Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loyalty and Prices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Loyalty and Prices

Allow me to have a mini rant. I've been an accor plat. member for about 5 years. I have always gone out of my way to use their hotels to keep my status and enjoy the perks. This will probably be the last year since they have changed the rules making it harder to qualify.

I just tried to book the fairmont in Boston for a weekend in August. On the Accor site it is £525/night and they do NOT even participate in the loyalty scheme. On booking.com I can get a nicer room, for the same nights, for £220/night.

Shouldn't the best prices be offered to their most loyal customers, and shouldn't all their hotels belong to their programme, especially the hotels where guests will spend the most money?

Currently baffled!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

You can apply for a price match. I have done the same last year and it was honoured. Just make sure that you follow the rules listed.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NathanM
I just tried to book the fairmont in Boston for a weekend in August. On the Accor site it is £525/night and they do NOT even participate in the loyalty scheme. On booking.com I can get a nicer room, for the same nights, for £220/night.
Shouldn't the best prices be offered to their most loyal customers
To be fair, you can say that for all hotel chains and also non-affiliated hotels. You will always find a difference in price between hotel brokers and the hotel/chain itself. But, with such a difference it's of course no brainer. Loyalty should never come at that price, and in any case loyalty doesn't fit into the equation here (see your 2nd question below).

and shouldn't all their hotels belong to their programme, especially the hotels where guests will spend the most money?
That's another debate and you can find several threads in this forum about that. Accor is of course working on that, but it takes a lot of time. LCAH members have indeed currently 0 incentive to stay at Fairmont, Raffles and Swisshotel, while the members of those programs have been offered a status match to LCAH . Very frustrating indeed.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plankje
You can apply for a price match. I have done the same last year and it was honoured. Just make sure that you follow the rules listed.
Thanks! - where can I find the rules on that?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks! - where can I find the rules on that?
But why bother ? Just book on booking.com as your LCAH membership and status will not bring you any benefit at Fairmont. So you have no incentive at all to book directly with Fairmont/Accor.
Things would be different of course if LCAH was accepted at Fairmont.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:33 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
But why bother ? Just book on booking.com as your LCAH membership and status will not bring you any benefit at Fairmont. So you have no incentive at all to book directly with Fairmont/Accor.
A 10% discount on the best price is an incentive to many, and a feature of many hotels BPG programs.

http://www.fairmont.com/best-rate-guarantee/

£52 is not chump change
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by markis10
A 10% discount on the best price is an incentive to many, and a feature of many hotels BPG programs.

http://www.fairmont.com/best-rate-guarantee/

£52 is not chump change
Certainly. But when you see the reports we have on this forum how Accor can be reluctant to agree on such claims, one has to decide whether he/she wants to spend hours doing such a claim and possibly to have to "fight" for it. I would not do it (no time), but I completely understand one would.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I am just holding till 2018 and hopefully by then they will be included in the group. Best to avoid the hotels until they enter the program.
While we are disappointed their members celebrate not allowing the hordes of Accor members into their hotels.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by tris06
While we are disappointed their members celebrate not allowing the hordes of Accor members into their hotels.
Knowing the average rate at Fairmont or Raffles, I doubt there will be hordes of Accor members flooding those places
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Knowing the average rate at Fairmont or Raffles, I doubt there will be hordes of Accor members flooding those places
The worry is probably that when Plat and Gold members turn up there, we actually do get upgrades without having to ask and beg and then expect the same from the original Accor brands
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Plankje
Technically correct, but the hotel response is very much dependent upon the location and the "franchise" relationship. My last experience was an exercise in frustration and I just said to myself that the cost difference wasn't worth my time to try and explain the guarantee by email to the locals. There are some countries where master company standards and rules do not appear to be respected, let alone enforced. (As an aside, the running joke at this hotel is its its Potemkin style Club Accor line: Sometimes a velvet rope and even a sign, but never a dedicated agent, nor any respect for the priority to be given should someone be in that line. IMO, like the price guarantee, it's just for show.)

In respect to Fairmont, the operating philosophy was a more customer oriented disposition compared to Accor. Fairmont retained its customer base based upon service, and value added. Until such time as Accor guts the Fairmont operation, I would try with Fairmont to see if they can do something. Accor itself is a lost cause and its approach to customer service and loyalty has more in common with a Calais truck stop.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
The worry is probably that when Plat and Gold members turn up there, we actually do get upgrades without having to ask and beg and then expect the same from the original Accor brands
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
And this expresses the genuine fear of Fairmont loyalists.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
In respect to Fairmont, the operating philosophy was a more customer oriented disposition compared to Accor. Fairmont retained its customer base based upon service, and value added. Until such time as Accor guts the Fairmont operation, I would try with Fairmont to see if they can do something. Accor itself is a lost cause and its approach to customer service and loyalty has more in common with a Calais truck stop.
+1

A call to the FPC line is in order. Unlike airlines and other large hotels, the Fairmont folks are friendly, experienced and empowered.

I've yet to be disappointed by the FPC folks either in the hotel or their customer service hotline.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Allow me to have a mini rant. I've been an accor plat. member for about 5 years. I have always gone out of my way to use their hotels to keep my status and enjoy the perks. This will probably be the last year since they have changed the rules making it harder to qualify.

Shouldn't the best prices be offered to their most loyal customers, and shouldn't all their hotels belong to their programme, especially the hotels where guests will spend the most money?

Currently baffled!
Question, is that £220/night final price?

My personal experience, many site offer cheaper rate and end up higher at the final price. I hate this as it gives me false hope I can brg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.