zorlu Center Besiktas Istanbul, TR 34340

Raffles Istanbul (27 Photos)

Raffles Istanbul

I have been curious about Raffles Istanbul for quite a while but usually Fairmont is solid value for the money and they treat me well there, for cheaper than Raffles so I never tried Raffles until now.  At the moment Fairmont is still closed and I found a Best Price Guarantee at Raffles to bring the price down to a level lower than what they normally charge in low season so I gave them a try.  I believe the top 3 hotels in Istanbul are St.Regis, Raffles, and Four Seasons.  I have never stayed at FS but I am familiar with StR so I can provide a comparison (along with a comparison with Fairmont).  Overall I was quite satisfied with Raffles and I can recommend it for a premium luxury experience. 1_IMG_2229.jpeg

One of the few weaknesses of Fairmont is its location in a business district without much around it and the nearest subway station is a 10-15 minute walk away so not very close.  Raffles is only 3km from Fairmont but it’s significantly better because it’s connected to the Zorlu Center luxury shopping mall with many restaurants and a food court.  Also you can walk underground to reach the Gayrettepe subway station with a bit shorter walk than from Fairmont and more convenient if weather is not good since it’s indoors.

Room

I booked the entry level “Deluxe Room” and as per Accor rules I received a modest one-category upgrade to the “Premier Room” which I believe the main difference is that it’s a corner room.  There is a large balcony that wraps around the room so it has more outdoor space than the deluxe room but I think is the same size inside.  The room is quite large at 62 sqm, much larger than the entry level rooms at St.Regis which are 40 sqm.  In fact, even when I get a suite upgrade at StR is still smaller than the rooms at Raffles because they have small suites (57 sqm).  So comparing the price tag at Raffles and StR is somewhat misleading if comparing the cheapest rooms because of the difference in size.  The room at Raffles looked nice although design-wise StR is hard to beat.  I liked the floor to ceiling windows at Raffles on two full walls with thick and sturdy patio doors, and it had nice hardwood floors.  The bathroom had a frosted glass window to allow natural light in the bathroom, and also had electric controls to draw the blinds down for privacy.  The patio doors also had curtains and sheers that were controlled by the panel by the bed side.  The rain shower worked well with good water pressure and everything was functional.  One issue was that we could hear noise from the rooms above us and besides us, so soundproofing is not ideal which is surprising for a luxury hotel in a modern building.  Air conditioning was working fine during the day, but did not bring temperature down as cool as we would have liked for sleeping time. 

1_IMG_2207.jpegIMG_2208.jpegIMG_2210.jpegIMG_2211.jpegIMG_2212.jpegIMG_2213.jpegIMG_2214.jpegIMG_2215.jpegIMG_2216.jpegIMG_2218.jpeg

We had a welcome gift of baklava and a box of Turkish delight desserts, and a bottle of red wine which is more generous than the standard drink vouchers for Accor elite members. 

IMG_2209.jpeg1_IMG_2220.jpeg

Bathroom amenities were “Ortigia” which I had not heard of before and seemed to be specifically branded for Raffles Istanbul.  I realize this is a matter of personal choice but I prefer Le Labo at Fairmont, Le Remède at St.Regis, or other luxury amenities at Ritz Carlton (Asprey Purple Water) and Waldorf Astoria (Salvatore Ferragamo).  The scent of Ortigia products seemed more suitable for golden age women than for a broader range of guests.

IMG_2219.jpeg

Dining

One weakness of the Accor loyalty program is that Diamond guests only get free breakfast 2 days out of 7 except in Asia where it’s 7/7; many other hotel chains which do not limit breakfast to 2 days only.   Istanbul is sitting between Europe and Asia and there does not seem to be consistency between Accor hotels regarding the breakfast benefit being included or not, but fortunately Raffles gives free breakfast every day to elites and given the very high quality of the offering the value was quite material. 

They did not have a buffet but their a la carte menu was very extensive and included interesting and creative options such as breakfast burritos, artichoke florentine, chia bowl, etc.  On many days we asked them to make small modifications to match our taste and they met our desires every time.  I would also note that the smoked salmon was high quality and delicious.  Overall I found breakfast to be significantly better at Raffles than at St.Regis although I have not been there post-covid so I am not sure if they have improved their a la carte menu.

