Wiki Posts
Search

Pay Taxes, Earn Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2001, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Pay Taxes, Earn Miles

Hi Everyone,

Many of you probably know this, however, I came across this great site which tells you how you can get miles while paying your taxes. The site's address is http://www.fly-free.com/paytaxes.html. Before you know it, tax season is right around the corner.

To pay Federal Income Taxes with any Frequent Flyer Credit Card, use one of the following Toll FREE numbers:
1-800-2PAY-TAX (272-9829) Official Payments Corp.
1-888-ALL-TAXX (255-8299) Phone Charge
Or online at:
www.officialpayments.com
www.about1888alltaxx.com

If anyone has any other great ways to get frequent flyer miles please let me know. I am very new at this and am still learning the ropes.

Thanks,
Old May 31, 2001, 2:07 pm

This topic sounds more like an AD, but I'll reply just to help keep everyone informed.

This company charges a 2.5% surcharge to pay by credit card. This effectively eliminates any benefit of the miles received.....
Old May 31, 2001, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks pointman,

I didn't think about the surcharge. Well their goes that brilliant idea. I thought I could cash in but I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Any other ideas?
Old May 31, 2001, 2:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
My town lets you pay property taxes (auto, house, boat, etc) with a credit card, but only if they have gone deleniquent. June 30th, can't do it, July 1st, you can pay with a card.

If you let them go delinquent anyways, then it's worth doing. I believe the interest is 1.5% per month, with a minimum of $2.50. Certainly not worth doing just for the miles, but if you miss the due date anyways, and since they don't take checks for delinquent taxes (money order, ATM, Credit or Cash only), then it makes some sense to get the miles too.

Old May 31, 2001, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003968.html for another discussion. Delta AMEX ran a double miles promo for tax payments earlier this year, which made it a reasonable proposition. The links are in the above-referenced thread.
Old May 31, 2001, 3:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Whether or not it's worth it really depends on how you use the miles. If you get a 25,000 mile domestic coach ticket, it barely pays if at all. However, if you apply the miles toward a round trip F class ticket to Europe, it's very worth it.
Old May 31, 2001, 11:24 pm

$100K in taxes = $2500 in fees.
100K points = 1 first class ticket = approx $8-$12,000

It's worth it.
Old Jun 2, 2001, 12:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:
$100K in taxes = $2500 in fees.
100K points = 1 first class ticket = approx $8-$12,000

It's worth it.
</font>
This topic has been beaten to death before, but the short version is: I know that I wouldn't pay $8,000 for a first class ticket, when I could pay $800 for a coach ticket on the same plane. Therefore, 100K miles is not worth that much to me. A more accurate assessment is based on how much you'd have to pay for tickets to accrue that many miles, and people a lot smarter than me have computed that to be $.02-$.025 per mile.
Old Jun 2, 2001, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
Yes, this subject has been beaten and beaten and beaten.

The value and use of points earned by paying taxes with a credit cards is a personal issue.

Please let this subject die

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.