Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Are Airplanes Safe Enough?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2002, 2:37 am
Original Poster

"Are Airplanes Safe Enough?"

Mechanics are squawking that airlines are skimping on maintenance. Crash statistics don't bear out their complaints—yet. - Forbes.com 04.01.02

"United flight 9921... the front passenger door on the Boeing 737 wouldn't close... the mechanic... found... The door was falling off... One of UAL's maintenance subcontractors had forgotten to connect all the bolts when the jet was overhauled the week before.

United 737 flew 17 flights from Mar. 25 to Apr. 3, 2001 with parts of its fuel system missing or improperly installed...

American Airlines completed 198 flights with inoperable backup batteries to power the emergency aircraft lighting...

For now, at least, the data suggest that air safety is improving..."

Article: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/0401/052_print.html

Fatalities Graph: http://www.forbes.com/images/forbes/...rt_426_300.gif

[This message has been edited by Ew/oQ (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why are you continually posting general aviation items here in the AC forum? You have continued to do this over the past several months, and I for one wish you would stop and post on the FT fora which have been designed for such items. This forum is for AC and Aeroplan subjects and discussions, along with commercial airline-related services operated by other carriers within, into and out of Canada. Your posts are overly general, and in almost every case relate to US new stories which themselves have little applicability to Canada.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you just add to the irrelevance and clutter.

If you wish to participate in this forum, at least provide us with some legitimate information about yourself and your travel patterns and airline prefernces, and don't just hide behind an anonymous hotmail address.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shareholder:
Why are you continually posting general aviation items here in the AC forum?...
Sorry to be so blunt, but you just add to the irrelevance and clutter.

Point taken.

Just got a ADSL modem at home and have been looking for ways to use it. I will narrow the focus in the future.

To help solve the issue, recently I have started to use quotation marks when starting topics that are clips from articles. You probably don't want to click through when you see " in the title block.

If you wish to participate in this forum, at least provide us with some legitimate information about yourself and your travel patterns and airline prefernces, and don't just hide behind an anonymous hotmail address. [This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 03-17-2002).]

Two worries initially about "coming out" when joining FT last year...
1) Spam from address harvesters and
2) Uncle Miltie's reaction to "creative ticketing" which involves 100% of my travel preferences.
MHD is no more because of sharing of travel preferences. I would hate to see the few remaining gaping holes fixed and start paying more than last year's average of 27% of Y.

Ew/oQ

PS Checked my "list the address everywhere spammers lurk" hotmail account and find that Microsoft has closed the account since it has been more than 30 days. Sorry. I will create a new one and relist it.

[This message has been edited by Ew/oQ (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:35 pm

Is this really necessary and relevant to a forum on AC ?

I fail to see how your new modem and e-mail acct is a topic that would be of general interest to a forum on AC.

Am I missing something here????

[This message has been edited by nobody-elite (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:45 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I didn't want to jump in but...

Shareholder, I am sure Ew/oQ meant no harm when he posted these news items. He probably just wants to share what he read with us. I just don't see the need to be so blunt at him. Can't you just thank him for posting the news items and then kindly redirect him to post it to the "News" forum instead?

Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:47 pm

Empress.. in fairness to Shareholder, it was I who mentioned the new items...

Didn't want Shareholder to be blamed for what I had posted...smile

(lol) you had said new"S" items...and I said new items... this is getting to actually be funny... sorry everyone.. amazing the difference of a simple letter "s"

Old Mar 17, 2002, 8:12 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

nobody-elite: I was responding to Shareholder posts above, not yours.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 8:14 pm

... boring
This just proves that AC is the safest airline

Let's change topic and talk about something more useful like...hmm...hmm

Did you know that the new $20 charge to bring guests in MLL is not in effect until
April 1, 2002. My understanding was that they are gonna have "certs" that you can buy same as Rapidair U/G Certs. If this is not in effect until April 1, then I assume that Elites can still bring in guests...

Is this more interesting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.