Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Hotel Muse, MGallery, Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Review: Hotel Muse, MGallery, Bangkok

Inspired by the social and artistic milieu of fin de siècle Europe and King Rama V-era Thailand, Hotel Muse combines cosmopolitan chic with playful elegance amid a new golden age of Asia. We bring to the city lavish guest rooms along with a distinctive array of dining and entertainment venues unlike anything Bangkok has ever seen.
Hotel Muse, for those who love to live independently.

www.hotelmusebangkok.com

It's an MGallery property. Got to love Bangkok for the sheer choice of Accor properties. I've given up counting the no. of properties in Bangkok but indeed the more the merrier, especially the boutique style MGallery properties.

Last edited by RJ77; Jun 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by RJ77
Inspired by the social and artistic milieu of fin de siècle Europe and King Rama V-era Thailand, Hotel Muse combines cosmopolitan chic with playful elegance amid a new golden age of Asia. We bring to the city lavish guest rooms along with a distinctive array of dining and entertainment venues unlike anything Bangkok has ever seen.
Hotel Muse, for those who love to live independently.

www.hotelmusebangkok.com

It's an MGallery property. Got to love Bangkok for the sheer choice of Accor properties. I've given up counting the no. of properties in Bangkok but indeed the more the merrier, especially the boutique style MGallery properties.
Nice ad. You're well on your way to being a 'spokesmodel' ! wj
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Heard of copy and paste?

Last edited by RJ77; Jun 19, 2011 at 5:31 am
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Review: Hotel Muse, M-Gallery Collection,Bangkok

Had just spent the weekend at Hotel Muse. Just barely open for two weeks, this boutique property could be the winner in Bangkok.

As it is, the hotel has open only two floors of guestrooms at this moment while the rest will be open in a couple of weeks' time, though one staff admitted that it will probably be only before the year ends when the hotel operates in full swing. Eventually it will have 174 rooms including 11 suites.

Lobby is small with four desks both served as check in and concierge, they even hired a guitarist to play in the lobby. Checking in was fine, the staff were all new and rather inexperienced but they have guest relationship managers to take care of guests (in addition to the reception staff). There was a slight confusion with the breakfast option which I was entitled to (basically breakfast in the room). But it was all sorted out eventually. A hand garland were presented together with a gift, I suppose that's for the A Club platinum recognition. Upgrade of room was from a normal Deluxe Room to the Corner Room (what they call a Grand Deluxe King).

Corner room is of good size, which features distressed timber flooring, which depending on one's taste, you could love it or loathe it. It feels solid and doesn't creak. Overall build quality is very good, certainly a few notches above Hotel Vie, another MGallery property in Bangkok. I like the bathroom a lot, with the use of black marble, and details on the basin and it succeeds in creating a classy look. Bed is a very comfy,sleep-inducing king-sized bed. In room amenities include a 42" Flat panel TV and a stand alone minibar cabinet. A huge plate of welcome fruit awaited. All in all, I'd say it was very handsomely furnished.

The underlying theme of this hotel is the westernization of the Old Siam during the Rama V reign, so I supposed he was the muse? So expect a preponderance of old world, "colonial' decor which is fine by me but I find the overuse of its logo 'M' on shower floors, elevator doors, elevator entrance, bedsheets render it rather Disney-esque. I mean is it necessary to stamp on my unused toilet roll after every housekeeping with that logo?

I had my breakfast the first day in the room as included in my rate. I decided for forego the in room breakfast and check out the restaurant the next day, and boy was glad I did. Breakfast at currently the only restaurant in the hotel on the 19th floor was lovely and a highlight for me. It's order by the menu for the main courses, there're some buffet style offering like fruits, salads , pastries, cold cuts and juices.There's something very civilized about this compared to the buffet style breakfast. Never in my life have I had steaks for breakfast but on this morning when presented with the option, why not? And it was rather delicious. So was my egg Benedict and my Phad Thai. Another restaurant, the Italian one, Medici will be open in a couple of weeks.

Gym was small but adequate, the adjoining pool was very small as well, it's facing the condominiums and rather in view of all the condo residents. Probably good for a dip and bob around.

Service was friendly throughout though not slick but the staff were eager to please. Give it some time and they'll shine.

