Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ticketed Fare Decreases, Must I Pay Penalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum

Hoping one of you wise travelers can help me out. I have 4 tickets San Antonio to Istanbul. They each went down in price about $130. Called DL and asked if I may have a voucher for the 130. They said there is no way around the $150 penalty each to reissue tickets. I did not want cash, but a voucher.

On another thread I started about increased air prices I was given this info by a helpful member of FT:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Family flyer:
[B] On any major airline, if your fare decreases you can get a voucher for the difference without paying a change fee.

Go to the site below and see Rules of the Air on the left side of the page: http://www.1travel.com

I went to the link above which seems to state that according to Rule 1C/32nd revised page DL-2 I am entitled to 4 vouchers in the amount of $130 each.

I read rules of my fare on the DL site and it said a charge of $150 is applicable for "reissue/revalidation"

DL agent quoted p. 48, display 225, line 10. Says DL is entitled to an "administrative charge". She kept saying that any rules I found anywhere on the internet are not DL's rules and did not apply. How does one see the page she quoted from?

So which way is it? I have never been successful in the past without paying the administrative charge. Yet I think I have read in more than one place on FT that it is possible.

Suggestions please and thanks!

[This message has been edited by paradocs (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:56 am
GG

moved this to the Delta forum

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old Jan 22, 2001, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
My experience (and I have a lot in this area) has been that Delta will normally issue a voucher for a fare difference on a domestic ticket without any change fee. That may not be true for internet specials, however. I haven't run into that yet. I currently hold three electronic Delta vouchers for fare reductions on domestic tickets. They expire after a year.

On international tickets, they insist on collecting the $150 change fee under all circumstances. Therefore, unless your fare drops by a very unlikely large amount, you cannot come out ahead. I have never succeeded even in starting a discussion of waiving this international change fee. It's not going to happen. Period.

Bruce
Old Jan 22, 2001, 9:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Thanks Bruce and GG. It sounds pretty hopeless. I do want to make it clear that the fares were not internet specials. I bought thru DL 800#. Two of them I upgraded to bus. elite with points. I paid a higher price for those two.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 9:32 am

I'd try calling Delta again and see if you get a different answer. If you get the same answer after a couple more calls - you are probably out of luck.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 9:47 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
The 1travel.com rules are often out of date, the rules in effect at the time of ticketing are the ones that apply.

If you hold an airline ticket you have a right to a complete copy of the Contract of Carriage. If you travel frequently on an airline it's worth having a copy.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 12:21 pm

As I've mentioned before, UA does not assess any penalty at this time. Hearing what you are going through with Delta makes me wonder: is UA an exception? Is Delta a norm ? ( I know I should not use the words DL and norm in one sentence as it is almost an oxymoron ).
What are the rules at AA, NW, AS, etc?
Old Jan 22, 2001, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I have received vouchers through Delta for fare drops, but it was domestic, not international.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 4:40 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
I have received vouchers from UA (just this weekend, in fact) and AA whenever the fare drops and my same class of service is available. AA uses the term "roll-over" for the lower fare on the reissued ticket. No change fee applied.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 7:11 pm
vandykes44

I also received vouchers for international fare drops on Northwest.

Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:29 pm

As you're insistent on benefiting from a fare decrease, I assume you'd be happy to ante up a fare increase?

------------------
Craig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.