Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accor to buy Starwood?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
That would be sensational if it happened - would definitely open up North America and a number of other markets for us
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by PabloM
That would be sensational if it happened - would definitely open up North America and a number of other markets for us
it could be however what begs to question is Accor's ability to run and manage a large operation such as Starwood given that the bulk of their properties are in the US and geared to US travelers. Much different than say Ibis where you have four walls and vending machines. Oh I know Sofitel but that franchise has stagnated for years. Hey not saying they can't make it happen, but
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by edgewood49
IT would be akin to Yugo buying Rolls Royce
Lol I have to look up what's a Yugo. To be fair it will be difficult for any hotel group to integrate a big buyout like this. It will be great the Starwood CS team take over from Accor's.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:22 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RJ77
It will be great the Starwood CS team take over from Accor's.
The alternative scenario doesn't bear thinking about: Accor customer service trying to deal with millions of Starwood Preferred Guest members who have grown accustomed to generally very consistent delivery of their status benefits.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by IMH
The alternative scenario doesn't bear thinking about: Accor customer service trying to deal with millions of Starwood Preferred Guest members who have grown accustomed to generally very consistent delivery of their status benefits.
One of the very points I am saying. it's just a different mind set does not mean that both organizations couldn't benefit from each other. Starwood is a little stale actually of late.I have been more Hyatt centric of late.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
It is a bit puzzling to read all the comments about the improbability of Accor pulling this off. There are many cases of smaller companies buying larger ones and being quite successful in so doing. Accor has never been a significant North America player but they've been pretty successful in a host of very difficult markets. Starwood is not really outstanding in any respect today. With the global reach the combination would have and with Accor strength in managing properties in very difficult places there is every reason to expect they could recruit the talent they need. From an operating perspective top talent really needed a more nearly global base than either of these now have. That there is modest conflict in existing properties is an advantage. That both need revival is a challenge but one that could reap rich rewards if it works. I do not want to understate the challenge but I would not write of a deal either.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
It is a bit puzzling to read all the comments about the improbability of Accor pulling this off. There are many cases of smaller companies buying larger ones and being quite successful in so doing. Accor has never been a significant North America player but they've been pretty successful in a host of very difficult markets. Starwood is not really outstanding in any respect today. With the global reach the combination would have and with Accor strength in managing properties in very difficult places there is every reason to expect they could recruit the talent they need. From an operating perspective top talent really needed a more nearly global base than either of these now have. That there is modest conflict in existing properties is an advantage. That both need revival is a challenge but one that could reap rich rewards if it works. I do not want to understate the challenge but I would not write of a deal either.
well written more in line with a investment pitch !
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I would agree with that sentiment, there are both geographic advantages to be had as well as institutional synergies to be harnessed. Bazin as ex executive of Colony Capital which has a history of hotel buy outs could probably pull this off ^
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold
I would agree with that sentiment, there are both geographic advantages to be had as well as institutional synergies to be harnessed. Bazin as ex executive of Colony Capital which has a history of hotel buy outs could probably pull this off ^
+1
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Originally Posted by starflyergold
+1
I will start taking bets now on when this will happen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.