FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Victory House London, MGallery by Sofitel [no longer an Accor hotel] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1894411-victory-house-london-mgallery-sofitel-no-longer-accor-hotel.html)

craigc Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am

Victory House London, MGallery by Sofitel [no longer an Accor hotel]

Hi
Has anyone stayed here?
This opened quite late after it's original planned opening in Q2 last year.

I have booked for late March - interested if anyone has stayed - if not will write up a report once I get back!

hotel_user Mar 20, 2018 4:33 am

Booked for April

Originally Posted by craigc (Post 29427835)
Hi
Has anyone stayed here?
This opened quite late after it's original planned opening in Q2 last year.

I have booked for late March - interested if anyone has stayed - if not will write up a report once I get back!

I have just booked for a stay in early May

Will let you know how we get on.

It was difficult to get reply from hotel via e mail. The booking process has taken 3 weeks. I asked a few questions before I booked.

craigc Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I just arrived - they gave me a double upgrade to a Deluxe Suite and there are various minibar snacks/items for free.
The room is not that big even though it is very comfy and I look forward to the breakfast tomorrow.
Will report back after stay.

IMH Mar 21, 2018 5:56 am

Originally Posted by craigc (Post 29548435)
I just arrived - they gave me a double upgrade to a Deluxe Suite and there are various minibar snacks/items for free.

Nice upgrade. :) Enjoy your stay and we look forward to your report!

Goldorak Mar 21, 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 29550042)
Nice upgrade. :) Enjoy your stay and we look forward to your report!

with a minimum of 50 pictures ;)

craigc Mar 23, 2018 9:53 am

Overall great stay at MGallery Victory House London

Check In Check in was smooth and was awarded a double upgrade due to Platinum memebrship Room The room was great if a bit small - good bathroom with Co Bigelow toiletries. Dining I had breakfast all three mornings.There is a decent buffet selection, the staff come and take your coffee order and offer a hot item from the menu - mostly egg-based dishes (4 or 5 to choose from) Overall The location is great BUT the surrounding clubs and noise of Leicester Square can prove a problem. I was on 5th floor and still heard the noise from the club on my second night and really the windows are not thick enough to compensate.I wrote a complaint but yet to hear - will update if I do.

starflyergold Mar 23, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks for the review craigc but if that's a double upgrade how small would your regular room be? :eek:

Goldorak Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for this review craigc. What was the room category you were upgraded to ?

IMH Mar 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 29559757)
Thanks for this review craigc. What was the room category you were upgraded to ?

I'm guessing it was something like a Deluxe Suite. :D

Originally Posted by craigc (Post 29548435)
I just arrived - they gave me a double upgrade to a Deluxe Suite [...]

Goldorak Mar 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 29559762)
I'm guessing it was something like a Deluxe Suite. :D

:D Sorry, I was looking into the review and did not notice that craigc mentioned it in another post before.
It is really small for a Deluxe suite.

craigc Mar 25, 2018 7:03 am

Just to update...
I received a reply today that was very comprehensive and also offered a partial refund.
I appreciated the sincerity of the email and the gesture was a good level.
​​​

IMH Mar 25, 2018 8:08 am

Originally Posted by craigc (Post 29564320)
I received a reply today that was very comprehensive and also offered a partial refund.​​​

To clarify: this was in respect of the noise, right? I can't see anything else in your review that could lead to an offer of compensation (although of course anyone who pays for a "Deluxe Suite" is unlikely to be impressed).

craigc Mar 25, 2018 10:54 am

Correct - the noise kept me up for one night.
The rest of my stay was great and the staff really make the hotel.

savonarola Mar 25, 2018 2:37 pm

I was considering booking this hotel, but became a bit worried with this noise issue. Would you say it was an isolated incident or is it bound to happen again? Maybe they should change the windows?

craigc Mar 25, 2018 2:47 pm

They have advise they are changing the windows - you can ask for a room not facing LSq the corner rooms are best to avoid - rest should be fine.

It was only one night out of the four I was there and they have confirmed they are improving the windows in near future.

hotel_user Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I am there in early May, and will update on the window / noise situation.

I have been to book in person at the hotel, as I could not book on the website for some reason or other.

rfrost Apr 1, 2018 5:58 pm

I would think Friday and Saturday nights would be the riskiest for noise.

m3dic Apr 28, 2018 3:40 pm

I stayed there last week and I can honestly say it was the worst hotel experience I have had in some time. I am a Le Club Accor member and booked through the website. I prepayed my reservation. I arrived to a very tiny lobby with two clerks using laptops. I stood there waiting to check in while other people went in front of me to claim left luggage. One of the two clerks left to go fetch luggage, leaving one clerk to deal with customers. Only after I was the only one standing there did the clerk look up from his laptop. "Are you waiting for someone?' he asked.

I was given a small, shabby and noisy room. Not worth the money I paid.

I was there for four nights and must have walked in and out of the front door a couple dozen times. At no time did anyone at the desk look up from their computer to say "hello" or "good morning."

