Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ introduces "new" service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2000, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
NZ introduces "new" service

The onboard staff seem to refer to it as "new" service, so that is what I will call it.

Basically NZ have changed the food service in international economy - improved but not without some negatives.

Positives;
- detailed menus - smaller but similar in style to P/J (learn from this QF )
- actual plates and cups that match the "pacific class" style. So instead of a hot foil wrapped meal you get a pacific blue/green plate with the hot food added to the plate at time of serving, a real wine glass and a matching blue/green coffee cup. The result was one of the best presented and best tasting meals in Y (better than some recent experiences in J). It actually looks quite good - which is a surprise.

Negatives
- I did not experience this as I sat near the front of Y, but the FA reported that the meals sometimes become cool as the food is no longer wrapped in foil
- you receive little bottles of wine (montana), positive is you get more, negative is that the range is less and it is always from the one and same producer.
- while individually preparing the plate is a nice touch, it takes alot more time to serve. Hence people down the back are waiting longer.
- at breakfast you seem to get less food than in the past, and the choice between fruit and sausage/frittata is not overly exciting.

Hopefully the negatives are teething problems.

Also glad to report that NZ have re-introduced the policy where Gold Elites receive a free paper in the back that the cabin steward welcomes you on by name and thanks you at the end of the flight. Nice simple touch.

Mark
Old Apr 27, 2000, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Any idea what 1st is like on NZ?
Old Apr 28, 2000, 10:28 am

Thanks for the info! I do not realize that AirNZ has menu service for Y class in long-haul flights. That is nice to know. IF Air NZ continues to follow Qantas' trend, there will be no menu service soon. QF has cancelled the Y class menus since January, 00.

Any improvement with J class! Still menus on AKL-BNE service!

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Apr 28, 2000, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
1st on NZ is very nice in terms of food, wine and service, BUT only on the newest 747-400 do they have a fully reclining bed style seat - the others have a seat that is almost flat but not quite and is more of a seat than the newer shell style designs of QF/BA/SQ etc. Also the choose your own video system is still the sony "walkman" style rather than the programmable in seat video.

Carfield,

I have not noticed any improvements in J, same old excellent service and meal selections.

Menus in J trans-tasman are still the hard cardboard 13cm by 20cm style. You get a separate menu for wine and an another menu for food. With descriptions in-depth descriptions and comments by the chef. These are still the same style and selection as for long-haul SYD/LAX/LHR style flights, which means that you will be entertained with food for most of your flight.

I doubt very much that NZ will be following QFs trend. Very different airlines with a very different focus.

Mark

Old Apr 30, 2000, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info!

Air NZ looks like a very good airline and I am looking forward to my first flight with them soon this summer.

Thanks,
Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.