Wiki Posts
Search

CO vs NW Elite Status in 1999

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 1999, 11:49 am
Original Member
Original Poster

CO vs NW Elite Status in 1999

I was just adding up my flights for 1999 trying to decide what was the best plan for achieving elite status when I discovered something interesting. So far, it looks as if I will have a minimum of 68 segements to fly in 1999. The actual miles for these trips is roughly 30,000. Why would I want to put those miles with NW when I will only achieve silver status when I would be GOLD at CO using their SEGMENT based accounting? Am I reading this right when it looks as if I could count my miles in the One Pass program while taking a majority of my flights on NW and still recieve the same benefits? Have I found a flaw in this alliance? Shouldn't NW go to a segment-based system like CO and DL? Tell me if I have missed something here!
Old Jan 3, 1999, 12:23 pm
Original Member

CALeeIII,

When I do the math you will be earning at least 34,000 miles for 68 segments. Both NW and CO offer a minimum of 500 miles for flights less than 500 miles.

As for the program benefits, both airlines now have 3 levels and the same # of flight miles are required to get to the next level.
The way I decided which program to redeem my miles in was this. I looked at my levels. I am only Preferred in NW but Gold in CO. Therefore, all of my flights in '99 (on both NW, CO, KLM, etc.) will be using my One Pass account so that I get the most bonus miles possible.

I hope that helped a little.
Old Jan 3, 1999, 7:50 pm
Original Member

CALEE: I think it also depends on whether you have any elite status with either airline right now. Keep in mind that you won't get any bonus mile unless you already are an elite. You could lost tens of thousands of miles that way, Also, if you hold the elite card of the airline you are flying, you always seem to get hight priority in upgrade and other treatment. For exampe, I know America West people always put their elite club members (at same and sometimes lower level of elite) before CO people.
Old Jan 3, 1999, 8:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Well, 34,000 miles is no where close to 50,000 required by NW to be GOLD. My point was I would be Gold if in the CO program. I am currently Gold at Delta where they do count segments. I had 78 for 1999 and a little less than 50,000. I have been less than thrilled with the upgrade availability with Delta this year. I was considering jumping ship. That's why I started looking into going back to NW and discovered the CO options. I was Gold at NW for several years ending about 4 years ago when I switched to Delta due to different destinations. Now, it appears I can go everywhere I need to go in 1999 in any of the three. Just weighing all my options.
Old Jan 3, 1999, 11:44 pm
Original Member

You may have indeed found something, not sure if I'd call it a loophole. Since CO counts segments or miles and NW only miles,
then you would make Gold with Onepass but not with Worldperks. Since the benefits
are the same between the 2 programs, you'd be better off using onepass.

Of course your gold elite benefits wont kick in until you 60th segment so for 90%(60/68) you won't get gold benefits. You'd have them for 2000 and on though.
Old Jan 4, 1999, 10:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Yes, that was my point. I'd easily make Gold for 2000 with OnePass while flying a majority of my flights on NW. That seemed a bit weird. But, why would I count them flights in NW when that would only be Silver. I certainly wouldn't do any of it unless OnePass matched my Gold Status at Delta for 99 to get my business. I have heard a lot about such actions on this board. That would be the only way to get me to switch. Think I would go back to nothing status just to switch? NO WAY. This elite stuff was one great idea for trapping customers for life!
Old Jan 6, 1999, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: United 1k
Here is an interesting question. What is going to happen
to the restrictions on CO Businessfirst awards?
There is nothing in the new chart that says NW members who
are less than gold must abide by the 30 day policy.
Is CO going to drop this rule now or does it continue?
How about CO points redeeming NW first class awards?
Old Jan 6, 1999, 10:59 pm
Original Member

CALeeIII:

One minor point, if you contact Continental
about comping you an elite level to switch.
I suggest you do NOT tell almost all of your flights are going to be on NW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.