Wiki Posts
Search

'Free ticket' just got less free

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 1999, 1:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

'Free ticket' just got less free

I've just been trying to book a reward ticket on BA between the UK and Europe (I'm UK based). Now I knew to expect to pay a departure tax in cash thanks to our government at the same time as booking. What I did'nt expect was to be stung for a Passenger Service Charge as well.

Now I knew this new 'tax' was coming as from April 1st. And I know how to avoid it if I lived where I had a choice of airports (departing from one that charges on arrival, and arriving at another that charges for departure) - which I don't. I did'nt however appreciate that this would also be applied to reward tickets.

I'm not sure if PSC is just a UK thing, but it is a fee that used to be included in the price of the ticket before tax, but now the airlines are showing it separate from the ticket price. Therefore, it used to be included in the reward part of the ticket, but now isn't. Do you think the airlines have reduce the cost of reward seats in miles ????!!!!

Whats next ??? A fuel levy for the cost of all the fuel ? How about a pilot fee or a hostess charge? I'm sure with some thought the airlines could recoup the entire cost of a 'free' ticket.

Tim
Old Apr 13, 1999, 6:19 am
Original Member

be fair now, those fees are cash outlays by the airlines to provide that service. If they absorb them, well, they'd just offer fewer seats. I wonder if this is a UK/US split, because we in the US are accustomed to seeing taxes on free and discounted things due to the sales taxation versus the VAT structure.

jamiel
Old Apr 13, 1999, 6:43 am
geo1004

Perhaps not identical to your situation in the UK, but here in the US I've been used to paying "departure taxes" to the government for international tickets, "service fees" to the airline for free tickets issued within a two week window prior to a free flight, and in one case, "airport fees" of about $3 when picking up a free ticket at the airline office. Nickel and dime theory I guess but I'm not going to complain.

Old Apr 13, 1999, 8:15 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Just curious, how much is the PSC?
Old Apr 13, 1999, 8:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for something in which I have requested an extra i.e. reward within 14 days, pick up ticket at airport, etc. I also 'understand' when the government levies a new tax or increase existing ones i.e. departure tax.

This isn't that however. This is a charge that has been part of the core ticket price for years, but the airlines have now decided to bring it out of the core price, and show it as an additional tax. This doesn't just affect reward tickets, but purchased ones as well (generally they hav'nt reduce the core ticket price). It also can be upto 15GBP per person, which at least to me, isn't nickel and dimes, especially if you are buying tickets for your family as well.

Worst case : You could find yourself with a reward seat, but having to pay a charge for the aircraft it is located in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.