Search

AMEX Deal: Hard to choose?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2000, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
AMEX Deal: Hard to choose?

Hi!

I am using Amex student card and (I assume) I have a good credit history. (Also before goto US I had a HKG student Amex with good credit history).

I want to apply mileage Amex, thinking about Starwood Amex or Delta Amex.

I don't fly DL (I am AA fan) but the 10000bonus (gold card? only and that $85 fee is must pay or waived?) is very attractive.

The starwood is good b'cos it is free but I already comped SPG Gold with application via a Plat member so the "1st year Gold SPG" with the card is not useful.

Which one should I select to apply? I don't think I will spend 10000 within 6 months since my university not accepting credit card for tutuition and boarding.

Any comment are welcome!!

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2000, 6:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I say go with starwood. You might want to go to check out the DL board. Some flyers there were a little upset over the changes to the Skymiles program for 2001.
Old Oct 5, 2000, 11:31 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I would apply for the Delta card - after getting your 10,000 bonus miles, I would call AMEX and ask to "change product" to the Starwood card. Therefore you get the best of both. You could also just apply for both cards - use Delta only for double mile promos (groceries, gas, etc), use starwood for everything else, and then cancel Delta when your free year is up. I no longer have the Delta card having done the above, and now use the starwood card whenever I can.

------------------
DtG
Old Oct 5, 2000, 1:18 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I just acquired a Delta Skymile Gold Card on Tuesday. I think this is the best deal - while the 50,000 bonus mile offer is in effect (I don't know much 'bout the Starwood Card - I'm pretty much hooked into Marriott already).

The current Delta offer is really at its best if:

(1) You will spend $10,000 in the next six months on the card, and
(2) You already have 50,000 FF miles on any single airline as of September 30, 2000.

If you meet these two criteria, you will get (by next September) the following:

10K bonus miles for signing up
10K, or maybe 11K or 12K if you buy gas, etc. for the purchases
50K bonus miles

$10,000 in spending plus an $85 annual fee nets you 70,000 Skymiles (that's with no actual DL flying activity). I haven't seen any credit card deals that can hang with that...

NOTE: If you are actually going to *fly* Delta, the Plat card might be a better value than the Gold because the extra 5,000 miles you get with Plat ($135 annual fee) count towards Medallion status. For me, I thought investing $85 for 70,000 miles was better than $135 for 75,000 miles.
Old Oct 5, 2000, 1:50 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd go Starwood Optima, since it's FREE, flexible, and also provides a 20k pts equal to 24k miles bonus!
Old Oct 5, 2000, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Since I am not flying DL, what miles I really need is AA or somehow transferable to AA (such as Starwood SPG).

Are there any method the DL miles from this AMEX promo be transferred to SPG (and than to AA) ?

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2000, 4:32 pm

If you do an archive search, you will find other threads on credit cards. Here's why I think Starwood is the best card:

1. It's free (DL isn't)

2. When you transfer 20,000 points, you get 25,000 miles. This 1.25 mile/dollar ratio is the best you can get.

3. You get "uncommitted" miles. You can build points in your Starwood account without committing them to one airline. Someday you might want to take a trip on a carrier that gives a cheaper mileage deal than Delta.

And if you use ClickRewards, you can transfer those points to Starwood. Doing so gives you two big bonuses:
1. ClickRewards points normally expire on Dec. 31 two years after you get them. By transferring them to Starwood, the points never expire.

2. When you transfer points from ClickRewards to Starwood, you also increase the reward ratio from 1:1 to 1.25 miles/1 ClickMile. In other words, you just gave yourself a 25% bonus.

One caution: If you look at the Starwood web site (www.preferredguest.com) you'll see notations next to some awards that say only points earned within the Starwood system can be used for those awards. This is incorrect. I have called Starwood several times (800.625.4990) and was told that once ClickReward points are in your account they can be used just like the points you acquire by staying at Starwood.
Old Oct 5, 2000, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS Gold75K, AS Board Room, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Another thing to consider about this jaw-dropping SkyMiles Amex offer is that (last I heard) you can then convert the heap of Delta Skymiles, if you so desire, into Hilton HHonors points at a ratio of 1:2.

Of course, there are many other great ways to put these miles to work, but the HHonors points are one excellent option. Most people who apply and get accepted, and then complete the requirements and see this offer through should rack up between 55-80K Skymiles in just 6 months...which means 110-160K HHonors Points if converted. This will get you 6 nights in Hawaii (100K HH), etc. plus some to boot.

In my case, I should clear about 57K Skymiles (114K HHonors) in 6 months time for really just the cost of the annual fee (peanuts compared to the value of the reward - at least $1350 for 6 nights at the Hilton Waikaloa). Just wish I had a mileage plan with the full 50K in it right now - my best is 31K, but it's still well worth it.

On the downside, I fear that dreaded term "inflation" may come into play here before too much longer. Already saw it in July when Hilton jacked up the Point Stretcher ante...best advice - act quick when the miles/points are a-flying and at least get them cashed in and a voucher in hand...or at the least, carefully watch your statements and websites for notices.

There are some great deals surfacing right now...this one...the new (no annual fee)Platinum Hilton Amex...etc. And you can carry both at the same time per Amex customer service - you just can't apply for both at the same time...i.e. if you carry one now, you can still apply for the other one.

Happy scheming and dreaming about your miles! - DS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.