Wiki Posts
Search

Marrakech - which hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:51 am
cwl
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Marrakech - which hotel?

Any experiences of the various Accor hotels in Marrakech?

Looking to book a 5 day break for January for a bit of R & R and seeing the sights.

As it's North Africa not expecting the very best of customer service but still looking for a good hotel.

The two Sofitels (sharing same site) appear to be well located although reviews I've read are mixed. I emailed the hotel to obtain some more information and took 5 emails over 2 weeks even to get a reply which then didn't answer the simple questions I asked. A hotel which is poor assisting a potential guest concerns me about the rest of the hotel. The Sofitels are also double the price of the Pullman or Novotel.

Based on my email experience I now have low expectations of the 2 Sofitel hotels. Anyone actually stayed in them? Good or bad experiences?

Pullman looks nice but location doesn't look ideal although price is good. Novotel seems to have a good location and price although was hoping for a bit more luxury than a Novotel. Any experiences of theses?

Are the Sofitel or MGallery in Essaouira any good? Appreciate they are a long drive from Marrakech
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Le Club Accor, Aeroplan
Marrakech and Essaouira

I am booked at the end of December for 3 nights at the Pullman Marrakech and for 2 nights at the Sofitel MGallery Essaouira. I will report back on my experience at both by 1st Jan if that is helpful. I agree with respect to the Pullman - the location isn't ideal however, the price couldn't be beat! The Sofitel in Essaouira seems well situated and is close to the medina.

Best,
Farheen
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flakhani
I am booked at the end of December for 3 nights at the Pullman Marrakech and for 2 nights at the Sofitel MGallery Essaouira. I will report back on my experience at both by 1st Jan if that is helpful. I agree with respect to the Pullman - the location isn't ideal however, the price couldn't be beat! The Sofitel in Essaouira seems well situated and is close to the medina.

Best,
Farheen
welcome to Flyertalk flakhani
and yes, we would be pleased to read your reviews.
Enjoy your stays
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:43 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Bumping this thread, I am considering Marrakech for an Easter get away. Any recent experiences at the either of the Sofitels in particular?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:07 pm
cwl
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Bumping this thread, I am considering Marrakech for an Easter get away. Any recent experiences at the either of the Sofitels in particular?
Currently staying in the Sofitel Palais Imperial Marrakech checking out Saturday.

The two Sofitel hotels are in fact one property sharing restaurants, bars, pools and lobby/reception. You turn right on entering the lobby for the Lounge and Spa and left for the Palais Imperial. Its really just one hotel.

I’ll write a short review next week.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:11 pm

If you stay in RAK you REALLY should try staying in a Riad.. at least for parts of your stay.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:12 pm
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by cwl
Currently staying in the Sofitel Palais Imperial Marrakech checking out Saturday.

The two Sofitel hotels are in fact one property sharing restaurants, bars, pools and lobby/reception. You turn right on entering the lobby for the Lounge and Spa and left for the Palais Imperial. Its really just one hotel.

I’ll write a short review next week.
Thanks, I did not know that, very peculiar. Looking forward to the review.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Bumping this thread. Have four or five days at the start of April

Any advice or information. Not expecting anything good service wise from Sofitel etc .... is it easier to stay at the Ibis and expect nothing ... ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
cwl
Original Poster

On basis you're going early April I assume you'll want to spend time exploring the old town? Great time of year to enjoy a leisurely coffee of green tea overlooking Jemaa el-Fnaa.

Hotels in Morocco especially Marrakech aren't cheap and service standards are generally below Europe or Asia. Lots of staff doesn't translate into attentive service.

The Sofitels and the Novotel offer the best location for the old town. The Novotel is opposite the two Sofitels. All 3 offer an easy 15 minute stroll to Jemaa el-Fnaa or 5 minutes to the walls of the old city.

The two Sofitels are not brand leading and service is typical of Morocco, ok just rather slow. Rooms are as you'd expect although not modern. Breakfast is good but expensive if not included in room rate. Food quality in general is good just don't expect fast service. Plenty of good food options within walking distance at significantly lower prices. Depending on rates being offered and budget both offer a good base to explore Marrakech on foot whilst being able to come back to the hotel for a break, enjoy the pools, spa etc before heading out again.

Novotel across the road is also not brand leading. Rooms are ok, small, clean although not typical Novotel design. The pool area is poor with towels so old and thin you can literally see through them. If price is right and you won't spend much time in the hotel it's worth considering. Stayed 1 night before a very early departure for Casablanca and for that it was fine. Platinum recognition was good, allocated one of only two room offering a balcony overlooking the Sofitel on top floor. Hotel seems to rely on clientele enjoying Marrakech nightlife - breakfast not served before 8am but continues to 1pm, restaurant is a late opening tapas bar with DJ.

The Ibis is slightly further out located next to the station on the edge of the modern shopping area. Just about walkable to the old town or a 10 minute taxi ride. Walking distance to Marrackech's modern shopping malls. Never stayed here so can't comment on the hotel beyond location. Outside looks fine and typical Ibis. If price is good and you only want somewhere to sleep it is an option.

The Fairmont as you'd expect is the best hotel ignoring location but prices can be very high. Long way out of town, 30 minute courtesy bus or taxi ride to old town. Great hotel to relax in and enjoy the resort but not great if the plan is to explore Marrakech during a short break. Prices are significantly higher both for rooms and F & B even compared to the Sofitels. Great sports facilities, golf, tennis, gyms, pools.
hotel_user, Goldorak and Dav77 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:08 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Bumping this thread. Have four or five days at the start of April

Any advice or information. Not expecting anything good service wise from Sofitel etc .... is it easier to stay at the Ibis and expect nothing ... ?

Thanks in advance.
If you're going to stay in Marrakech I'd strongly suggest to stay at a Riad in the city and not some chain hotel. Riads are usually very well located, private and offer great service and experience in my opinion: This riad for example is quite nice: Riad Marrakech | Riad l?Orangeraie
If you want to stay at a hotel, however, the only hotels I can suggest would be La Mamounia (https://www.mamounia.com/en/), the Royal Mansour (https://www.royalmansour.com/) and the Fairmont Royal Palm (which I usually always stay in: https://www.fairmont.com/marrakech/).

Prices, however, are rather steep in april. Funnily enough I'll be in Marrakech in mid april as well

If you'd like some suggestions regarding restaurants or places to visit I'd be glad to help you out!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
We was thinking for some days Easter holiday (at the end we have decided for Abu Dhabi and Dubai) in April, and my first choose would have been Angsana Riad collection

I think this hotel has to be very nice, especially at Luxe 50 sqm room, for the requested rate.( and at the time we would have booked, there were promo X4 points on Angsana)

Never have been at any Accor in Marrakech before.

Of course both Sofitels seem fantastic

interested in read any reviews after your stays.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Regarding Riads - any thoughts on the local Angsana? Is the 4x promo for Banyan Tree properties still on?

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...on/index.shtml
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by JTCz
Regarding Riads - any thoughts on the local Angsana? Is the 4x promo for Banyan Tree properties still on?

i think it’s actually discontinued to register, even if i remember there were the possibility to book hotels for stays until end April 2019

perhaps trying with CC if they can allow you to register even if late.

Or, you can book and then claim X4 points after your stay, telling CC you was registered...

often, even if you register correctly the system doesn’t recognize automatically it, so you have to deal with CC in every case 😃
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:47 am

Registration on this promo is still open (until 24th feb)

https://www.accorhotels.com/leclub/p...oints.it.shtml

valid for stays until middle of April
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:27 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by JTCz

The rates are not for the fainthearted, in and about €400-500/night....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.