1_IMG_2226.jpeg1_IMG_2227.jpeg1_IMG_2235.jpegIMG_2254.jpeg1_IMG_2280.jpeg

The restaurant itself looked great with very high ceilings and wide spacing between tables which provided for a relaxing environment.  They also had a few tables to eat outside if desired. 

IMG_2223.jpeg1_IMG_2224.jpegIMG_2225.jpeg

We ordered room service once and unlike breakfast, it was a forgettable meal with higher prices than the nearby shopping mall. 

Service

As soon as we arrived in our room we opened our suitcase and realized I made a bone-head mistake: I took someone else’s suitcase at the airport!  This was embarrassing, it is the kind of mistake that people who rarely travel can make.  So I immediately needed Raffles’ help to fix this problem and thankfully they found the owner of the suitcase with a search on Instagram and contacted the owner who came to the hotel to pick up their bag.  Raffles also contacted the airport who put my suitcase aside and waited for me to go pick it up. 

Service during our stay continued to be very good, with frequent assistance printing documents and bringing them to our room, housekeeping being done always exactly at the time we requested, etc.  In addition, housekeeping was meticulous and attentive, always reorganizing our charging cables and they even left a hotel branded cloth to clean sunglasses which was a nice touch. 

IMG_2308.jpeg1_IMG_2230.jpeg

There where a couple of minor issues for example one day the hotel did not seem to have enough staff – I called many times at reception and nobody answered the phone and when I walked downstairs nobody could assist me for a while because the single staff member was occupied with another guest.  It was impressive that at check-out they had clearly marked the incident in my file because the night shift receptionist that I had not met before apologized about what happened that day after reading the notes.  A suggestion for improvement is that staff in the restaurant were friendly and efficient but unlike in some luxury hotels, did not address us by name and did not always remember our preferences such as choice of drinks like what top hotels do.

The hotel was a bit lax with covid precautions.  There was no temperature check either at the main entrance or at the secondary door linking with the shopping mall.  On the flip side, service in the restaurant was respectful of guests, not only staff had masks but they stood with a wider distance than normal from guests when talking or taking orders.

Gym

The main area of the gym had a lot of equipment but the low ceiling provided a somewhat claustrophobic feeling.  Thankfully there was an area with more equipment outdoors which was nice, and also a studio next to the main room.

IMG_2319.jpegIMG_2320.jpegIMG_2321.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked ok although a hotel of this caliber should probably do a bit better than 10 Mbps. 

Overall

Overall we had a solid stay, the breakfast is far superior than any other hotel we have stayed in Istanbul, and while the room upgrades at this property are modest, at least all rooms are very large so in those circumstances I am less concerned about upgrades.  It makes Raffles a good choice in high season because if I want a suite at a competitor such as St.Regis I would possibly have to pay for it due to low odds of upgrades when the hotel is full, and the price tag would exceed the price of the standard room at Raffles and I would have less space overall.  Where Raffles might be at a disadvantage is during low season when competitors are able to upgrade more generously, in such circumstances for travelers having elite status with many chains, Raffles will appear somewhat expensive.  However for Accor loyalists Raffles is the top option in the city and if money is no object then you cannot go wrong.  For the budget conscious Fairmont remains a great choice in my opinion as the drop in quality is not enormous and the price savings are material.  In my experience Accor is stronger in Istanbul than in many other parts of the world and Raffles provides a top-end luxury option to the portfolio which is sometimes missing elsewhere.

Raffles Istanbul

Would you like to write a review on the Raffles Istanbul?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Thanks for the review. I've considered staying here before, but ultimately ended up at the Four Seasons, primarily because of the location. Actually, FS has 2 properties... one in the Sultanahmet and one right on the Bosphorus. I liked that while staying a the Bosphorus property, you were free to use the facilities of the other property, which offered a convenient spot for a break when exploring the historic sites. If I was a business traveler, I might choose differently, but for a leisure traveler, the locations of the two FS properties were better for me, so I didn't mind paying a premium for the FS. I was hoping someone would post a review of this place!
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:13 am
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

