Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
The Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai

Any has any experience with this hotel? I've just booked a Fairmont Room during its FPC's Great Dates promotion. It's stated it's a "inner view" room. Doesn't sound great to me I requested for a Bund/River view, the reservation just says Fairmont Rooms are only "inner view".
Old May 10, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, MP Diamond, OW Emerald, HiltonHoners, Fairmont Presidents,SPG Gold
Stayed there in a suite a few months ago facing the Bund.
I have a reservation next week on Gold with a Inner Court view.
Will let you know what it is like.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

It seems the Bund view are only for the suites. Will be there next weekend as well.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, MP Diamond, OW Emerald, HiltonHoners, Fairmont Presidents,SPG Gold
Inner View

Well the hotel is great.
Gold Lounge is fantastic.
Service 5*

Room is very nice for a Fairmont Room.
Large bathroom, Shower, Soaker Claw tub, small TV and 2 Sinks. Probable the size of an average room.

King Bed, Couch, Work Area. 32" LCD. All in all a very very large room.
Looking at the floor map on the door, only Suites looking directly onto the Bund.

The last room I was in, you had to look to your left to see a slight view of the bund.

But to answer your question, the view is less then desirable for an Inner View.

Would insert a picture, but I never can figure out how to get a picture into this site. PM me if you would like me to e-mail it to you.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Looking forward to my stay following your positive feedback, thanks. The reservation desk promised to upgrade me to a Deluxe room which has a city view. An upgrade in view not in room size as the Deluxe are slightly smaller rooms. But I'm not complaining.

Would be great to see the room though, PM me away!

Last edited by RJ77; May 23, 2011 at 8:50 am
Old May 23, 2011, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Back from the Peace Hotel

Just back from the Fairmont Peace Hotel. This heritage hotel was very nicely restored to its former glory of being the hotel to stay in the 30s. I will let the pictures do the talking.

The room I stayed in.

The view outside. The old window was retained with another new window pane added, still that's not enough to shield off the Shanghai traffic noise (even with curtains down at night), was woken up by an incessant honking at five in the morning. Go for an innercourt view Fairmont room if you treasure peacefulness. You can still see the tiny bit of the Bund. Bund view rooms are reserved for the suites.

The bathroom. Clawfoot bath tub and all. Water pressure could be higher at the shower head.

The pool.

The public areas. A free guided tour is provided around the property.

Superb view of Pudong and the Bund at the terrace next to the Cathay room which is open during the tour or if one book it for a function.

The Gold lounge on the 9th floor. Delightful. Apart from the F&B at the lounge, I did make use of the packing/unpacking service and if one's shoes need shining, not a problem, will be done in 20 minutes.

All in all, a lovely stay.

The Pudong skyline at night.

Last edited by RJ77; May 26, 2011 at 10:03 am
Old May 26, 2011, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Updated.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by RJ77
Updated.
Thanks for taking the time to upload the photos!
Old May 29, 2011, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Took quite a bit of my time doing it , was fun doing the collages but it will be a long time before I do another .
Old May 29, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt

The view outside.
We had exactly this kind of room. Just don't know if it is the same floor or not. The view is the same and the furniture arrangement is the same. We got this with a complimentary night cert plus a suite upgrade cert.

The ensuite bathroom stunk while we were there! We closed it off and didn't use it. We only used the powder room instead.

We didn't complain because it was just a very short stay and we didn't want to change room. Too busy while there.

But all in all, the stay wasn't too bad. I would rate the Pen next door higher and the Park Hyatt much higher though.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

It wasn't a suite I stayed in, it was a Deluxe room as I wanted a better view than an inner court view. I was on 1st floor. I think what you had is a 1-bedroom suite. Bigger suites like one of the Nine-Nation Suites would have a full on Bund view. My gripe is they didn't do a good job at sound proofing and if you know the driving habits of the Shanghainese, they do have a propensity to press on the horns ever so often at any time of the day.

I would agree with you that the Pen and PH would be better hotels but none of these have a sense of history and bona fide heritage value as they're just new buildings. What I wanted to see for myself is what had become of a 3-year complete restoration on this property.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
My suite number was 522. I just went through my pictures and yes, our view from the room was a bit better than yours.

I picked this picture to show how dirty the window was. I had to open the window to take decent pictures.

Here are a few more in my suite:

The platinum amenity:

I agree with you that the Peace Hotel has a lot of history with it. The Pen does too but not to the extent of the Peace Hotel. PH is just a modern highrise. But this was always exciting to get a panoramic view of Shanghai with a high floor, although this has been surpassed by the RC HKG that we stayed at last month.

One thing I don't quite like about the Peace Hotel is that they forbid photography at the lobby. I had to sneakily take pictures of it while there.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarusoba
The platinum amenity:
Nice suite. Are you sure that's the platinum amenity? A fruit plate? I'm hardly a platinum and I got that as well.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:06 am

Nice suite. Are you sure that's the platinum amenity? A fruit plate? I'm hardly a platinum and I got that as well.
No, I'm not sure. Maybe this is the platinum amenity and yours was a VIP amenity.

I don't care. We didn't eat the fruit.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:30 am

Took quite a bit of my time doing it , was fun doing the collages but it will be a long time before I do another .
did u purposely zoom in to snap the details? if not do consider getting a camera with a wider zoom! haa.. =)

but i think we all appreciate the uploading of the photos

i stayed there last oct, not long after it opened.. a lot of issues then.. rude staff and everything.. the hardware is totally great though.. the rooms are great.. couldnt say the same for the staff then...

but looking at the reviews now, seem that all is fine

btw my room and view do look very much like these photos too! haa..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.