Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

"an additional deposit to cover any potential extras"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"an additional deposit to cover any potential extras"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
Thumbs down "an additional deposit to cover any potential extras"

After checking in online, Accor is pleased to tell me by mail: "Congratulations ... an additional deposit to cover any potential extras that you may enjoy at the hotel. (This will be refunded following your stay should you not require any extras)."

I did NOT ask for this. [edited]

Last edited by starflyergold; Feb 21, 2018 at 11:59 pm Reason: FT rules violation
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Nothing special. It is the usual deposit every hotel is taking on a cc to cover the room rates and the potential on-site expenses (meals, etc).
No debit on the card before actual check-out.
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget the obscenities. Mods notifed and will hopefully edit soon enough. This is nothing new and has nothing to do with what you asked for or want. It is the property protecting itself from being stiffed.

Most properties put a hold for some amount over the room on your CC and release that hold when you settle your bill on departure.

There may be places which don't and it sounds as though those are the places you should seek out.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: ALL
Dear KLBGO,
In countries where the local acquiring bank and the PSP supports online pre-authorization, taking an additional authorization will be done at the time of online check-in. This will allow to streamline the in hotel check-in experience since the hotel should not have to ask you for these details anymore. In countries were banks and PSP don't allow this, the process will be handled at the time of check-in. As other have mentioned it's a very common practice around the industry to authorize an additional amount to cover any potential incidental charges.

Last edited by martin_paris; Feb 21, 2018 at 6:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Ums whats the big fuss of a deposit?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cowism
Ums whats the big fuss of a deposit?
Possibly unaware it happens a lot
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:46 am

Doesn't it tell you on the screen where you enter the card details or tick the box to use the card details on file that a pre-auth will be done? It's a while since I done OLCI but that seems to ring a bell.

The only potentially annoying thing is if you do it at -48h it's holding the money from then IIRC which may be an issue for some if its a large hold.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
I have never experienced this before, and have not ticket a box to accept this is any way. Doesn't matter weather the amound hold is large or small, this should be highlighted better on the OLCI screen.

Thanks for the comments (and mod editing hehe).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Just checked in to a hotel online. It is mentioned on the OLCI screen where you give your credit card details.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
remembered this thread when I did the OLCI today - think the message is pretty clear on the credit card deposit

We just need a card to validate your Fast Check-out.
To enable a Fast check-out, we will need to place a temporary authorization on your card to cover any extras you may enjoy during your stay.
Card *

Last edited by aapee; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:52 am

I dont offer my CC unless it is insisted. I usually pre pay or am on business with a bill back. Had a couple of occasions where room rate debited on business from personal card which I left for "incidental expenses" . Also the "hold" on the card lasts for an unreasonably long time - often over a week.
Novotel/Sofitel NEVER insist on it- Accor gold card seems to be enough for them to trust me, Mercure often do- assume this is as they are more locally owned under the franchise?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:34 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
While I comply with the request, I do not like the idea either. I see it as a misplaced paranoia. I am very surprised that hotels do not insist. How assertive are you and does not it leave a bad impression ?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:00 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Hotels can keep your credit card on file when you stay regularly. What they then normally ask me is just whether I will use my personal or corporate card.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: ALL
It's difficult to raise an opinion as several cases can apply :
  1. your billing instruction mention that your company will cover rooms, breakfast and any incidentals : In that case you shouldn't be asked for a credit card.
  2. your billing instruction mention that your company will only cover rooms and breakfast : in that case the hotel will request a credit card to cover incidentals.
  3. you billing instruction don't mention anything (POA Pay Own Account) : The hotel will request a CC to cover rooms and any incidentals. If you refuse the following will most probably apply:
    1. You will be request to pre-pay for your room night for the duration of your stay. (If you refuse you will most probably not get a key to a room).
    2. Your account will be flagged as "No Post": This will prevent any outlet in the hotel to post anything on your room. Most of the time it will also prevent the in room phone or pay-tv to work. Some hotels will even go all the way to empty the mini-bar.

In regards of the authorization, the hotel will hold on your CC it will be released at the time of check-in but will usually take a few days to re-appear on your credit line.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:20 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I do not have a corporate card, it is always mine even when travelling for business. 80% of my rates are pre-paid and includes breakfast.
Their history (Accor wide, not hotel wide) should show that I have never used the mini bar in my entire life nor watch pay-tv and I used in-room service less than 5 times. So why does not hotel feel they should hold some money (150 EUR per night once at a Sofitel, so in excess of 500 EUR) in case I will run without paying for a toblerone or a glass of wine ? While should I have a diminished credit and the hotel enjoy holding on my money ? Those are the reason I see this as misplaced paranoia. I would love to see the entire practice go through the test of the judiciary court. I am not sure it would survive in its current form.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.