CanadaDH I agree, location is not the strong point of Raffles if going for tourism. It is "less bad" than Fairmont but, FS + St.Regis are better. Personally in cities where I travel often, location can become less important and I tend to gravitate to hotels that have a location discount rather than a location premium in the price, but that does not mean I would pick such locations if going to a city for the first time.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Do they not have a club floor the Accor Members are granted access based on membership level?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Do they not have a club floor the Accor Members are granted access based on membership level?
The club lounge was closed due to covid so I could not check it out, and even when it's open Platinum+Diamonds do not have access. Only paying guests have access, plus people who are "members" of the club without even staying in the hotel (I am assuming local residents).
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
The club lounge was closed due to covid so I could not check it out, and even when it's open Platinum+Diamonds do not have access. Only paying guests have access, plus people who are "members" of the club without even staying in the hotel (I am assuming local residents).
ahhh, so similar to Accor members being shut out of Fairmont
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:55 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
One weakness of the Accor loyalty program is that Diamond guests only get free breakfast 2 days out of 7 except in Asia where its 7/7; many other hotel chains which do not limit breakfast to 2 days only. Istanbul is sitting between Europe and Asia and there does not seem to be consistency between Accor hotels regarding the breakfast benefit being included or not, but fortunately Raffles gives free breakfast every day to elites and given the very high quality of the offering the value was quite material.
Thanks for the detailed review! Just one small FYI regarding breakfast privileges - the daily complimentary breakfast for Platinum and above is for the Asia-Pacific region, so I doubt that Turkish hotels anywhere on the Asian side of the Strait would provide the daily complimentary breakfast benefit.

More information on that: HERE
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Thanks for the detailed review! Just one small FYI regarding breakfast privileges - the daily complimentary breakfast for Platinum and above is for the Asia-Pacific region, so I doubt that Turkish hotels anywhere on the Asian side of the Strait would provide the daily complimentary breakfast benefit.

More information on that: HERE
I think technically all of Turkey falls into Europe according to Accor's mapping so you are right, being on the west or east side of the Strait probably does not change their contractual obligations. That said, because Turkey is "almost" Asia, according to your link above there are no fewer than 21 Accor hotels in Istanbul that (voluntarily?) decided to offer free breakfast nonetheless, and thankfully Raffles is one of them. I would guess they do so to remain competitive with other hotel chains.

However, Fairmont and Sofitel Taksim are notably missing from the list of properties offering free breakfast to Platinums and Diamonds.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
However, Fairmont and Sofitel Taksim are notably missing from the list of properties offering free breakfast to Platinums and Diamonds.
Sofitel Taksim has a lounge, so you should have free breakfast there everyday.
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Ah you are right, I forgot. I would be curious to know if Sofitel allows the choice between lounge or restaurant, or if they limit it to the lounge only. At Fairmont I was always given the choice of the two venues when booking a gold room, which is nice because I like to mix things up. But the Fairmont breakfast still does not match the one from Raffles which is in a league of its own.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:06 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Assuming that the lounge is open for breakfast. I recall a member on this forum had an issue where the hotel would not provide a complimentary breakfast because the lounge did not operate for breakfast. The exact hotel eludes me right now...
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Assuming that the lounge is open for breakfast. I recall a member on this forum had an issue where the hotel would not provide a complimentary breakfast because the lounge did not operate for breakfast. The exact hotel eludes me right now...
Ah, OK to be checked.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:47 am
Original Poster

If I am not mistaken, I think it was Swissotel Tallinn - lounge closed for breakfast, and no free breakfast in the restaurant!
Maelstrom likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Do we know if the club lounge is opened these days/?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:15 am

Has anyone stayed at the Raffles Istanbul using the Amex FHR program? I'm wondering what the $100 Experience credit can be used towards. Most commonly the credit is used towards Food & Beverage or Spa, but the Amex FHR website doesn't specify what the $100 credit can be used towards for this hotel. It simply calls it a "$100 Property Credit" so I'm wondering if it's flexible and could be used towards either Food & Beverage or Spa?

Editing to add: I have already contacted both the Raffles Istanbul hotel and the Amex customer service reps. Neither were particularly helpful. The hotel said I needed to talk to Amex. A few of the Amex reps didn't know the answer, but one of them thought the credit was flexible and could be used towards things like Food & Beverage, Spa, etc. I figured someone on this forum may have stayed there and used the credit, which is why I'm asking this question on the forum.

Last edited by flyguy12345; Jul 15, 2021 at 10:56 am Reason: Updated info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.