FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:13 pm
transpac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had mentioned an open-air Thai restaurant in the Banglamphu/Khao San Road area before. I had a chance to go back Sunday evening so added that to our Google map. It is on Phra Sumen, directly across from the entrance to Wat Bowon Niwet. (This is a famous temple as several Chakri Kings have served their monkhood there; Rama 4 was head abbot for 20 years before assuming the throne, the current King also served his monkhood there. The chedi is huge, and makes a great landmark. It is currently shrouded in scaffolding for repairs.) I think the name of this restauarant is Bowon Niwet Rice Porridge, but don't be misled by the name. At each seat you will find both a bowl of rice and a bowl of rice porridge (jook). There are dining areas immediately ont he left at the entrance, down the alleyway (walk down to the canal) and even an air-con section. A huge variety, all well prepared. Quite busy much of the time I've been there.