Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Hertz #1 Club Gold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 1999, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Free Hertz #1 Club Gold

If you go to their website to enroll, there is a page where you can tell them if you saw an ad in a magazine for free enrollment. If you click one of the magazines, it just brings you to a page to enter your information - no code required!!!

Also, if anyone has any United one segment confirmed upgrade certificates, please email me!
Old Apr 6, 1999, 7:59 pm
Original Member

I work for a small business, and I talked with Hertz about setting up a corporate account and a corporate rate. The Hertz lady sent me half a dozen free #1 Club memberships. If it's that easy, everyone should get it. The point of these clubs is to build brand loyalty, so I don't understand why they just don't give that stuff away.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 9:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I agree. Paying Hertz (or Avis) for membership in the Gold or Preferred Renter program is ludicrous. The car rental firms actually save money with Gold members because they don't have to have quite as large a check-in staff. If they ask you to pay for membership, tell them you are already a member of the other guy's program and will continue to rent from them if you are not granted complimentary membership.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 6:58 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Though my AMEX Platinum Card gets me some of the memberships, I have managed to accrue gold/preferred/priority memberships with:

Alamo
Avis
Hertz
Budget
National

Avis is my company's agency of choice, but when traveling for personal reasons I'll check all of the agencies to get the best rate.

Avis has offered free Preferred membership through their website for a while now at http://www.avis.com/programs_and_ser...s/pref_renter/ .
Old Apr 7, 1999, 7:09 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of Hertz #1 Gold?

I have never bothered with any car hire schemes, as I have never understood the advantages.
Nick

Old Apr 7, 1999, 7:42 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
main advantage:

time saving

at many (major) airports:
- go directly to the Hertz (courtesy) bus
- tell the driver your name
- the bus stops at a special Hertz#1 station at the rental-car-park
- your car waits (under canopy-protection) the rear already open, the key there, papers in the car
- you drive off and at the exit-gate you show the contract and your driving license - that's it.

No queing anywhere, no waiting (except for the bus ...), no paper-war.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Ah but queuing is a national pasttime in UK! Couldn't possibly be an advantage to bypass the queue!
Old Apr 7, 1999, 10:19 am
Original Member

Rudi, as usual, has it right.

Only disadvantage to gold canopy service is I'm not able to ask the counter person "What's on special today?" On occasion, I've been able to get Lincolns, Mustang convertibles, RAV4s, etc., at either the same mid-size car rate, or just a few dollars more. Hertz sometimes does this when they ahave a surplus of premium cars and not enough "regular" cars. So, if you do find yourself in line, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hey! Come to think of it, it's like getting bumped up to first class 'cause coach is overbooked.

Still, being able to do this once every 2 or 3 months doesn't make up for the advantages of avoiding the queue.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 10:50 am

BB: Tutt, tutt, tutt. Actually I always book any hire cars through BA and the nice man from Avis or Hertz brings the car to the kerb-side or collection point about 10 mins after you land and hands you the keys.

Therefore I didn't appreciate you have to queue. I had never heard of any of this bus business either.

Omni Warning:

BB, when are you going to return that statue of a certain ex-chancellor of Germany?

Nick

Old Apr 7, 1999, 5:24 pm

I've used #1 club for business rentals, but don't see the advantages when I take a car out on a personal basis (and therefore want to use my Diners card to get the free insurance and pay for the hire).... other than the canopy deal.

Also for Merry's benefit - I always use BA to book my cars in the UK when coming from the US, they have the best rates with whomever is their preferred vendor (used to be Alamo, now Avis - $19/day midsize is not to be sneezed at in UK!)
Old Apr 8, 1999, 9:03 am
Original Member

Steinerboy -- There's no reason you couldn't also file with Hertz #1 Gold your Diners Club number and instruct them to use it for your personal rentals. My business rentals go on my corporate AmEx card whilst my personal rentals go on my personal AmEx card. I've never had any difficulty.

I like the #1 Gold service; it's quick, efficient and eliminates one more line from my life. Now I am quite spoiled and wouldn't go back to the regular counter.

In the U.K., however, I've found an even better way. I simply instruct my hotel to arrange to have a car delivered to the hotel so I don't have to bother with pick-up which obviates a number of hassles. Likewise, I don't have to bother with returning the rental, either. I simply leave it in the hotel parking. When I check in, I give the concierge my drivers license so he can fax a copy to the rental firm. The ultimate in no-hassle car renting. Not inexpensive, yet not as pricey as you might think. I wouldn't dream of doing this in London but one never needs a car in London. It worked beautifully in York, Llyswen, Rye and East Grinstead.

Whilst on the topic of car rentals, the very worst airports in the U.S. viz. rental hassle, confusion and aggravation are Boston's Logan and Orlando.
Old Apr 8, 1999, 8:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, UA PLT
Rental Hassles? I think the new SFO rental system is racing to the top of the charts with complaints.

All of the rental counters are together off site and a terribly-crowded-inconvenient-bus-ride-up-101 away. Once you get to the end of the bus line, you have a nice long walk to the counters. I think there will be a rail link (similar to EWR) set up in the future, but for now, I'll take #1 service at SJC. Perhaps about 200 meters from the metal detectors and no stairs if you are flying in on AA, Southwest, or Reno.

[This message has been edited by chipper (edited 04-08-99).]
Old Apr 9, 1999, 12:19 am

My Executive Platinum on AA brings free Hertz #1 Club Gold (and Avis, Budget and National).

The Gold Service is great ... nice and speedy. The only drawback I've found -- they can't (translation: don't) store your frequent flyer number. You have to give it every time you make a reservation. I've missed out on quite a few miles by forgetting to give it!
Old Apr 9, 1999, 1:19 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
It (UA#) is stored with my profile - and it works with me, at least as long as, when I make the reservation, I mention (on the phone) or write (online) my incoming UA-flight information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.