There was no doorman, no concierge, no bellman. It is not a four star hotel.

I have sent back my Le Club Accor card. They can keep the points. I feel cheated by Accor Hotels. I will take my business elsewhere.

Goldorak Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am

Originally Posted by m3dic (Post 29694038)
I have sent back my Le Club Accor card. They can keep the points. I feel cheated by Accor Hotels. I will take my business elsewhere.

So based on one bad experience, you throw away a whole chain with 4300 hotels worldwide ?? :confused: :rolleyes:
Be prepared to not stay anywhere, because I know a lot of bad to very bad Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Mariott, etc etc hotels.

tris06 Apr 29, 2018 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 29695197)
So based on one bad experience, you throw away a whole chain with 4300 hotels worldwide ?? :confused: :rolleyes:
Be prepared to not stay anywhere, because I know a lot of bad to very bad Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Mariott, etc etc hotels.

Just another rant to be honest. Why do people bother when it helps no one. I already looked at this property up online.
It is expensive because of its location very central but cheap compared to Sofitel St James which is really pricey.

I have seen the rooms online and was not overly impressed and from the details actually sounded small.
Hence I traded the central London location to get a location not far from the city center at Novotel Canary wharf where the price suited the expectation
of a more decent room/suite. Not cheap still but the location was not as expensive.

I am also having to keep my expectations lowish for New York Sofitel as again it is the location which is expensive.
Spending 600 aud per night however and maybe I will need to do plenty of tipping on top of that.

Can I ask others if tipping at Sofitel New York is required? Do they pay the staff more a European like salary or just like most hotels in USA where tips are essential to top up their income?
Cheers!

Goldorak Apr 29, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by tris06 (Post 29695355)
Hence I traded the central London location to get a location not far from the city center at Novotel Canary wharf where the price suited the expectation of a more decent room/suite. Not cheap still but the location was not as expensive.

I did the same. I wanted to go to London for a weekend and booked at the Novotel Canary Wharf. I really like this hotel and they always treated me very well. And their restaurant is top notch. The rates in Canary Wharf are much lower during the weekend, so it can really be a good plan.

tris06 Apr 29, 2018 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 29695838)

I did the same. I wanted to go to London for a weekend and booked at the Novotel Canary Wharf. I really like this hotel and they always treated me very well. And their restaurant is top notch. The rates in Canary Wharf are much lower during the weekend, so it can really be a good plan.

Yes the rates in the center of the city just want to make me vomit for what they offer. Airport Sofitels are very reasonable however. Yes the restaurant I think is good however it may not be everyone's taste.

jimmygottfredson Apr 30, 2018 6:44 pm

On another note regarding the Victory House, I have a Friday night in October I'm looking to stay (for the first time) at this property. Rate is around 200 GBP. Does this sound like a good rate? It's a superior room and I'll be plat by that time. Thanks!

Goldorak May 1, 2018 1:21 am

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson (Post 29701079)
On another note regarding the Victory House, I have a Friday night in October I'm looking to stay (for the first time) at this property. Rate is around 200 GBP. Does this sound like a good rate? It's a superior room and I'll be plat by that time. Thanks!

OK good that we're back on topic ;).
200 GBP is certainly not bad for central London. I hope your stay will be OK. Please report here.

starflyergold May 1, 2018 4:00 am

Mod note: Sofitel NYC related posts have moved here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...-new-york.html

starflyergold
Le Club Accorhotels forum moderator

hotel_user May 1, 2018 2:31 pm

Just had the inclusive breakfast at the hotel.( Its a bit confusing as basically the inclusive breakfast seems to be a full English plus the cold selection of fruits and meats on offer - the menu has different options at differing prices but we were told anything on menu ) I will do a full review later, but just have to say that tipping was seen ( £10 ) for the breakfast service from an American couple.

hotel_user May 1, 2018 2:33 pm

Very small from personal experience - don't think we got an upgrade but were told we did.