Location: This works for me after getting over myself on dreading the 7 minute walk to the nearest BTS. The station is Chidlom which is a stop from Siam Sq. and two stops from National Stadium (MBK). Was told the Lumpini park is just by the corner. The street is rather gentrified as far as Bangkok goes, lined with high end condos and cafes and restaurants. It must have at least a handful of other hotels and condotels along this street. Another Accor property, Natural ville is just a short walk way with its Lenorte cafe.

Will I return? At US$160/night all in? You bet I will.

Last edited by RJ77; Nov 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:46 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Excellent review and pictures RJ77 ^ Thanks for sharing
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:33 am

Thumbs up

Thanks for a wonderful review and for the brilliant photos.
Although - I have to admit - 160US$ for a hotel in Bangkok ought to buy one much much more luxury, from my experience.
Still, looks like a nice hotel.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:16 am
Original Poster

It is a very nice hotel. Staff are new but friendly. The bed feels luxurious, I would rate it above Hotel Vie and Sofitel Silom. The breakfast as mentioned, won me over. You don't get any more than that with that price bracket in Bangkok. Looking forward to their suites.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:25 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Writing this from the Muse Hotel:

So far Platinum recognition almost zero. What they call upgrade was a room with a different colour (I am not making this up). I declined as the corner room is actually nicer (even with the cheaper toiletries, no Molton Brown for this commoner ). When I asked about drinks vouchers they tell me the juice at reception is the drink, hello?

They claim Platinum perks are breakfast and internet. Oddly enough that's already included in my rate. Summary: No Platinum recognition other than some fruit and a welcome note.

Full review after the stay is completed.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

You need to talk to the GM to put things straight about Platinum benefits. Saying brekkie and Internet are part of perks when it's included in the rate is just silly (how I wish they were the standard plat benefits). I was lenient in my review as it's barely opened for two weeks, allowing for any opening jitters as their staff were new and inexperienced. By now I would expect them to have their acts together.

So what room category exactly do they call the room with a different colour?

Do report on the basement restaurant, Medici. It was two weeks from opening when I stayed.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Writing this from the Muse Hotel:

So far Platinum recognition almost zero. What they call upgrade was a room with a different colour (I am not making this up). I declined as the corner room is actually nicer (even with the cheaper toiletries, no Molton Brown for this commoner ). When I asked about drinks vouchers they tell me the juice at reception is the drink, hello?

They claim Platinum perks are breakfast and internet. Oddly enough that's already included in my rate. Summary: No Platinum recognition other than some fruit and a welcome note.

Full review after the stay is completed.
I think this is not only happen to MUSE HOTEL but most of the M-Gallery properties, they don't like us, experienced it at VIE Hotel Bangkok cannot upgrade to the next category not because it was not available but the reason was because the Duplex room are way too expensive than the grand deluxe room that we had book. (The reply from them was because grand deluxe consider category 2, and duplex consider category 5 but searching thru Accor, Mgallery and vie website i cant find anything in between which they classify as category 3 or 4) and The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali (booked at suite room an no upgrade was allow for platinum because next category is Villa)

with the 100% disappointment with M-Gallery i am avoiding M-Gallery for all my future stay
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:56 pm
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by yauee
I think this is not only happen to MUSE HOTEL but most of the M-Gallery properties, they don't like us, experienced it at VIE Hotel Bangkok cannot upgrade to the next category not because it was not available but the reason was because the Duplex room are way too expensive than the grand deluxe room that we had book. (The reply from them was because grand deluxe consider category 2, and duplex consider category 5 but searching thru Accor, Mgallery and vie website i cant find anything in between which they classify as category 3 or 4) and The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali (booked at suite room an no upgrade was allow for platinum because next category is Villa)

with the 100% disappointment with M-Gallery i am avoiding M-Gallery for all my future stay
Interesting point, I am staying at the Mgallery VIE next week (booked a Grand Deluxe 1 King Bed). Let's see if they are better than the Muse.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:28 pm
Accor 25+ Badge

Review January 2012

I stayed two nights at the Mgallery Muse in Bangkok. The room booked was a "Muse Grand Deluxe King". Upon arrival the taxi was shepherded to the side entrance (not the front strangely). The reception area is a cramped part of the corridor with staff working off laptops at small tables. Check in was reasonably swift and complimented by a wet towel and a juice drink. When I inquired about an upgrade the front desk manager came over and told me that I was upgraded to the "Muse Residence King". While that room was on a higher floor it was exactly the same size (39m²) and actually not very nice. The only difference was the colour scheme, an espresso machine and Molton Brown toiletries, furniture was the same. I was also told that no suites were available. Sensing my disappointment I was shown the original room and settled for that.

