The Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Yes, my attempt at being arty in few of the shots,
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: 100K
I stayed at this hotel as well and must say it's been my best Fairmont experience so far. Definitely a notch above the North American Fairmont experience (and I've stayed at pretty much most of them). Nice and spacious rooms, awesome location, great pool/spa as well.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai, China – Review of My Stay

Just had a really nice stay at this property. You can find the pictures (49) and the video of the suite I had at http://bit.ly/shapeace.

Earlier in the week I had twenty hour transfer in Shanghai. I had one award night with Fairmont that I could apply a suite upgrade as well. These were both about to expire later this month so it made sense to use them for a stay in Shanghai, and I am glad that I did.

Getting to the hotel from the airport

From the airport I took the Maglev train to the metro station closer to the hotel. In China you should always have the hotel name and address with some diving instructions IN CHINESE for the taxi drivers. There were plenty of taxis available at the station. I had a map that showed the approximate location of the hotel. Taxi found the correct address after I had asked for a help from the Peninsula’s bellman.

Checking in

The Fairmont’s computer system was down but they had everything prepared and ready. I was bit surprised that the person who took me to the suite wasn’t actually award if it was a suite or a regular room. I would have imaged that if you work for a hotel you would know them by heart

Accommodations – Suite 318

The suite 318 was beautiful. I asked the lady who took me there, whether I would have access to the Fairmont’s Club Lounge, they call them Gold, as well. She wasn’t sure and called someone. The benefits of being a Platinum with Fairmont’s President Club doesn’t include lounge access. Oh well. My upgrade didn’t include the lounge access. I thought that made they would have included

The Suite 318 that I had was beautiful. It was a proper two room suite. I loved the small details like a magnifying glass on the work desk and a pink flamingo next to the flower arrangement on the bedroom. The hotel had been fully renovated recently and the suite was in a pristine condition. The only negative was a bit of a sewerage smell on the toilet. Not sure where it came from.

Fitness center

The fitness center was open from 6AM onwards. I spoke with the front desk around 3:30AM that I would like to use for an hour starting 4:30AM. Hotels, that I have been to, have always been very accommodating for opening the facilities for use after hours. I was first told that they couldn’t do it as they don’t have anything else than the keys to open up the doors. After I was “couching” them for a while and asked the operator to have a word with the duty manager, they came to conclusion that I could use them from 4:30AM. The guy who opened the facilities for me didn’t know how to turn on the treadmill that I was going to use. Luckily, I knew.

In room dining

As I had $100 worth of dining certificates about to expire, I inquired if I could use them for room service. They said that I could, but not for the breakfast. This wasn’t a problem with me. I placed my order with the in room dining at 4:15AM for delivery at 5:45AM. They called me after I had placed my order to let me know that they couldn’t do the salmon plate that I had ordered. I switched to Serrano ham plate next but that too was not going to happen. They suggested a beef carpaccio that I happily accepted.

Conclusion

The location of the hotel was perfect, and I liked the fact that it was an older hotel for Shanghai, although only 80 years old. The suite that I had was fabulous and the service was good. The minor problems I had with the internet, fitness center, and room service order delivered 10 minutes too early wouldn’t deter me staying at a property again when I am back in Shanghai later this spring.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the great review!^

I almost ended up staying at the hotel for one night recently on my way from AKL to Europe, but in the end I decided it wasn´t worth the hassle....Maybe another day...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the great review!^

I almost ended up staying at the hotel for one night recently on my way from AKL to Europe, but in the end I decided it wasn´t worth the hassle....Maybe another day...
My transfer was close to 22 hours so it was worth getting to the city. Had a nice sleep, got some work done, exercised, and had a rather heavy in-room dining order ().
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Hilton Honors, SPG
Having stayed at the Peace Hotel twice in the last 2 years, I've found that one great thing is that it's such a Shanghainese landmark that all the taxi drivers I've used know it by name. (In Mandarin of course)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've booked this classic property with my Platinum Free Night and Suite Upgrade and from the reviews/photos have a general sense of what to expect. I've also visited the lobby and watched the exterior go through its renovation over the past few years of visiting Shanghai. (Had a booking during Expo but the hotel wasn't finished and ended up at the IC Expo.)

