Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So sorry, my apologies ---

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2000, 12:31 am
Original Poster

So sorry, my apologies ---

To all of you who posted a response to my previous question (What if?...).
Boy, did I deserve alot of that criticism.
Therefore, I sincerely and contritely, apologize for that "groveling, grubbing wannabe" statement. I take it back because I am well aware you high, medium, low and non-accruing mileage fliers butter my bread.
I'd like to clear up a few things though -
MileJunkie - regardless of where I post from I do not hail from Queens, NY. My guess is though that you don't like New Yorkers ?
Jeff S - I admit my statement was immature but I am not. I have 29 HAPPY years with my employer airline.
Jon Toner - Definitely right - ALL airlines need to treat people like passengers and not cargo. See more below.
Punki - Also right - Revenue passengers bring revenue and airline employees do not. However, we do pay service charges (which are not "taxes" as people love to call them). Domestically we get away cheap but internationally they are not so low. Buddy passes (that the airlines allow us to give to others) do bring them substantial revenue. Employees or others on passes of course have to standby and this can be very stomach churning. The only solution is to be well prepared by traveling off-peak and/or being prepared to standby for many flights, nail-biting long hours etc.
Aside from that stupid remark I made, my major point (I guess I didn't make it) should have been that I wish the airlines would treat people better than cargo. However, I feel they have expectations and promises they cannot keep. They are practically at the saturation point now - Not enough airplanes, not enough airports, airports that need expansion but no room to do so etc. and I just feel that the mileage thing creates false promises to many people who will never get their upgrades because you can't put 50 lbs of sugar in a 30 lb bag.
One more thing to all who were offended - we airline employees are also human - I have had thousands of nice people in front of me - the majority the FF's. However I have had many who are total insensitive bufoons and morons who think they can act, react, say anything (shouting, cursing at me) if their day is affected by flight problems I cannot control. And, I've had to keep that smile plastered on my face through the whole thing so I don't get hauled on the carpet to my supervisor for having offended anyone, ever.
Sincerely and with kindest regards to all,
Misstree.
P.S. Can you please forgive me so I can keep posting ???
Old Jan 1, 2000, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's to forgive? Post at your discretion!
Old Jan 1, 2000, 4:21 am
Original Member

Right on, PremEx. misstree, you just post all you want. Opinions have never been in short supply here.
Old Jan 1, 2000, 6:55 am
In Memoriam

Misstree, you are most welcome here. Your unfortunate choice of words was no more or less than many others have done and it is not a hanging offense. You sound like a very nice and reasonable lady and heaven knows (Nathan knows a bit about the place as well as something about Angelic Airlines AGL) all of us will be helped by your "insider" view
of comments made here. You will find this often motley bunch of mileage nuts very tolerant for the most part, especially with regard to behaviour and courtesy matters, but a bit less so for what many see as the bloody mindedness of airline managements. So, welcome to the motley bunch and please do join in and help them (us). God's peace to all in this new century.
Old Jan 1, 2000, 9:25 am
dg1

Don't worry -- if you're gonna post to this bboard with any opinions someone's gonna bite your head off. It's just a sign of the times... Shrug it off and move on.

As per Queens, I lived there for the first eighteen years of my life and I have the same opinion as MilesJunkie so
Old Jan 1, 2000, 9:48 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Misstree, thanks for the apology. Unlike some I do not think it is okay to disparage certain passengers in general by say it it is the expression of an opinion. I think that we all want to make flying a pleasant experience, which is often not an easy task. If so it begins with employees treating customers with respect AND pax treating employees kindly and not berating them for matters out of their control. My mother was a waitress for 60 years and she taught me much about how important service. And we have seen so many examples of how patience and kindness are so much more effective. There is certainly room for criticism, but it should be specific to certain boorish behavior or lack of service or incompetence ; and not treating any group in general with disdain.

[This message has been edited by Lurch (edited 01-01-2000).]
Old Jan 1, 2000, 10:47 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Misstree,

I understand how everyone feels recently. I have thought about how the airline employees are treated as more people flood the airlines. So with more misconnections, poorer service, and more crowds, I can imagine what you go through. It is probably very crazy and chaotic... so therefore it makes sense why someone would want to go back to simpler days... Also, the mileage programs are a great target for the everyone upset on how things change.

So, thank you for the great service... and we understand it is not the employees who are the problems... it is the airlines trying to maximize profits...... so thanks for a great post..
Old Jan 1, 2000, 11:14 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I wish the airlines would treat people better than cargo. However, I feel they have expectations and promises they cannot keep.
While we all have our momements of frustrations, I myself do not agree with the statement. My main expectation with an airline is to get from point A to B safely, and not to have a gourmet 5 course meal dressed in a 3 piece suit. I have enjoyed a lot of upgrades and free travel from airlines.
Old Jan 1, 2000, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Misstree:

As PremEx said, post at your discretion. I read your post and think it's a valid consideration--despite any agreement/disagreement.

You should expect others to disagree with your view: that's often how some of these threads generate the best of discussion.

Indeed it sparked some good discussion.
Old Jan 1, 2000, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Misstree, please keep posting. We all have our own opinions and that's what makes people so special to be around.
Old Jan 2, 2000, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
to misstree!
Old Jan 2, 2000, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I also agree...post ahoy. The perspective that you have is valuable to this board, and quieting you seems an awful lot like censorship. And while the comments you made may seem rude on the surface, I've seen a heck of a lot worse posted by others here.
Old Jan 2, 2000, 6:36 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
True.. and at least she did not post the same thing on over 10 different forums... telling us to see her airline's website

LOL!
Old Jan 2, 2000, 6:38 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Thanks for your comments and your apology misstree, we won't bite you!
Old Jan 3, 2000, 7:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Sometimes one shows maturity by how they handle criticism. Keep posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.