The room was decent in size and nicely furnished (RJ77's pictures show a corner room). The bed was large and pretty close to the Mybed by Sofitel. Internet was free (for 2 devices) and so was mineral water. A welcome note, a Muse key ring and fruit platter were provided as A-Club Platinum welcome. When I inquired about the welcome drink I was told that the juice I had at reception was it. No free cocktail then at the Muse.

The room obviously hadn't been stayed in for a while and surfaces were dusty and remained so during the stay. The same can be said for the corridors where the carpets were dusty and not clean and were not vacuumed once throughout my 3 days at the Muse.

The pool area was small but perfectly formed as was the gym. The Thai restaurant was pleasant and very good value for lunch. Breakfast (included in the rate) was ample and cooked to order. Service was ok if a bit uncoordinated.

The Muse seems to have established itself at the moment as a cool place (for the time being) in Bangkok resulting in the hotel doing a lot of food and beverage (F&B) sales from non hotel guests. This became evident on the first night when the roof top bar was closed to residents due to a private function (Jimmy Choo launch if you must know). This resulted in elevators blocked for those guests while hotel guests had to wait, and staff ferrying boxes of bottles up and down instead of using the freight elevator. On the third day it was the turn of Medici (the Italian restaurant and bar) to be closed for residents due to yet another private function.

The night we were actually allowed to use the roof top bar service was shambolic with tables laden down with empty glasses and guest being told that those tables despite being vacant for a long time were in use and that the occupants were in the toilet (doing what I wonder?).

Drinks at the bar were very expensive and service was extremely slow. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Check out was ok until another nasty surprise was sprung upon me. I had made use of one of those carrier bags hotels provide in the closet (akin to a long life shopping bag you get in Tesco or Carrefour for €1.50) and was told that this would cost me THB 529.65 (or €12.95). This sort of shaking down guests just left me speechless (and while I asked them if they were serious they insisted).

Value: At the time of booking the Muse was the most expensive of the upscale Accor hotels in Bangkok and while the rooms are ok I do not consider the hotel good value. It has service problems (staff are largely untrained) and the hotel values non guests more than guests. Its focus on F&B at the detriment of hotel guests is not a strategy that will pay off in the long run (the fashionistas will soon discover a new boîte) and hotel guests who were told they are not welcome in the bar or restaurant will not return. Adding to the high rate the unscrupulous fleecing of guests for a branded shopping bag adds to the theme.

Would I return? No, you get much better service from experienced and well trained staff at the Sofitel Silom (soon to be Pullman G).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

What a shame the stay didn't turn out well for you. I empathize on your frustrations when the service is below par. One of the reasons I am not that enamoured with Pullman Bangkok like most people do is its constant business to outsider conventions and product launches which results in the lobby being busy all the time. But at least it's a big hotel. Can't imagine it happens in a small hotel like the Muse. Must be pretty uncomfortable.

At least you got a practical key ring. I was given a polo-shirt sized XL that only an 8 year old could wear. They exchanged for a teddy bear doll after I complained.

Oh and that feminine looking carrier bag? I just took it and gave it to my mum. Don't think I got charged. Very low of them to charge a cheap bag.

Last edited by RJ77; Jan 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

starflyergold- it is absurd to be charged for the carrier bag. Post on tripadvisor about this- tends to get the attention of management quite quickly. Shame on the hotel for even thinking about this. Thinking about cancelling my February reservation now
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by starflyergold

Would I return? No, you get much better service from experienced and well trained staff at the Sofitel Silom (soon to be Pullman G).
Seems like someone share my view, disappointment with M-Gallery. Will be missing Sofitel Silom especially after the staff movement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.