hotel_user May 2, 2018 2:10 pm

Victory House

Introduction Victory HouseOverall we enjoyed our short one night stay. However there was just a few too many slight niggles to have made the stay stress free and enjoyable. We are unsure if we received a room upgrade.It took a few minutes to find the entrance to the hotel. They are in a listed building, so not allowed a full sign. The name of the hotel is however shown on the door mat. You had to know where it was to see it.( For future reference it is opposite the Premier Inn ).Checkin was slow. The computer system was apparantly "down", and things had to be done by hand and a laptop.The reception area was no more than a coridore which at times looked and acted like a left luggage office for a taxi compnay. We were allocated our rooms on the top floor. I was mistaken for a maintance person as I kept beeing asked for the master key for the rooms by members of the hotel. The room ( and hotel ) were very hot. There was no opening windows in the hotel, and no air flow. The room did have air conditioning, but we had to call someone ( first time ever ) to show us how to operate it. It did then work.The room lacked a chair or two and some working space for a laptop and plug sockets - but then it had a massive central piller making the room lay out in an already cramped and small room very difficult. The TV was attached to the piller and the bed was wedged up against this.View from the top floor room was of a big peice of stonework. ie, no view. There was also no Nespresso machine or anything other than a bottle of water and 1/4 pint of milk in the room fridge.This is an upmarket top end hotel in a prestigius location. The service and standards let it down. We did not see any door persons.Alarm call. Booked with reception and it was written down. However we did not receive it - computer error was the excuse.They advertise a turn down and room cleaning service twice a day. Not provided.The water pressure was very very poor.There was no welcome gift in room for Platinum members.Fruit bowl had over ripe fruit. Amenity kits and extra shower gel had to be asked for ( good qulaity though )Breakfast was included in the room rate, but this was very confusing to the staff in the resturant. ( the computer was still down )The dining area is so small ( it is called a peteite resturnat by name ) that breakfast was being served in the reception areaI felt embarrised that we did not tip ( £10 was given by table next to us )Breakfast staff were very friendly and amenable - but also very very forgetfull. It took many attements to be served basic breakfast items such as tosat - and this was cold and just piled on a plateThe full English I ordered was poor value ( it was advertised at £24 ) and the eggs benedict were served on what appered to be stale muffins( By contrast the Sofitel St James was similar in price breakfast and faultless )The French pastries were the smallest I have ever seen, and also were not as fresh as they could have been.The hotel is still experiancing ongoing construction / matanince work and the workmen seemed to have filled the very small rception area making it unusable for receiving visitors. There was no other lounge / guest space.We had asked for a late checkout, but were disturbed by the cleaner at 11:30am asking us to vacate the room.Twice. Not enjoyable or nessasary.On the positive the bed it self was very confatable, and we had a good nights sleep. We did not suffer any noise from outside but this was a monday night.There was no pillow menu. This hotel is not the MGallary standard, but it is in a very central location, and is considerably cheaper ( £200 per room compared to £350 plus ) than other hotels in the area.

Goldorak May 2, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you guys for your reviews of this hotel. Clearly, I prefer to stick to Novotel Canary Wharf even if the location is not not as good as this one for tourism of course. Sofitel St James is very nice but too expensive for my personal budget.

fransknorge May 3, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks for this review. This hotel was convenient and good price for a business stay I have in a few weeks but based on this I will spend 20 EUR more and go to Doubletree (the 20 EUR more will cover for the included breakfast).

IMH Nov 13, 2018 2:20 am

This brief report won't add much to what has been written above, but might serve to reinforce the impressions recorded by previous guests: this hotel isn't up to MGallery standard and doesn't have much to recommend it.

We wouldn't normally have booked a stay here, given the comments in this thread. So why did we? Because we were booking a single London night at rather short notice and everything was expensive. If a night at one of our usual Mercures or Novotels was going to cost £300, we thought, why not try something new and more luxurious?

Except that this property is not luxurious. Platinum brought us an upgrade from "superior" to "deluxe" but the room was still tiny and lacked what I would consider to be basic amenities in a hotel of this category, such as slippers and flannels (washcloths). When I say the room was "tiny", I mean around 20 m² -- but without the charm of a small Paris room or the clever use of space typically found in Japan.

The miniature safe was not large enough for a baby iPad, let alone a laptop or an A4 folder. The TV looked impressive, but all the channels we could find were decidedly low-def. There was no welcome amenity. The room was 'scented' by diffuser sticks that I found faintly repellent.

Positive: The bed was comfortable and we received a (handwritten) drinks voucher without having to ask.

IMH Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am

patrickw has posted a lukewarm review in the 2018 "elite experiences" master thread, here.

kiez Mar 15, 2019 5:03 pm

I guess the Hotel has (will soon) leave Accor?
Website seems to not start anymore?

No longer bookable on Accor?

Did it go bust?

hotel_user Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by kiez (Post 30892304)
I guess the Hotel has (will soon) leave Accor?
Website seems to not start anymore?

No longer bookable on Accor?

Did it go bust?

Looks like it has gone from Accor.

IMHO it will not be missed.

The new hotel website is here ..... draw your own conclusions

https://www.victoryhouselondon.com/

Dav77 Mar 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Looking at those pictures ...difficult to understand how this property can be a Mgallery, even if located in one of the best area for tourism in London

hotel_user Mar 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77 (Post 30892370)
Looking at those pictures ...difficult to understand how this property can be a Mgallery, even if located in one of the best area for tourism in London

It was the high room price with no status recognition and a lot of meh. It would have been better as just a Mercure

It had potential but something obviously went totally wrong. The location is spot on though.

We still "laugh" about when my OH was asked if he had fixed the lifts when we were waiting to check in by other guests .....

starflyergold Mar 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Accor don't seem to have a lot of luck with the MGallery brand in London. First the St. Ermin's Hotel, now this. Judging from the reviews no great loss though.