Search

Thoughts on Upgrading when traveling with others

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2002, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Thoughts on Upgrading when traveling with others

Doppy

------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do people think about upgrading you and a companion when you're traveling in a group of 4 or more?

I wouldn't upgrade in a group of three, as two of us in front and one alone in the back seems rude. But, two in front and two in the back seems fine to me, especially if we couldn't have gotten seats close to eachother anyway. And I figure in a group larger than 4 it's even more acceptable, since there'd be plenty of other people in the back. I would only do it in the 2/4+ situation, where two of us would be upgraded out of a group of four or more, not where it would be just me upgraded and one or more people in coach.

I think people who earned their status should be able to take advantage of it without generating any negative feelings.

But, that's just what I think. What do you guys think?

d

moondog

Whenever I'm in that situation, I always let my companions take the upgraded seats first. I figure it would be rude of me to take care of myself first, plus less frequent travelers seem to be more appreciative of business and first class.

pointsgirl

Hmmm I have to say that I would not mind if I was traveling with someone and they were upgraded and I was not. I am really comfortable in coach. My boyfriend is very tall, so he is not comfy in back. I would rather he be comfortable.
Old Mar 8, 2002, 8:38 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
The only case when I would consider upgrading is if would definetely be seperated on that particular flight.

If there is a chance of getting seats together preassigned, no upgrade for me...
Old Mar 8, 2002, 9:12 am
Suspended

i agree with rcs85551, although i think he/she is missing a verb or something.

plop my fat happy rump in an exit row seat, all the better.
Old Mar 8, 2002, 10:45 am

Programs: Plat Marriott, GM Delta, 1K United
I travel frequently with groups of people -- if I was taking someone on their first major trip I wouldn't upgrade -- otherwise, my "gang" all knows I'll move up front at the first chance. They are not offended in the least (especially since they are usually traveling free on my miles)
Old Mar 8, 2002, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I think it all depends on the circumstances.

We recently took 6 employees, in addition to Hunki and I, to Vegas. We had tons of 4/30/02 expiring upgrades so we upgrade everybody on every flight where there was a 1st class seat available.

On the other hand we recently took 3 employees to a show in New Orleans via UA and were only able to upgrade one employee, for one segment using 500 mile certs.

When I am traveling with only one employee or child, I usually try to upgrade them, but since we all earn and use our upgrades differently and I don't think anyone should ever feel guilty about the choices they make on how to spend them.

Old Mar 8, 2002, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
There's one hard and fast rule of thumb for upgrades when travelling with anothe rperson:

It's a brave (or more likely very stupid) man who upgrades himself and lets his wife sit in coach.

Other than that there are no rules.
Old Mar 8, 2002, 12:22 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
There's one hard and fast rule of thumb for upgrades when travelling with anothe rperson:

It's a brave (or more likely very stupid) man who upgrades himself and lets his wife sit in coach.

Other than that there are no rules.
</font>
Even those rules are made to be broken. My wife and I are BOTH USAirways Gold Preferred and we both understand the value of upgrades. If one of us chooses to stay up until midnight to call in to confirm upgrades, it is understood that the person calling will get the upgrade if there is only one available. I DO give my wife first choice of whether she wants to make the call or not. Also, when we are both on the standby list, we tend to take turns on who gets the seat if there is only one available. I suspect that the fact that we are both large people means that sitting together in coach seats is physically less comfortable than sitting next to the average stranger which means that we are not terribly unhappy when our partner gets upgraded but not us.
I also think that the fact that with equal status, we each have an equal shot at that First Class seat (unlike spouses of many Frequest Flyers) makes a difference in attitude.

[This message has been edited by rtpflyer (edited 03-08-2002).]
Old Mar 8, 2002, 12:24 pm

I took a fc seat and left my wife in coach. I really thought me bringing her the ice cream sundae was a good touch. She told me what I could do with it.
Old Mar 8, 2002, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I went to Vegas with 3 friends we had a contest - the biggest winner and the biggest loser would get the two upgrade seats on the way home. I got one of the two seats, but I'm not going to tell you why.

That was a fun way of allocating the seats, and either way, the two in coach would be sitting next to eachother, so there'd be no hard feelings.

d
Old Mar 8, 2002, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have upgraded myself when employees or business partners could not get an upgrade. I must admit I have had funny feelings about it but decided it was okay.

When traveling with wife and kids, I will never upgrade if they can't. Even if the upgrade for me is free (such as on NW or CO).

Old Mar 8, 2002, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I'll upgrade without a glance back over my shoulder if the person I'm traveling with has experience traveling. My miles are MINE and hard earned.

Old Mar 8, 2002, 2:55 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I wont sit in coach if I dont have to. And there are only CERTAIN people who I would deem worthy of upgrading...FWIW, none of them are co-workers....
Old Mar 8, 2002, 3:04 pm

For business travel, if my traveling companions can't upgrade, I won't. But we typically buy full-fare tix, so sometimes a gate upgrade is pretty inexpensive, so it works out for everyone (assuming there are first class seats available).
For leisure travel, I would NEVER upgrade and leave my wife in coach, under any circumstances. But sometimes pleading to a nice gate agent goes a long way to bring her up front with me.
Old Mar 8, 2002, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2MM; UA LT Gold MM; HH LT Diamond; Marriott Tit LT PLT
Want to make your wife love you even more?

When taking a family trip and only one upgrade was available, I took it and gave it to my mother-in-law.

Old Mar 8, 2002, 4:45 pm

In our dept, we almost never sit together when traveling. So none of us feels any guilt when upgrading just ourselves.

I figure I am going to be spending 15 or 16 hours a day with my co workers once I get to the destination, I don't really need to spend my time on the plane next to them also.

Just my thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.