Can anyone provide details about the Gold floor amenities and range of food and drink in the lounge? I might spend the additional 800Rmb for the offered upgrade to a Gold Suite. Would it be worth the $130 versus cost of food and drink in the hotel restaurant?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Can anyone provide details about the Gold floor amenities and range of food and drink in the lounge? I might spend the additional 800Rmb for the offered upgrade to a Gold Suite. Would it be worth the $130 versus cost of food and drink in the hotel restaurant?
These are the benefits copied from its website

Fairmont Gold Services:

Concierge services:
6:30am - 11:00pm (weekday)
7:00am - 11:00pm (weekends)
Private Fairmont Gold Lounge on the 9th Floor
Food and Beverage Presentations in the Fairmont Gold Lounge include:
Complimentary bountiful deluxe continental breakfast serve
6:30 am - 10:00 am (weekdays)
7:00 am - 11:00 am (weekends)
Afternoon Tea served 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Complimentary hors d’oeuvres served 5:30pm - 7:30pm
In – lounge bar service from 2pm - 10pm
Complimentary local calls and no service charge applied to long distance credit card calls
Complimentary high-speed internet and Wireless access
Complimentary shoeshine service
Latest fashion magazines and books are available in the Fairmont Gold lounge
Turndown service: Enhanced evening service is available between the hours of 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Should an alternate time be required, kindly inform a Fairmont Gold team member on duty
Butler service: Your Fairmont Gold Butler is on hand to assist you with any requirements including, but not limited to, unpacking/packing of luggage and shoeshine.

Amenities on Request

The following amenities may be available in selected guest rooms and are on request basis only.

Adjoining rooms
Crib
Rollaway bed
Juliette balcony
Patio
Sofa-bed
Children amenities (please contact concierge to arrange)
Pet amenities (please contact concierge to arrange)

I find the food offering is of higher standard than say a typical 5-star hotel's exec lounge. Pan-fried duck foie gras with asparagus, poached salmon filets, made to order egg station, you get the idea. And the bar service starts from 2pm onwards, so you can drink your fill from afternoon . You can't really compare to a full service restaurant but if you intend to save on a few dinners from the hotel's restaurant then it might be worth it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
If anyone has Chase card (Sapphire?) and has access to their Luxury Hotel collection, Fairmont Peace Shanghai is there.

https://explorelhrcollection.com/

The benefits are really great, especially if you book Gold room.
I'm surprised they have double (tiered) benefits like this:

• Full Breakfast for two Daily in Dragon & Phoenix
• CNY 600 Food and Beverage Credit, per Room, per Stay
• One Afternoon tea, per Person, per Stay
• Entrance to the Jazz Bar with reserved Seating and one Drink, per Person, per Stay
• One Hour Spa Treatment or CNY 600 Spa Credit, per Person, per Stay (When Booking Fairmont Gold)

I'm still deciding if i should split my stay here, or stay both nights at the Waldorf.
Both are somewhat historic property, and close to the Bund i believe?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomy77
If anyone has Chase card (Sapphire?) and has access to their Luxury Hotel collection, Fairmont Peace Shanghai is there.

https://explorelhrcollection.com/

The benefits are really great, especially if you book Gold room.
I'm surprised they have double (tiered) benefits like this:

• Full Breakfast for two Daily in Dragon & Phoenix
• CNY 600 Food and Beverage Credit, per Room, per Stay
• One Afternoon tea, per Person, per Stay
• Entrance to the Jazz Bar with reserved Seating and one Drink, per Person, per Stay
• One Hour Spa Treatment or CNY 600 Spa Credit, per Person, per Stay (When Booking Fairmont Gold)

I'm still deciding if i should split my stay here, or stay both nights at the Waldorf.
Both are somewhat historic property, and close to the Bund i believe?
Waldorf has a historic part (with a few suites and the F&B areas) and a new tower. If I were to choose between the two- I would vote for the Peace.

Both are directly on the Bund.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Had a nice stay here last night. Spa/Gym is beautiful - a very good Spa promotion going on right now (90 minute facial/massage combo for about $120) - considering the quality of their products (I know you can get $20 massages here in the streets)

Got suite 666 with my suite upgrade no view but a nice room. They gave me an option of a noisy suite on the 1st floor if I wanted a view.

The only thing I didn't like was breakfast. It seems they put breakfast inclusive guests in the chinese restaurant on the 8th floor which doesn't have enough seating (I had to wait 15 minutes - unless I wanted to share a large table with others) and generally had a pretty mediocre/boring offering. My omelette was undercooked and they didn't have gluten free bread (they said I should have given 3 hours notice)
Old May 16, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Thread hasn't been updated in 6 years.
Anyone stayed here since they got taken over by accor ?
Old May 16, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Thread hasn't been updated in 6 years.
Anyone stayed here since they got taken over by accor ?
i can provide some update, many members based in china reporting back saying hotel will not provide free breakfast for accor platinum, unless they book the breakfast included rate or gold room.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by jiunsoh
i can provide some update, many members based in china reporting back saying hotel will not provide free breakfast for accor platinum, unless they book the breakfast included rate or gold room.
That's not good news.
Looks like it might be better to email them beforehand to confirm the breakfast situation.

Either way, if they are denying plat benefits, accor head office need to be informed and made aware.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by jiunsoh
Obviously a poorly managed hotel.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.