Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Upgrade Domestic Flights Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2002, 3:34 pm
ShortyDog

Why Upgrade Domestic Flights Anymore?

I live in Dallas and have to fly American since they dominate the area. I fly monthly to Denver, Atlanta, Chicago and Phoenix and only upgrade my seat when my original seat is stuck somewhere in the middle of the plane. First class isn't really what it used to be and I would like to know how many people actually upgrade to first for something other than a better seat location. The choice of yogurt or cold cereal for breakfast really isn't my idea of "first class" service (although, I know the airlines are

Old Nov 11, 2002, 4:03 pm
jrd

Programs: DL:DM HH:Gold MR:Silver
I am with you. I don't try to upgrade to 1st class unless it is a 4+ hr flight. Even then, if the plane is not completely full, I would rather have seat next to me vacant rather than sit in a fully loaded 1st class. I do try to get upgraded to BE (on Delta) whenever available.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 4:54 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Two words. Free Booze.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
And a few more words:

1. Room to actually work. (Even on UA in Economy+, if there's someone in the middle seat and the person in front reclines, there's no way at 6'1" that I can actually use the laptop.

2. First off the plane. Those extra 10 minutes can be most helpful.

3. Usually no worries about overhead bin space.

4. (Usually) nicer meals.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
You are right on the short haul trips, such as DFW-PHX, DFW-DEN, etc. However going transcontinental, which living in DFW you wouldn't really do it pays off.

You might want to upgrade if you are on a 777 say from DFW-ORD, as the 777 is wonderful in business or first class.

I have been on some flights where there is only 2 or 3 other people in first class, and even on a MD-80 that is nicer than back in coach. It is nicer being first off the plane, and it is also nice not getting hit with everyones bags if you sit in the front of coach as the people make their way to the back of the bus.

Domestic short run first class isn't great, but at least on the flights around 1000 miles you might actually get a sandwich or a meal if you are flying at the right time.

You sometimes even sit next to people who are as witty and charming as yourself, something that is a rarity in coach these days. They also tend to know when to end a conversation, also a rarity in coach.

Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
I'm totally with you on this one. Have over 30 electronic upgrades in my AA account but haven't used any in over a year. Using 3 upgrades for DCA-DFW seems like such a waste. I've gotten used to coach on domestic flights- have never been in coach international. The times I've upgraded domestically in the past sould never understand what the big deal is. Could never bring myself to actually buy upgrades domestically, though I understand some do. The times I've sat in domestic F, it seemed such a joke. The least they could do is stop calling it first class- call it business or enhanced economy. It's definately not first class- and I'm not picking on AA- all the domestic carriers are pretty pathethic. These days, it's just basic transportation. Beats Greyhound and Amtrak at least.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
As a CO plat who hasn't flown AA in ages, I wonder if MRTC lives up to the billing, as that'd have a competitive leg up if more airlines tried to do what Delta does with its insULT fares (i.e. lock out space-available upgrades entirely to certain fares).

CO and NW sound like they have more generous upgrade policies, but then it's not so much that conditions in first class are great, it's that conditions in coach keep worsening. CO's domestic fleet is increasingly dominated by 737s, including the cramped 737-800. Schedule cuts aim to fill what flights are left even more (i.e. fewer empty middle seats). Then there are the RJs, where upgrades are meaningless. That might get me over to NW next year.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 7:07 pm

Leg room, free booze, faster off the plane, easier access to the lavoratory, and not having to deal with as many yahoos as in the back.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I upgrade on every flight I can, even those at an hour. Why not?

On Delta I never use all my coupons and throw some away, but even if they cost a little,I would upgrade for:
More legroom
More width
Chance of some kind of decent service
Free drinks
Maybe snacks
More bin space
First off the plane
More aware of what might be happening with delays.
Why not?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
As Delta Plat Medallion, upgrades are unlimited on qualifying fares (which I am on 99% of the time). Seats are wider with more pitch, FA's more pleasent, more o/h storage per passenger, quicker getting off plane, etc.
If I had to pay for or use certs from a finite supply to upgrade, I would probably not use them on short flights.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 10:19 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RustyC:
As a CO plat who hasn't flown AA in ages, I wonder if MRTC lives up to the billing, as that'd have a competitive leg up if more airlines tried to do what Delta does with its insULT fares (i.e. lock out space-available upgrades entirely to certain fares).</font>
as a 6'3" NW plat and DL silver who recently began converting to AA, i can tell you that MRTC does live up to the billing. the worst case scenario is survivable, and since i got gold on AA, i've booked tickets on flights with zero available seats on the seatmap--something i'd never do on NW/CO. despite my 100% upgrade record on NW in the last two years, i'm flying coach on AA more and more, because the schedules are better, and the difference between NW F and AA Y isn't enough to send me hours out of my way.

i started my switch to AA because of DL's addition of T class, making it nearly impossible to upgrade there. i was pleasantly surprised, and have seen a lot of my NW flying shift as well.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:41 am

I only upgrade if the flight is crowded and if I've got some e-certs ready to expire.

If I'm on UAL and have the E+ seats, or American and have the coach seats up front and an aisle seat, I'm good to go.

But I am low maintenance, so others may have different opinions.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I have never upgraded before except in a starwood property which was nice.

On the planes, i have only flown first class twice, which was nice.

never really cared.
I suppose the only real gripes I ever had on a flight involved three minor things, in retrospect:

1) headphone jack failed to work without me holding it a certain way the whole time. But then I happened to have a bandaide in my pouch so I used that to hold it in. Also, headphones had cost $5 per on some AA flights so i brought my own and hid the ear things from site. Fortunatly they have since done away with this fee. Good.

2) seat in front of my was loose a bit so it bounced a bit. I mentioned it so they would maybe fix it for their next trip but was able to move. This happened to me on a few flights and some have been too full to move. Oh well, you get what you pay for and so I lived with that too. I suppose newer planes are better!

3) meals I must admit, are OK and the last United trip I took to Vegas had great chicken lunch. If I think I need something better, I bring my own sandwich. I do that if I fly EasyJet overseas or Southwest here.

I think First class would be nice but even though I fly a lot for leisure, I have not needed the things it gives people. I cant realy sleep on a plane anyway unless I was so tired anyway.

But these are all just my thoughts and my own experiences. I suppose flying first would be nice but the price or policies on upgrades seems rather tough for me to deal with. I just got Gold and Premire on AA and United so maybe I will give it a try but always try to remembe that it is a BONUS and nothing for me to expect unless I pay the fare for it.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:35 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
My wife flies using segment upgrades for flights under 3 hours. If she doesn't get the upgrade it's not a problem since AA has MRTC and she's not a tall person. If it's over 3 hours we consider using points to upgrade, especially if she gets stuck in a middle seat. Having elite status usually gets her in the front of coach so she isn't concerned about getting off the plane quickly. She doesn't drink so that's not a concern. It's really a matter of her feeling good about being in FC. I usually buy her the upgrades as a birthday or christmas present so when she hits on an upgrade, I earn brownie points
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
ahh yes, being IN or OUT of the dog house!
Yes, wives and other people do like FC for this reason...

Not that women or men are the issue here, but yeah, my wife would sure like to fly FC so for this reason, I will take my chances to get her a nice seat when we can!
thanks for the tip (man, I should have known...automatically!! ha ha)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.